E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #2619
bluescoupe
motorhead
bluescoupe's Avatar
42
Rep
454
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: west coast, FL

iTrader: (0)

I was thinking of getting my pre-29.2 dynoed today.
It will be reprogrammed on Monday.
Then, I can see the results, and dyno agoin if need be.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #2620
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
iScream's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
i love my 335i with 29.1.1 E89X-08-03-520 its a beast it goes very nice
Please, seriously, stop. You are not convincing anyone and you are not contributing to the discussion. If you are happy with your car, then we are happy for you. But many of us are not happy with our cars, and the problem is proven to be more complex than software version.

I don't think you're intentionally trolling, but to many people, that's really what it looks like you're doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #2621
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
iScream's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias1980 View Post
I justed talked with the head of Rototest and what they offer is extremly accurate "solid state" dyno. They will be able to measure absolute torque at all RPM's but plaese note that this will not show the lag.

Rototest told me that they have been waiting for people to start discussions like this one as cars can change a lot in behaviour due to new software... The question is what is within specification.. he told me that these kind of issues has more pr impact then judicial for car manufacturers.

Rototest are normally not working with private persons as customers but are willing to test a car for 2000 SEK ($300). He also told me that the best thing would be if we hooked up with a car magazine in order to get some more weight on our test.

So what is you opinion about power and lag with the 29.2+ software, is it a lack of power below 3000 RPM or are we fooled by the lag? I think we miss a bit of torque together with the lag.
I'd contribute to the cause, if it is done right. Rototest is the only dyno I've seen that almost perfectly replicates BMW's advertised curve.

Do they do the dyno test at WOT for all RPM? Or is it a gradual acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #2622
Tschuss
Private
3
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Out West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
i love my 335i with 29.1.1 E89X-08-03-520 its a beast it goes very nice
Heaven forbid that you'd ever need a HPFP or have a another problem that would require reprogramming. I'd say it's inevitable. What an a-hole.

-B
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #2623
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
81
Rep
2,589
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescoupe View Post
I was thinking of getting my pre-29.2 dynoed today.
It will be reprogrammed on Monday.
Then, I can see the results, and dyno agoin if need be.
Make sure they start reading at 1k rpms each time to get the best measurement, if they start at 2k then it wont work.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #2624
black00
Private
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschuss View Post
Heaven forbid that you'd ever need a HPFP or have a another problem that would require reprogramming. I'd say it's inevitable. What an a-hole.

-B
Is it mandatory to reprogram the car if a new HPFP is installed?
I read in another thread about a possible recall for fuel pumps (may be untrue, don't know) and that poster said his car was not reprogrammed.
__________________
335i Coupe - Monaco Blue, gray leather, gray poplar trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #2625
Tobias1980
Read the manual please, just do it before asking!
Tobias1980's Avatar
Sweden
7
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: F31 328i, F55 Cooper
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I'd contribute to the cause, if it is done right. Rototest is the only dyno I've seen that almost perfectly replicates BMW's advertised curve.

Do they do the dyno test at WOT for all RPM? Or is it a gradual acceleration?
WOT on all RPM with the dyno locking at a certain RPM i beliave.

It is a "steady state" dyno, my understanding is that it locks the RPM and then measure the maximum torque that the engine will provide even if it takes a certain time to provide the torque. I assume this means for example 1300 RPM locked and then they give full trottle and wait for the engine to give all it has at 1300 RPM. I guess this is why its called a "steady state" dyno.

The head of Rototest told me that the industry is working on a standard way of measuring engine behavior like lag during acceleration etc. He also told me that he as a industry professional found our worries "very interesting" and it would be a very strong proof if a car that was tested differed from the "old" 335i they tested back in 2006.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #2626
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
RBBMWE46M3's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: THE REGION

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Please, seriously, stop. You are not convincing anyone and you are not contributing to the discussion. If you are happy with your car, then we are happy for you. But many of us are not happy with our cars, and the problem is proven to be more complex than software version.

I don't think you're intentionally trolling, but to many people, that's really what it looks like you're doing.
Dont feed the troll iScream, just block her...
__________________
BMW ENGINEERS
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #2627
marell01
Private
marell01's Avatar
Sweden
2
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWagain View Post
Not in my carmag I´m sorry:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...47781&page=118

the 392nm is at about 3000rpm
My mistake, sorry
__________________
- 335 Coupé - Saphire Black - M Sport Package - 19" M 225 Wheel -
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #2628
marell01
Private
marell01's Avatar
Sweden
2
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

I´ll also contribute to the test Tobias! //Pilot
__________________
- 335 Coupé - Saphire Black - M Sport Package - 19" M 225 Wheel -
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #2629
clivem2
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
353
Rep
1,720
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I hope there will be more support for paying for the dyno. Given the quality of Rototest I'm very happy to invest.

There are so many people of this thread with concerns, if a few bucks are a problem then the problems can't be very serious.
__________________
Current: G01 M40i Silver / Tartufo
Previous: E30 318iS, E39 520i 523i 523i, E46 vert 330i 330i, E93 vert 335i, F25 30D 35D
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #2630
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
iScream's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias1980 View Post
WOT on all RPM with the dyno locking at a certain RPM i beliave.

It is a "steady state" dyno, my understanding is that it locks the RPM and then measure the maximum torque that the engine will provide even if it takes a certain time to provide the torque. I assume this means for example 1300 RPM locked and then they give full trottle and wait for the engine to give all it has at 1300 RPM. I guess this is why its called a "steady state" dyno.

