E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Dmtl Delete

05-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Dmtl Delete

Is there any way to remove the functionality of the dmtl? so the ecu just ignores the module?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1337 View Post
Is there any way to remove the functionality of the dmtl? so the ecu just ignores the module?
I'm sure you can find a former VW diesel ECU engineer who can assist you (for a fee) in circumventing Federal Emissions Standards.

What issues (warning lights, codes, etc.) are you seeing and what do you understand is defective about the system? The DMTL pump only runs after engine shutdown and does NOT affect performance, so why are you concerned about defeating the system that is basically a test of the Evaporative Emissions system? INPA can test the Fuel Tank Vent Valve or the DMTL Pump.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
I'm sure you can find a former VW diesel ECU engineer who can assist you (for a fee) in circumventing Federal Emissions Standards.

What issues (warning lights, codes, etc.) are you seeing and what do you understand is defective about the system? The DMTL pump only runs after engine shutdown and does NOT affect performance, so why are you concerned about defeating the system that is basically a test of the Evaporative Emissions system? INPA can test the Fuel Tank Vent Valve or the DMTL Pump.

George
says it is short circuiting to B+, I live in Florida no enforced regulation for emissions
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
says it is short circuiting to B+, I live in Florida no enforced regulation for emissions
I don't mean to be a wise guy, but what code is stored in the DME that you/someone is interpreting as described above? The ONLY definition of a "short-circuit" in an automotive electrical circuit I have ever heard of is where battery voltage or "hot" wire is "shorted" or somehow unintentionally contacted to ground, so by definition, you cannot have a short to B+ which is Positive Terminal of Battery or 12V+.

Also, what is "IT" that is shorting: (1) an issue with the DMTL pump, (2) the Purge or Vent Valve (at the intake), or (3) something else in the system???

I understand you do NOT need to have Evaporative Emissions system functional to pass any mandated inspection, so you just want a simple solution. My only concern would be: WHAT is the fault or issue, and does simply masking or ignoring it by turning off the warning light cause some other problem. Providing all Fault Codes saved in DME Memory (and FF Data if available) would be a good way to get suggestions on that if you don't already know.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]says it is short circuiting to B+[/COLOR], I live in Florida no enforced regulation for emissions
I don't mean to be a wise guy, but what code is stored in the DME that you/someone is interpreting as described above? The ONLY definition of a "short-circuit" in an automotive electrical circuit I have ever heard of is where battery voltage or "hot" wire is "shorted" or somehow unintentionally contacted to ground, so by definition, you cannot have a short to B+ which is Positive Terminal of Battery or 12V+.

Also, what is "IT" that is shorting: (1) an issue with the DMTL pump, (2) the Purge or Vent Valve (at the intake), or (3) something else in the system???

I understand you do NOT need to have Evaporative Emissions system functional to pass any mandated inspection, so you just want a simple solution. My only concern would be: WHAT is the fault or issue, and does simply masking or ignoring it by turning off the warning light cause some other problem. Providing all Fault Codes saved in DME Memory (and FF Data if available) would be a good way to get suggestions on that if you don't already know.

George
You sound like you know what you're talking about, attached is a picture of the code from the mhd app. Not exactly sure how to answer your question
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
Most likely it is a failed dmtl pump. the are not very expensive, maybe $60 and fairly easy to install. I'm not sure you will find anyone that can delete it. it's not a normal coding option.
      05-19-2019, 01:35 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...attached is a picture of the code from the mhd app. Not exactly sure how to answer your question
L. I. B., M.R. "short to B+" So we'll just pretend something got lost in translation

Here is BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition for Code 3225:
N55 | P2402 | 3225 | DMTL leakage diagnosis pump, activation: Short circuit to B+ | MEVD17KW | Engine electronics | View
AND here is the "Fault Info" you get when clicking on "View" in last column:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...A4ADkAMwAwADQA

NOTE that the "Fault Info" describes the Conditions for setting the code and suggests checking the circuit BEFORE replacing the pump. Here are TIS circuit diagram for DMTL Pump, Installation Location and Connector View of Connector X17140 at the Pump:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-tank/CkPcbjvI
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VnYh7imr5
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-cou/CTO0LlvP

I don't know what the resistance of the pump motor should be, measuring between Pins #1 & #4 of Connector X17140. If you are blowing Fuse F17, check the wiring between the fuse and the motor by testing for continuity to ground, or near 0 resistance between Pin #4, Red/White wire, and ground, WITH F17 PULLED from JB.

You should also be able to test the Pump Motor, with Connector X17140 disconnected by applying battery power: 12V+ to Pump Pin #4 (the pin that the Red/White Connector wire connects to), and Chassis Ground to Pump Pin #1 (the pin that the White/Brown Connector wire connects to).

I've never disassembled that unit so can't say from examination of the components, but the circuit shows a valve and a resistor in the F17 circuit as well as the Motor, so a short in the motor is NOT the only possible fault if F17 is blowing, or there is too much draw on the Red/White wire. I suppose one could test resistance in each MODULE Pin #2 & Module Pin #3 in relation to Module Pin #4 (with Connector X17140 disconnected), but if the motor, valve & resistor are ALL part of the replacement module, then it really doesn't matter which individual part or circuit branch is shorting.

For those of us who like to try to actually "fix" things instead of R&R (dinosaurs ;-), please let us know what you find.

George
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      05-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Ricthewrench
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

For George. I have read hundreds of pages to become BMW familiar. Lifelong gearhead, first bimmer. I have noticed that your answers have the ring of knowledge. There is generally Someone Like You on any vehicle site the challenge is in identifying that person. Thank you for all the useful information you and all the others have put up here. It has already saved me so much time and aggravation. You guys rock Sorry, a bit off the topic. Diagnosing my smtp issues also.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      05-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Ricthewrench
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

Dmtl pump. Awesome phone spelling correction .
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #10
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

$50 for a new one. Just replace it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
Timothydevisser
Crazy retrofitter
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
Most likely it is a failed dmtl pump. the are not very expensive, maybe $60 and fairly easy to install. I'm not sure you will find anyone that can delete it. it's not a normal coding option.

Sorry for the bump,

You can run a European dme flash, because in Europe the cars don’t have the dmtl pump.
Appreciate 0