E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > abs and 4x4! error, plus brake, dtc, and abs lights on?

06-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #23
blacksail337
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi

WOW a $650 part! thats fantastic news . . . .

thanks a lot for checking on that for me man, unfortunetly sounds like this is my problem
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
mu979
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328cxi

Just today I got the same array of dash lights a couple of times. Seems to be intermittent, though - if I restart the car, I can get them to go away. I'm also getting a little grinding noise when I blip the throttle after first starting the car. Most recently, when backing into my garage this evening, I heard a little pop from the transfer case and then all the lights came on.

My first suspicion something was wrong with the car is that I was getting uneven power delivery under full throttle above 3,000 rpm - almost like the car was misfiring or slipping a little bit. It would make sense if there's a problem with a sensor somewhere and torque is being routed around where it shouldn't be. Anyone else have this problem as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #25
ettil
ugh
Rep
Drives: broken 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu979 View Post
Just today I got the same array of dash lights a couple of times. -snip- if I restart the car, I can get them to go away. I'm also getting a little grinding noise -snip-

My first suspicion something was wrong with the car is that I was getting uneven power delivery under full throttle above 3,000 rpm - almost like the car was misfiring or slipping a little bit. It would make sense if there's a problem with a sensor somewhere and torque is being routed around where it shouldn't be. Anyone else have this problem as well?
Since you asked, yes, yes I am having the same problem.

The hiccups started on Thursday but I thought maybe it was the gas I'd just put in the car. Didn't drive it again until today when the lights came. And then I thought maybe I'd just drive it around the block and make sure I wasn't crazy but I was hearing extra noises backing out of my parking space so I decided not to tempt fate.

Sensor or servo motor it's under warranty. Friday is the earliest it could get in.
      08-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
mu979
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine is at the dealership now. They are actually putting an entire new transfer case in it. Fortunately, I'm just barely under 50k still (49k and change!), so BMW is covering it. Looks like the transfer case alone is a $2,300 part. I cannot imagine what the entire repair would cost out of pocket!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
ettil
ugh
Rep

I'll of course know more on Friday but "entire new transfer case" is not always the nicest phrase to hear. Though I suppose the most important thing is why this is happening...
      08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #28
ettil
ugh
Rep

I am being told "control unit for the transmission and xfer case". My SA tried to tell me it was the battery as soon as I said multiple lights came on. At least he agreed there was a mechanical issue when he let me explain about the grinding, hiccups, and exactly which lights. No available part in the entire DC/MD/VA area. Sometime next week...
      08-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #29
Tiz113
Chief Sitting Bull
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi E92 / LSB F90 M5

Garage List
2019 BMW F90  [0.00]
2007 328xi E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ettil View Post
I am being told "control unit for the transmission and xfer case". My SA tried to tell me it was the battery as soon as I said multiple lights came on. At least he agreed there was a mechanical issue when he let me explain about the grinding, hiccups, and exactly which lights. No available part in the entire DC/MD/VA area. Sometime next week...
yeah i have a appointment on wednesday for this. i feel like thats a long time to be driving around with a fucked up tranny.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #30
mu979
Enlisted Member
Rep

My car has been in the dealership all week - they've revised their diagnosis and it sounds like the entire transfer case is no longer being replaced. They referred to a "computer" in the transfer that is being replaced - probably the same control unit ettil is having replaced. I'm waiting on parts too!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #31
ettil
ugh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiz113 View Post
yeah i have a appointment on wednesday for this. i feel like thats a long time to be driving around with a fucked up tranny.
I agree. My SA offered for me to have the car back for the weekend as they'd fixed all my other issues. He swears it's fine to continue driving it. I declined. Thankfully I have another car to use.
      08-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #32
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

ettil's controller came in this morning as promised and has been installed. They still have to fix her trim pieces, but I'm supposed to be able to pick it up tomorrow (probably won't get it until the evening though). I'll post the details if there is anything different than what has already been posted.

Wonder if they'd consider keeping it and let me keep the 135 loaner... She probably wouldn't appreciate coming home from the beach to find her car missing though.

