E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone want a bargain wi-fi router?

06-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Anyone want a bargain wi-fi router?

I bought a brand new Belkin Playmax 600N HD router a few months ago and ever since have suffered poor internet connection.

Unfortunately, because I am a plonker I never checked to see if it was compatible with my ISP, Talk Talk, and just went a bought what I thought was the best router I could. Upon calling Talk Talk today finally fed up of not being able to use things like iPlayer without every other second being presented with the loading symbol, I'm told that my problems are because they don't support that router. Low and behold, I go and buy a supported router and my internet speed doubles (still only to 1.7mbps as my line apparently has a limit of 2mbps ....just imagine how slow it was before!).

So, if you're NOT on Talk Talk and fancy this top of the range 3-month-old router for a lot cheaper than what you can currently get a new one for, then send me a PM.

Here is a link to the details of the router http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=515400

Cheapest online is currently around £75 so first come first served....£40 delivered!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I bought a brand new Belkin Playmax 600N HD router a few months ago and ever since have suffered poor internet connection.

Unfortunately, because I am a plonker I never checked to see if it was compatible with my ISP, Talk Talk, and just went a bought what I thought was the best router I could. Upon calling Talk Talk today finally fed up of not being able to use things like iPlayer without every other second being presented with the loading symbol, I'm told that my problems are because they don't support that router. Low and behold, I go and buy a supported router and my internet speed doubles (still only to 1.7mbps as my line apparently has a limit of 2mbps ....just imagine how slow it was before!).

So, if you're NOT on Talk Talk and fancy this top of the range 3-month-old router for a lot cheaper than what you can currently get a new one for, then send me a PM.

Here is a link to the details of the router http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=515400

Cheapest online is currently around £75 so first come first served....£40 delivered!
Andy

Will it work with broadband supplied by SKY on a BT Line?

If so I will have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can't see why not mate, especially BT as it actually had BT on the label in the shop lol!

If it doesnt work I'll take it back.

I'll give you a bell later on to sort it out

Edit...maybe I won't give you a call now I've read you're in Spain. Give me a call when you get back (and try not to let the forecast storms that are about to cover Spain ruin your holiday )
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Andy

Will it work with broadband supplied by SKY on a BT Line?

If so I will have it.
Looks like not, but you can disable the wireless on the Sky router and use the Belkin as a WAP.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadban...ght/true#M4906

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadban...ght/true#M2274
      06-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Looks like not, but you can disable the wireless on the Sky router and use the Belkin as a WAP.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadban...ght/true#M4906

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadban...ght/true#M2274
Ah fair enough.....goodness knows what these fancy routers are supposed to be used for then? Just for the Wifi bit as you suggest? It was great for wifi connection across multiple gadgets (big range, solid connection) but it never delivered the speed as a router

Why cant All these ISPs using their own routers make them work universally? Surely they all require similar settings?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Ah fair enough.....goodness knows what these fancy routers are supposed to be used for then? Just for the Wifi bit as you suggest? It was great for wifi connection across multiple gadgets (big range, solid connection) but it never delivered the speed as a router

Why cant All these ISPs using their own routers make them work universally? Surely they all require similar settings?
It looks like it's mostly connection settings that are the problem (addresses etc.). It looks like Sky restricts access to this information.

I've replaced my Virgin router with an Apple Airport and it works fine, and I've used the Virgin router on my Mum's Talk Talk line.

They're not always easy to configure - I've spent a lot of time dicking around trying to get things to work. I've you've got no idea about IP addresses and the like, it can be a right PITA trying to get things working.
      06-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

oh well thats a shame. Weather is superb and will stay hot for the next 5 days, back in the UK on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
I've replaced my Virgin router with an Apple Airport and it works fine
Straight swop? No dicking about?
My Virgin router is poo,constantly dropping out!

Quote:
oh well thats a shame. Weather is superb and will stay hot for the next 5 days, back in the UK on Wednesday.
I'd stay there, it's shite here (weather)

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
sonef
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
The 192.168.11 Router WAN Settings page lets you set networking parameters for your router, including IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and 1:1 NAT. These settings are available for both static and DHCP configurations.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonef View Post
The 192.168.11 Router WAN Settings page lets you set networking parameters for your router, including IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and 1:1 NAT. These settings are available for both static and DHCP configurations.
Bruh this thread dates back to 2011.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #11
Konstantusqei
Registered
Kenya
Rep
Drives: Man

Where is Administration e90post.com?

Can I contact Administration?
It is about advertisement on your website.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0