E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6-Speed Auto wont move! Sealing sleeve cracked

09-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
ShakeZoola
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

6-Speed Auto wont move! Sealing sleeve cracked

You guys think the cracking in this sealing sleeve is enough to cause the transmission to completely not engage drive or reverse??

Basically the car won't move in any gear, occasionally lurches. My plan was to drop and and drain the pan inspect for metal then check the sleeves and replace the solenoids. If the car still didn't move I would replace the entire mechatronic unit or transmission gear box.

I already purchased the solenoids for the mechatronic so I may go ahead and replace them too while I have it off the car but I was thinking this sleeve might be the culprit. Cracked on both sides and inner piece was no longer attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Yes. Sleeve blows, fluid pressure gone, no function.
Problem is, if it was allowed to get too bad, the clutches may be burnt.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
ShakeZoola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Yes. Sleeve blows, fluid pressure gone, no function.
Problem is, if it was allowed to get too bad, the clutches may be burnt.
Okay thanks for the input, thats what I was thinking about the sleeve. So I may not change the solenoids then. Probably no way to determine the condition of the clutches without driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeZoola View Post
You guys think the cracking in this sealing sleeve is enough to cause the transmission to completely not engage drive or reverse??

Basically the car won't move in any gear, occasionally lurches. My plan was to drop and and drain the pan inspect for metal then check the sleeves and replace the solenoids. If the car still didn't move I would replace the entire mechatronic unit or transmission gear box.

I already purchased the solenoids for the mechatronic so I may go ahead and replace them too while I have it off the car but I was thinking this sleeve might be the culprit. Cracked on both sides and inner piece was no longer attached.
How old / many miles are on that sleeve? How often. Did you change the trans oil?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
ShakeZoola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
How old / many miles are on that sleeve? How often. Did you change the trans oil?
trans scan said 77k miles I have drained the oil now. But im unsure on the history of the car It was just purchased from auction.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Well definitely reassemble and drive, nothing to lose.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Well definitely reassemble and drive, nothing to lose.
This. While you have the valve body apart...I would also replace those 4 sleeve seals.

Those transmissions are pretty tough.....if it senses any type of slipping in the clutch packs , they will usually go into a limp mode to keep you from hurting anything.

Put new seals in, a new filter pan, and fill it up with the correct ZF fluid (or Valvoline Max Life ATF fluid) and give it a shot.

Look up the proper refill procedure....the trans has to be at a certain temp when you fill it, you can check the temp with INPA.
Appreciate 0