-dave

Last edited by gnat; 08-10-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #33
mu979
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got mine back on Friday, with new controller and new transfer case. Everything runs great now. However, got the car back and was hearing a rattle, which was not there before. Of course, I assume the worst, but upon further inspection, I notice that the dealer did not entirely reclamp my exhaust back together. There is a bracket that comes off the transfer case that supports the exhaust. The lower part of the clamp was missing, which was causing the top part to rattle against the exhaust that was free to move there. Instead of messing around with the dealer and being without my car for another day, I just ordered the part from Tischer for $10 and will put it in myself. The battery compartment in the trunk was also left undone when I picked up my car... It does make one wonder what else the dealer might have "forgotten".....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Picked it up and drove it home (man that 135 makes it look tame...) and all appears to be well (besides the bath they gave it so it shows off all it's door dings ). Nothing new on our invoice that others haven't already reported.

-dave
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #35
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

I have this same issue with my '07 335xi with 53800 miles. They said something about the control module going bad but can't get the part for it so I'm getting an entire new transfer case. Awesome. I hope the service contract I bought won't try to fight the claim.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #36
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi '07 black

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksail337 View Post
update, now i'm hearing a weird grinding noise when i start the car?

sounds kinda like when you grind the starter on a car with a normal ignition switch, happens well after i release the start button though.

and my xdrive is actually disabled/not working, i spun the rear tires yesterday taking off from an intersection.

guess i need to order a BT tool asap, but with so many codes thrown at once i'm not sure it will tell me a whole lot more.

thinking about having an independent shop take a look at it

hey! i have this kind of problem just now thats why im searching for answers here. my abs, brake, 4x4 came on all at once and i dont know if the grinding noise that i hear also when is start the engine is related to that. before this all happened i happen to drive on a shoulder with rough track and suddenly stopped because i got pulled over by a cop. all this shit popped up after 5- 10 ins of driving so i checked the manual and said that i should avoid braking full force and driving on rough tracks which i both did when i got pulled over. but now my question is how are you going to get rid off it becasue i thought i would just give my car a break and turn on the engine and hopefully it wont be there which i was wrong. its still there when i did that and i am hearing this grinding noise when i turn the engine on and OFF! its crazy!!! what seem to be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #37
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettil View Post
Since you asked, yes, yes I am having the same problem.

The hiccups started on Thursday but I thought maybe it was the gas I'd just put in the car. Didn't drive it again until today when the lights came. And then I thought maybe I'd just drive it around the block and make sure I wasn't crazy but I was hearing extra noises backing out of my parking space so I decided not to tempt fate.

Sensor or servo motor it's under warranty. Friday is the earliest it could get in.
hey! i have this kind of problem just now thats why im searching for answers here. my abs, brake, 4x4 came on all at once and i dont know if the grinding noise that i hear also when is start the engine is related to that. before this all happened i happen to drive on a shoulder with rough track and suddenly stopped because i got pulled over by a cop. all this shit popped up after 5- 10 mins of driving so i checked the manual and said that i should avoid braking full force and driving on rough tracks which i both did when i got pulled over. but now my question is how are you going to get rid off it becasue i thought i would just give my car a break and turn on the engine and hopefully it wont be there which i was wrong. its still there when i did that and i am hearing this grinding noise when i turn the engine on and OFF! its crazy!!! what seem to be the problem? that transfer case or servo motor? its that the problem and how much to get it? and will that solve the problem? and also can i use the car or i have to take it to the dealer right away?!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #38
chinito0825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu979 View Post
Just today I got the same array of dash lights a couple of times. Seems to be intermittent, though - if I restart the car, I can get them to go away. I'm also getting a little grinding noise when I blip the throttle after first starting the car. Most recently, when backing into my garage this evening, I heard a little pop from the transfer case and then all the lights came on.

