E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New control arm bushing loose in wheel carrier

03-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

New control arm bushing loose in wheel carrier

My control arm bushings have been changed under BMW warranty after 4 years, in 2010.

Last week, one of the bushing failed again with the link kit. I brought the car to an Indy to get the bushing replaced and they replaced it with a Genuine BMW. The problem is the new bearing wasn't fully fixed in the carrier. The Indy tried 3 different OEM parts and they all react the same way. He found a way to fix the bushing by spot welding it and avoid replacing the carrier. Now it's fix...for how long?

Anybody saw this problem before?

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You need a new thrust arm. The whole has been enlarged from the bushings being swapped out. Happens all the time. This is one of the reasons you swap the whole arm instead of messing with it.
      03-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

You mean a new carrier?

This is a common issue?

Mechanic tried to spot weld the bushing in place. If it doesn't work, will have to replace the carrier.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

whatever arm that is back there.
      03-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
whatever arm that is back there.

The bushing in the wheel carrier is moving. Watch the video again. Looks like the rear lower control arm that holds the strut is what is attached to that bushing.

Replace the carrier if you are sure they "pressed" in the correct bushing. It should not move like that at all. I have no idea how it came to be so loose, but I would doubt it can be fixed, only replaced. Look on ebay. Not sure about where you are, but in the US, lots of knuckles at less than $100us easy.

edit: The mount for that bushing was cracked most likely. Do a dye penatrent inspection on it, bet you'll see a hairline crack. Replace it, you are not fixing that. Spot welding the bushing to stay in place would not be an acceptable fix to me, something is obviously wrong with that mount and tacking the bushing to stay in place does not address that.

Last edited by Casca; 03-13-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Good time to upgrade to M3 controls lol.
      03-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
The bushing in the wheel carrier is moving. Watch the video again. Looks like the rear lower control arm that holds the strut is what is attached to that bushing.

Replace the carrier if you are sure they "pressed" in the correct bushing. It should not move like that at all. I have no idea how it came to be so loose, but I would doubt it can be fixed, only replaced. Look on ebay. Not sure about where you are, but in the US, lots of knuckles at less than $100us easy.

edit: The mount for that bushing was cracked most likely. Do a dye penatrent inspection on it, bet you'll see a hairline crack. Replace it, you are not fixing that. Spot welding the bushing to stay in place would not be an acceptable fix to me, something is obviously wrong with that mount and tacking the bushing to stay in place does not address that.
I will mount the car on lift and inspect the carrier myself. Currently the car drive perfectly so will see if the fix works on long term.

Thank you for your reply.
Appreciate 0