E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MP3 on Professional audio with nav & idrive

05-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #23
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
The way that i see it that the idrive is a onboard computer with a operating system. If the operating system does not support mp3's it will not play it. Al the hardware can be mp3 compatable and can read the mp3 but as soon as the signal reach the computer idrive it cannot decode it. So i personally think that this is a software issue. The idrive needs to be upgraded so that it can decode the mp3's.
And hopefully they will give us an upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #24
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Can anyone confirm with any certainty that the lack of mp3 playback on the in-dash CD player for e90's with iDrive/Navigation is due to a lack of software that would be possible to upgrade? I have always assumed that this was a hardware issue that needed to be resolved (like the lack of a chip or chipset) and this mp3 playback deficiency was simply inherent in the physical equipment of the iDrive in-dash CD & Nav. DVD unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 04:40 AM   #25
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

RedStripe

On the E60 5 Series none of the cars could play MP3 in the beginning.
Then BMW said thise without NAV and with professional radio would get it in March. After the March software upgrade they did have MP3.
The ones with Professional NAV have now been promissed the September software would allow MP3

Since the E90 and E60 share lots of NAV parts I would assume it would get the MP3 capability at the same time as the E60
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 05:39 AM   #26
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I was certain that I read in the brochure that MP3's would only be able to play in the 6-disk changer if you have the Navi and idrive. Now it doesn't work. I really think this is a hardware issue. The changer they probably gave you was a old one or something. There should be a new one comming.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #27
Flash
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

the 6 disk changer they put in with the business radio which can play the mp3 are the same 6 disk changer they put in with the nav system.
So this is not a hardware problem. The business radio can decode the mp3 and the nav system cannot. Ask the dealer the they dont have a differant 6 disk changer for the nav system and the proffesional radio. It is the same with a computer i can put the latest cd-rom drive in my computer which can read everything but if i dont have a mp3 progam which can read and decode the mp3's the computer will not be able to play it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:04 PM   #28
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for all your amazing info E90Fleet. In the US, I think all radios are Professional, regardless of having iDrive or not.

For curiousity, can you explain what the difference is between Professional and Business radios? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
RedStripe

Then BMW said thise without NAV and with professional radio would get it in March. After the March software upgrade they did have MP3.
The ones with Professional NAV have now been promissed the September software would allow MP3

Since the E90 and E60 share lots of NAV parts I would assume it would get the MP3 capability at the same time as the E60
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #29
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Thanks for all your amazing info E90Fleet. In the US, I think all radios are Professional, regardless of having iDrive or not.

For curiousity, can you explain what the difference is between Professional and Business radios? Thanks.
Business radio only has a small screen with very basic information. On other cars Business only has 1 tuner and Professional has 2, but on the E90 there is a bit of onfusion of it has 1 or 2 on the Professional.

Professional usually has more equalizer control aswell

Only Professional can play MP3

Here is a pic of the Professional radio, and the second of the Business
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 04:27 AM   #30
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Ok, I want to finalize my order soon, and I've come to realize I would really value the iDrive mainly for the Navigation utility. However, I refuse to compromise the mp3 play ability of the in-dash CD player after paying $2000 more for this option.

I'm really hopeful that, as discussed in this thread, it would be viable to upgrade the Professional radio included in US spec iDrive/Nav systems through a software update which would give it mp3 play capability.

However, I want to make as sure as possible before ordering. Is there anyway to contact an official at BMW directly to see if this will be the case? I would rather hear from someone with direct contact to a BMW engineer/designer/developer on this instead of a salesperson at a local dealership. Does anyone have any contact info for something like this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 04:32 AM   #31
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
RedStripe

E90Fleet, do you have first hand experience with the e60 on this as you mentioned above. In other words, did you actually experience seeing a 5 series "without Nav and with professional radio" getting a software upgrade and then being able to play mp3's? That's how I first read your post, but I didn't want this to be the case of it being e60's produced since March can play mp3's because they have updated Professional Radio units installed at the factory. Thanks.
Appreciate 0