E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 won't start after rebuild. DSC, DBC, and Fuel pump errors.

07-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

N54 won't start after rebuild. DSC, DBC, and Fuel pump errors.

I have been asking on the FB groups but I am here...

Engine had rod knock so I rebuilt it. Engine cranks but will not start.

So far: New battery, new starter, and cleaned up engine ground, that allowed my motor to crank.

That is it. I pulled my plugs and they are dry. My BT cable cannot read engine codes - cannot connect to module and INPA has a script error whenever I try to enter in injector values.

When I turn on my ignition, the low pressure fuel pump comes on and stays on until I turn the car off. BT shows a CED4 - Cannot connect to engine module error.

I also have a DSC and DBC errors. All of this relates to either the DME (MSD81) or CAS (Car access system).

Can anyone help me? I just want to drive my car again.

Last edited by oilcrankinject; 09-21-2020 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Did you rebuilt the engine yourself and what else you have done to diagnose the issue other than scanning for fault codes and checking the spark plugs?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

You have no idea.

I rebuilt the engine myself. It turns over, just wont start.

Verified DME wiring (3x)
Checked main grounds (all good)
Checked the voltage on the coils and injectors (battery voltage on 2/3 points on coils, 3rd is ground, and box points on injectors.
Checked at least 20 different fuses.
Spent hours and hours on newtis.info looking for wiring diagrams.

I think my faults are all related but I do now how. My DME is supply power to coils and injectors but I cannot connect to it read codes or change stuff with INPA.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

1. Assuming you checked fuses?

2. Negative cable coming off the battery is known to corrode pretty bad, but underneath the battery, I believe. Even if the terminal on top looks healthy, I'd yank the battery and just check for corrosion.

3. Are you able to confirm there is spark? I'd pull a plug, put it into the removed coil, and then try starting the engine. If you have no spark then you could at least start eliminating possibilities.

Not too long ago, I read about another forum member who had a similar issue and it ended up being the timing was out 180 degrees.
      09-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update 1:

Since my last post, car would crank but would not start them bam, locked up. Shop wanted $9k for a new engine. I pulled the engine and discovered timing had slipped. 12 bent exhaust valves. I picked up a used but good head and installed it with new friction discs (3) torque to 100nm plus 360 degrees.

Again, engine cranks but wont start.

Same error persists. I have found a half dozen related threads with no resolutions.

I installed a used DME, same errors.
Appreciate 0