hey! same exact problem here. above 3000 rom i am getting those misfiring! i have this kind of problem just now thats why im searching for answers here. my abs, brake, 4x4 came on all at once and i dont know if the grinding noise that i hear also when is start the engine is related to that. before this all happened i happen to drive on a shoulder with rough track and suddenly stopped because i got pulled over by a cop. all this shit popped up after 5- 10 mins of driving so i checked the manual and said that i should avoid braking full force and driving on rough tracks which i both did when i got pulled over. but now my question is how are you going to get rid off it becasue i thought i would just give my car a break and turn on the engine and hopefully it wont be there which i was wrong. its still there when i did that and i am hearing this grinding noise when i turn the engine on and OFF! its crazy!!! what seem to be the problem? that transfer case or servo motor? its that the problem and how much to get it? and will that solve the problem? and also can i use the car or i have to take it to the dealer right away?!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #39
jmgsxr
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335 xi

I also had the grinding noise but it also had to do with the transfer case servo motor, it's trying to engage but can't.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #40
Bruthah
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 328xiT

Just had the same warning lights come up for me, but the SA said they replaced the VTG Actuator. Getting it back today.

edit : Checked the part number and it's the same Set Positioning Motor as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Bruthah; 07-21-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #41
reb4wd99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

328xi Issue

Hey who's ur daddy, I was wondering, did you have the grinding noise when you cut off your car? Reading the thead here, I have just about narrowed my issue down to the set positioning motor that you stated you had replaced but before i spend the money to buy one, i wanted to get just a few more of your symptoms. I had the 4x4! along with the ABS and a whole host of other codes all of a sudden yesterday. I only have power to my rear wheels and there is a gear grinding for a very short period of time when i put the car in park and turn it off. If these are the symptoms you experienced, please let me know. The motor will cost me $500 so i sure dont want to take it to a dealer so they can rape me with a $1500 or more bill.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #42
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Not sure it is your servo motor, but you can try to hit up a junk yard for one off a 3 or 5 series (they use the same transfer case) and install yourself (look on ebay, there are a few wrecked xi's.). Install looks like it's pretty easy (3 or 4 bolts, IIRC), and an O-ring. You don't have to remove the TC, just the servo motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #43
Fly1ngSqu1rr3l
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

HELP - 2007 E90 335xi ABS 4x4 after Wheel Upgrade

Alright, I have at least a dozen gearheads scratching their heads on this one.

2007 BMW 335xi 4-door.
1 Owner

Scenario from this morning:
1. Drove my 335xi to the shop to upgrade my wheels.
2. ABS 4x4 warning light comes on with the new wheels.
3. BMW Dealership tells me that upgrading the wheels causes the X-Drive computer to fail, which can destroy the transfer case.
4. Shop puts factory wheels back on.
5. Drive home in the rain being reminded why I like AWD .
6. Wait for dealership review in the AM.

Hmm. From what I can tell, my transfer case was just waiting to fail on this car and the wheels have nothing to do with it Though the X-Drive could be picky, I doubt the answer is an E90 can't have 18" rims... Let's examine the facts.

1. Factory Wheels & Tires: BMW 17" Rims w/ 225/45R17 Tires.
2. New Wheels & Tires: VMR718 18" Rims w/ slight offset 225/40R18 (Front) and 255/35R18 (Rear).
3. BMW not only sold this car originally w/ an 18” rim option, they will *still* sell me 18” rims for my car.
4. Total difference between wheel/tire diameter before and after? 1/10th of an inch.
5. Hundreds of E90Post and Bimmerforums users w/ E90 X-Drive cars w/ 18" and 19" rims.

Anyone else have this problem? BMW Dealership is telling me that there is NO FIX, that putting the 18" rims will chronically cause the X-Drive computer to fail and destroy the transfer case.

That seems like a load of crap. If it's true, I'm selling her tomorrow /sniff.

Fine, maybe not, but I’m steaming mad. I even rage called the Audi dealership.

Code List:
• 51B0 – DSC Brake Light Switch/Brake Pressure
• 5462 – VTG Servomotor or coupling force too high
• 5463 – VTG Mechanism Malfunction
• 54C4 – VTG Calibration Faulty
• 55C3 – VTG Limp Home Mode Activated
• E104 - CAN low error

Last edited by Fly1ngSqu1rr3l; 10-24-2012 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Clearer information.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #44
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Dealership fail. Replace dealership. What they are telling you is so beyond stupid it is almost inconceivable. I'd call BMWNA and report them, they should not be allowed to touch another car.
Appreciate 0