E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Underseat Subwoofer

08-23-2018, 04:46 AM   #1
Liamhogan91
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 335d

Underseat Subwoofer

Hi
I recently upgraded my speakers to the alpine kit. now the subs are inadequate and struggling, I'm just wondering if there are any direct swaps for the standards which will give me a better sound, ideally some alpines so there all the same brand. Also I believe I have the normal 6inch sub, as it was just a standard system if I was to up them to the 8inch is there much modifying that needs to be done thanks in advance 👍
Liam
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamhogan91 View Post
Hi
I recently upgraded my speakers to the alpine kit. now the subs are inadequate and struggling, I'm just wondering if there are any direct swaps for the standards which will give me a better sound, ideally some alpines so there all the same brand. Also I believe I have the normal 6inch sub, as it was just a standard system if I was to up them to the 8inch is there much modifying that needs to be done thanks in advance 👍
Liam
Whilst your options are limited, you do have some options....

So you could try and pick up the Logic 7 subwoofers, these are 8" and have a slightly deeper enclosure but are OEM so would be a direct swap I believe. Could be worth asking in the classified section as I've seen these pop up every now and then.

Then you have the Earthquake SWS subs - http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...rs/sws-8x.aspx

These have proven to be really quite good but also a bit pricey (note price is per speaker!), again these sometimes pop up in the classifieds but not very often. These will fit into the existing enclosure with a tiny modification I believe.

Finally you have these MB Quarts - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-...oAAOSww1dZzQ6N

Again these are a direct fit into the existing enclosure and are pretty good, I installed a pair into a friends E60 and when powered they put out decent bass.

I think there are a couple of other (cheaper) options similar to the above but I would probably stick to those noted here.

There is another option which is the route I have gone down.... When I upgraded my door and rear shelf speakers, like you I was missing the thump to back up the sound however, I installed a sub into the boot and used crossovers in the doors and subs to make the underseat subs more like mids.... (which is really what they are anyway) with a bit of EQ work it sounds pretty damned good. You can get an enclosure that fits above the battery or in the space under the boot (where the spare would normally be). These will undoubtedly sound better simply because they can push more air.

Another thing I've just remembered, if you have the base system and you've upgraded the speakers then you will want to have your head unit coded to HiFi as the stock EQ pattern is designed to compensate for the pathetic speakers the BMW install on this system. Someone on the forum here should be able to help out if you drop a message in the "Coders" sticky.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
LucasAry
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Whilst your options are limited, you do have some options....

So you could try and pick up the Logic 7 subwoofers, these are 8" and have a slightly deeper enclosure but are OEM so would be a direct swap I believe. Could be worth asking in the classified section as I've seen these pop up every now and then.

Then you have the Earthquake SWS subs - http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...rs/sws-8x.aspx

These have proven to be really quite good but also a bit pricey (note price is per speaker!), again these sometimes pop up in the classifieds but not very often. These will fit into the existing enclosure with a tiny modification I believe.

Finally you have these MB Quarts - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-...oAAOSww1dZzQ6N

Again these are a direct fit into the existing enclosure and are pretty good, I installed a pair into a friends E60 and when powered they put out decent bass.

I think there are a couple of other (cheaper) options similar to the above but I would probably stick to those noted here.

There is another option which is the route I have gone down.... When I upgraded my door and rear shelf speakers, like you I was missing the thump to back up the sound however, I installed a sub into the boot and used crossovers in the doors and subs to make the underseat subs more like mids.... (which is really what they are anyway) with a bit of EQ work it sounds pretty damned good. You can get an enclosure that fits above the battery or in the space under the boot (where the spare would normally be). These will undoubtedly sound better simply because they can push more air.

Another thing I've just remembered, if you have the base system and you've upgraded the speakers then you will want to have your head unit coded to HiFi as the stock EQ pattern is designed to compensate for the pathetic speakers the BMW install on this system. Someone on the forum here should be able to help out if you drop a message in the "Coders" sticky.

Hope that helps
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

With the Alpine upgrade I've run stock subs, MB Quarts and Gladen.

For you I'd definitely try and get a pair of the logic 7 ones but failing that the MB Quart ones are good for the money.
      08-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Liamhogan91
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 335d

Thanks guys appreaciate it.. the logic 7 I heard lack in bass or am I mistaken? I don't want anything crazy and would ideally like to stay away from putting an extra sub in the boot did all that when I was younger just after a clean sounding system with decent bass tbh... with a stock look.. appreaciate all the help thank you 👍👌
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Msportshqwn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E61 530d Msport

Im in the same boat, just needing a bit extra, changed everything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamhogan91 View Post
Thanks guys appreaciate it.. the logic 7 I heard lack in bass or am I mistaken? I don't want anything crazy and would ideally like to stay away from putting an extra sub in the boot did all that when I was younger just after a clean sounding system with decent bass tbh... with a stock look.. appreaciate all the help thank you 👍👌
Logic 7 ones will be good and sound just right with the Alpines. Remember the Alpine amp will be driving them.
      08-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Do you still need to code to go with alpine amp and logic 7s?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
Do you still need to code to go with alpine amp and logic 7s?
Ideally they say you should code when fitting the alpine kit but it’s not mandatory. Mine is still as bass even though I’m running aftermarket amp and speakers etc.