E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replace rotors and not pads??

03-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Replace rotors and not pads??

Hi all,

I have a noticeable shimmying/pulsing in the steering wheel when braking. I tried re-bedding my pads(no idea if they were every properly bedded) twice in the fall. That did not resolve the pulsing.

I am assuming the problem is with my front rotors. Thoughts on this? I have read it is very hard to warp a rotor, but I am not sure what else it could be.

Computer is telling me both my front and rear pads are good for another 17,000 miles (car has 35,000 mi), so I'd really rather not replace those if I don't need to.

Is it an issue to use old pads with new rotors?

I would imagine I'd just do the bedding process again and the pads will conform to the new rotors?

Thoughts on whether I should do the rear rotors as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Rotors could be warped. Usually first issue pointed to when you get the pulsing when braking. Usually if you brake lightly you can feel the low spots and high spots (Well in my case that happened). I don't think using old pads with new rotors would be a good idea as the surfaces will be changing (old being warped and new being smooth). I would change both but that's me
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip

Last edited by NJ Krish; 03-15-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0