E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > how to set phone button so it doesn't dial

11-23-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

how to set phone button so it doesn't dial

When I press the phone button the steering wheel, it immediately calls the number listed for Home.

I'm getting a little tired of having to pretend that I really meant to do that when my wife answers!

Anyone know how to control this? I'd rather that this button activated the main phone menu -- with the A-Z phone book.
      11-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

i don't think it's possible. it also annoys me that when you push the phone button on the radio (non-idrive) it does the same thing. You have to hold the button to get the menu. poor planning on BMW's part...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
The phone option dials the last call that was made or to hang up. I think it was really made just to hang up the current call.(thats what I use it for)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep

Are you saying that if you hold the Phone button a little longer, a menu comes up? Or do you mean the Menu button?

Also, if a call is coming in, does the Phone button accept? I am afraid it might hang it up.
      11-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

if you hold the button down, the phone menu will pop up

also the button can be used to pickup or drop calls with a quick press
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i use the phone button to pick up my calls and to end them. rarely will i use the idrive knob to accept the call.

i also programed my "diamond" button on the otherside to bring up my phonebook for me. i notice that you have iDrive, so you should be able to do the same. very convenient.
      11-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep

I tried holding down the Phone button a little longer -- but once again, I ended up having to explain to my wife why I was calling the house from the garage.

Maybe it's something unique to my 710
      11-25-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven
I tried holding down the Phone button a little longer -- but once again, I ended up having to explain to my wife why I was calling the house from the garage.

That must of been a tough one....

What software version are you on?

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
BMRAMA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
Since you have the ZPP, I suggest the voice commands for dialing people.

With my phone, a V330, the entries in the address book did not become voice command options, but it's very simple to add people.

Push the voice command button on the steering wheel, the one above the call button. At the beep say "save name," then you will be prompted for other info. When you are done giving it the phone number just say "save name" again, or "save number."

Then when you want to call someone, push the voice command button, wait for the beep and say "Dial Name." It will prompt you for the name you want to call, say the name, confirm the name and it will dial.

When entering numbers, only say single digits, don't say "fifty nine sixty;" it will not understand.

Another plus with this is you only have to push 1 button - no looking at the screens and trying to scroll through names.

Hope this helps

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven

I have the v710 as well. If you hold it and press it for a second, the menu will pop up. Dont keep holding it. Release it when you see the menu pop up.

The same goes for the button on the stereo. You have to press and hold for a second, then it will get you to the menu.

May I suggest setting up your voice dialing. Once you set it up, you can use your voice commands to dail people. It shouldnt take maore than 20 min to set up all of your important numbers. This way you can save time from scrolling, and all you have to do is say "Dial Name", "The name" and then "Yes". After all that, it dials... no buttons pushed other than the voice command button...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

I have a razr and idrive. I tried "save name" "save number" neither worked. So then I tried "dial name (or number, can't remember)" and then he asked me what name and my idrive went to the phone book. I said a name in the book and then idrive went to the name and asked if i wanted to call it. However, I never programmed voice dialing on my razr. I guess the idrive can read the names in my phone book. It even handled an uncommon name right, but he F'd it up when he said "dialing person's name ", but it dialed the name still.

Ok I was just messing with it again and I had a hard time getting it to recognize "home" and "house".

Last edited by natalia; 12-11-2005 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep

I gave up on the Phone button -- I just use it if a call is coming and I want to answer. Just the other day, my wife called and said, don't call home because our daughter's taking a nap. I used the Phone button to hang up -- and it immediately dialed her cell phone. It seems like the Phone button will call the last number dialed. I figured that was like some final warning from the tech gods to stay away from the Phone button -- "no good will ever come of trying to master this feature"

I use the iDrive joystick to do everthing -- never really got comfortable with the voice system, which is fine. I programmed one of the steering wheel buttons to display the phone book, so I've got everything I need.

I love the "last 8 dialed" feature -- that's the one I usually use to dial out.