E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Space between front bumper and hood

01-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #1
wdas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D e90

Space between front bumper and hood

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello all. I have recently purchased a bmw e90 320d 2005. When I went to check out the car I lifted the hood and closed after inspection, noticed a small gap on the driver side, so I thought maybe I haven't closed the hood properly. However when I got the car did all the checks and etc, and now I constantly notice that gap. I have attached a file.

After closer look I noticed that the holders of the headlights have been fixed after breaking, there is also a small broken part on the front panel. I thought I have to replace the entire front panel, but then I decided to try to move the bumper, also tried to put spacers to lift that side, but it just lifted the rear back - where the screw is and the front part of the bumper still has a big gap.

Few days ago, I was browsing cars for parts for few bumpers, and I noticed the same thing on another car all the way from UK, so I guess there is a chance to fix this without buying whole front panel. I watched several videos on youtube but they are mostly fixing the hood, I believe the hood is aligned properly - as you can see from the pic they align perfect with fenders and headlights.

Do you have any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:00 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The headlight sits in a headlight bracket and the bumper sides onto that bracket. That bracket does have adjustment. The headlight also has adjustment within that bracket. There’s a lot of adjustment points.

You can remove the front bumper and access the headlight bracket bolts on the side.(side closest to kidney grills) loosen those bolts and loosen the bolts on top of the headlight. Then slide the bracket up and tighten the bolts and test fit the bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mike K313.00
      01-11-2022, 12:04 AM   #3
wdas
Private
Rep

Edit:I just saw the image, I will try to do this.

ps:I just read another topic, and the guy was suggesting to unscrew the 4 (on each side) 13mm screws that hold the crash bar behind the bumper and try to lift it up, as the old bars have slots instead of simple holes, so the have adjustability, any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:14 AM   #4
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

There is adjustment there too. Probably 1/4” or a little bit more of adjustment. But remember, your hood latches are on that support that you will move up, you’ll have to adjust the hood latch/striker height and the rubber stoppers too, if not your hood will sit higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:20 AM   #5
wdas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
There is adjustment there too. Probably 1/4” or a little bit more of adjustment. But remember, your hood latches are on that support that you will move up, you’ll have to adjust the hood latch/striker height and the rubber stoppers too, if not your hood will sit higher.
Yes, I understand, the hood has a bit of trouble closing, so I might need to lift that up first. Just wondering about the sequence, can I access the bolts after just removing the bumper or I have to remove the headlights as well?

Also wouldn't it be easier to first start with the headlight carrier adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:23 AM   #6
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
May be a silly suggestion but on my car I thought I had a misalignment as well but it turns out my hood just doesn't latch easily on that side. Worth a shot to make sure it's pushed completely down and latched.

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:24 AM   #7
wdas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luper52 View Post
May be a silly suggestion but on my car I thought I had a misalignment as well but it turns out my hood just doesn't latch easily on that side. Worth a shot to make sure it's pushed completely down and latched.
Yes I've read this somewhere, but I have closed the hood several times, not a change. Also isn't there just a central latch? The hood itself seems perfectly aligned with the fenders, so that's why I believe the gap is from the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:27 AM   #8
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I know you probably have closed the hood before but have you done one last solid push on that side just to be absolutely positive? It's about the same size gap mine had and it's on the same side. There's three latches, one in the middle for opening and two on the side for security.

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #9
wdas
Private
Rep

I pushed it several times with a bit of force, as once in my previous car I did not close it so I saw it moving during driving. But nothing wrong with trying to do it once again before having to remove the bumper. Will try.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #10
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

The sides on the hood look fine with the fender.
If you think your hood isn’t closing, you can close it like normally and grab the hood from the edge and try to lift it. If it’s not latched, it will move up and down a little if the other side is latched.

But yes, it would be easier to start with the headlight bracket adjustment. That bracket holds the light and the bumper, so it might help.
You can access the headlight bracket bolts with the bumper removed and you can also access the bumper bar bolts with the bumper removed.

If your hood has trouble closing, then maybe you do need to raise the entire support up on that side.
you can also adjust the hood by itself with the strikers on the edges of the hood. They screw in or out from the hood.
Appreciate 1
Luper5258.50
      01-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #11
wdas
Private
Rep

Yesterday I took a closer look under the hood, I notice a huge gap and broken part of the plastic, also one of the plastic/rubber screws that holds the bumper support to the radiators is screwed inclined, seems like the top portion of the bumper support is broken and tilted to the front of the car, so I guess I will buy a second hand bumper support, when the weather is hotter and I will replace it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #12
wdas
Private
Rep

Few days ago I noticed another car with the same distance, and then another... so I guess even if the front plastic is broken is not the reason for the difference, I will wait for a warmer weather and will try the mentioned steps to align the bumper properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 01:50 AM   #13
wdas
Private
Rep

To add to the topic, the issue was resolved by the holder of the headlight and a bit of cutting of plastic to force the plastic to move upwards, now the bumper looks really good. It takes some time and bumper and healight holder removal (on the side of the space ).
Appreciate 0