The head of Rototest told me that the industry is working on a standard way of measuring engine behavior like lag during acceleration etc. He also told me that he as a industry professional found our worries "very interesting" and it would be a very strong proof if a car that was tested differed from the "old" 335i they tested back in 2006.
Hmmmm, then I wonder if this will show The Lag... if you maintain throttle at 1500 RPM, even with 29.2, you will eventually get boost, which means that maximum HP/torque at that RPM probably won't be any different than pre-29.2.... thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #2631
Erregend
Private
United_States
0
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Hmmmm, then I wonder if this will show The Lag... if you maintain throttle at 1500 RPM,
even with 29.2, you will eventually get boost, which means that maximum HP/torque at that RPM probably
won't be any different than pre-29.2.... thoughts?
If the wastegates are held open until 3000 RPM by the 29.2 firmware, why would you expect max torque at
any RPM below that? Are you saying that the turbos can produce full boost with the wastegates open?

Hmmm...
__________________
Tom

2011 535i M-Sport

Returned: 2008 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #2632
ezatnova
Colonel
ezatnova's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,188
Posts

Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Please, seriously, stop. You are not convincing anyone and you are not contributing to the discussion. If you are happy with your car, then we are happy for you. But many of us are not happy with our cars, and the problem is proven to be more complex than software version.

I don't think you're intentionally trolling, but to many people, that's really what it looks like you're doing.
Hmm...didn't know this douchebag wasn't on everyones ignore list already.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #2633
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
iScream's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erregend View Post
If the wastegates are held open until 3000 RPM by the 29.2 firmware, why would you expect max torque at
any RPM below that? Are you saying that the turbos can produce full boost with the wastegates open?

Hmmm...
I do not believe the wastegates are unconditionally held open until 3000 RPM. Just on a WOT from the 2k RPM range.

If everyone on here really didn't get any turbo boost until 3k RPM, we'd be talking about lag times MUCH greater than 1.5-2 seconds. Go WOT on a 328i from 1400 RPM in 3rd or 4th gear, and tell me how long it takes to get to 3300. I'm betting it's a lot longer than 1.5-2 seconds. Probably 3-3.5s, and if we were talking about lag that long, then all the turbo techies here would have dropped their skepticism and semantic niggling long ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #2634
Erregend
Private
United_States
0
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I do not believe the wastegates are unconditionally held open until 3000 RPM. Just on a WOT from the 2k RPM range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
..... To backtrack a little, the actuator problem (ie rattling) is caused by poor positioning and the wastegate diaphragm
not sealing properly against the turbo body. We know all this already, and we know that BMW released V29.2 software
to open the wastegates below 3000 revs to reduce the rattling. .....
Just going by the quote above, which I thought was pretty much the agreed to by all here as to how the v29.2 "fix" was implemented by BMW.
__________________
Tom

2011 535i M-Sport

Returned: 2008 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #2635
Bavaria330
Second Lieutenant
Bavaria330's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
283
Posts

Drives: 335i LCI AW
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LB Cali.

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
i love my 335i with 29.1.1 E89X-08-03-520 its a beast it goes very nice
ATTENTION ALL.
Just ALLOW our friend residing in LITHUAINIA enjoy his remaining freedom of speech Mr. PUTIN is coming soon to unplug his internet and to confiscate his beast, and I see why many won't feel sorry!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #2636
ocinek
Private
2
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Hi,
I have a July 08 135, and I am very pissed about how laggy it is. The power delivery is not so bad, but the throttle response is just absolutely horrible.

I can floor the pedal in neutral for 1-2 seconds and the lag is so bad it doesn't come close to redline before I let off. Pedal delay is slightly under ~1sec and then there's a turbo spool delay for another ~2sec at low rpm. So the car doesn't haul ass until the dreaded ~3 seconds pass.

So what I gather from reading is that flashing the latest software will at least slightly improve my problem. Yes I have driven one of the first production 335's and this car is nowhere near as responsive and torquey in the low end.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #2637
Tschuss
Private
3
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Out West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
I have a July 08 135, and I am very pissed about how laggy it is. The power delivery is not so bad, but the throttle response is just absolutely horrible.
Yeah, the cynical side of me thinks BMW did this N54 detune due to the M3 release. The 2 events coincided in the same time frame last spring. Here we are 6 months plus from 29.2+ with no official word from BMW AG or BMW NA.

Although there seems to be encouraging news from European posters, I'd feel better if BMW stepped up.

-B
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #2638
bigbadbull
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 530iXT Sport package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Birmingham AL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to bigbadbull Send a message via MSN to bigbadbull Send a message via Yahoo to bigbadbull
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocinek View Post
Hi,
I have a July 08 135, and I am very pissed about how laggy it is. The power delivery is not so bad, but the throttle response is just absolutely horrible.

I can floor the pedal in neutral for 1-2 seconds and the lag is so bad it doesn't come close to redline before I let off. Pedal delay is slightly under ~1sec and then there's a turbo spool delay for another ~2sec at low rpm. So the car doesn't haul ass until the dreaded ~3 seconds pass.

So what I gather from reading is that flashing the latest software will at least slightly improve my problem. Yes I have driven one of the first production 335's and this car is nowhere near as responsive and torquey in the low end.

Try a sprint booster....
http://www.sprintboostersales.com/
it will make the throttle alot more responsive... Won't help the lag though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #2639
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Prof3ssor's Avatar
6
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschuss View Post
Yeah, the cynical side of me thinks BMW did this N54 detune due to the M3 release. -B
This thought has crossed my mind several times.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #2640
**335i**
Colonel
**335i**'s Avatar
Switzerland
155
Rep
2,320
Posts

Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Swiss

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria330 View Post
ATTENTION ALL.
Just ALLOW our friend residing in LITHUAINIA enjoy his remaining freedom of speech Mr. PUTIN is coming soon to unplug his internet and to confiscate his beast, and I see why many won't feel sorry!

off topic

p.s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria330 View Post
in LITHUAINIA
try learn how to write
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST