E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > iPod Connections...

07-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Wh|t3R@bb|t
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

iPod Connections...

This morning whilst dropping my car off for some warranty work, I enquired about getting the iPod connection for my E90 335d.

Currently I have just the Aux connection in the arm rest which uses the 3.5mm jack to jack lead but want to add the USB lead/connection so I can see track listing etc on the iDrive.

The guy behind the counter said.."Oooo errr....gonna cost ya that...I wouldn't bother". Which I suppose is reassuring that he doesn't want me to spend silly money...

He said that the lead was about £110 but to fit it and have it coded shot the price up to £400...

Have any of you retrofitted any other options for this, or just taken the hit on the chin...or perhaps are now in the same boat as me and thinking...not worth it and just stick to the aux in.

I'm not sure if its worth mentioning, but in the arm rest of my car I have the phone connection mounting which I don't use. Can this be removed? And could this be a way of connecting my iPod?!?!

Any help gratefully recieved.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
en6jwrs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 M-Sport 535d

Might be worth asking other dealers?

I have the ipod wire in my glovebox on an 07 e90 335 with i drive. It is well worth it in my opnion, full idrive control of the ipod and charging at the same time.

The dealer did it for me as a deal sweetener when i purchased the car and cant believe he would have done it if the above price was the list. (But then the difference between cost and price is another conversation!)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

I had the ipod interface fitted where the lead comes out in the glovebox - takes the place of a multi CD changer, gives full display on Idrive, allows use of steering wheel controls and charges ipod.
Very pleased with the result, cost around £350 inc vat fitted
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Wh|t3R@bb|t
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Blimey....£350....thats a lot of money imo.

I can't believe that for a bloody lead, plugged into back of dash into glovebox is going to set me back that money. Thats a complete rip off.

Other option I suppose it to look at after market ones...don't Dension do one that some people have used?

I do actually have the 6 CD changer in the boot but to replace that would be a waste wouldn't it? I don't use CD's that the annoying thing.. so I got 7 CD slots I don't use. I suppose I could rip a load of Mp3 CD's.

Life is never straight forward is it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
en6jwrs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 M-Sport 535d

Dont know if i am being any help, but I had a Dension in my Audi (car before my current one).

It was pretty impressive, very easy to fit into the CD multichanger socket on the back of the headunit and charged it. The only downside was it required me to use the ipod to select songs etc and needed mounting.

A good solution if the glovebox lead is too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

The reason it costs so much guys is the I-Drive coding bit, I think.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

There is an hardware interface kit which links the ipod to the MOST system, The hardware costs £195 +vat the rest is labour for fitting and coding.
Having a 6cd changer means the coding time is reduced so should be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh|t3R@bb|t View Post
Blimey....£350....thats a lot of money imo.

I can't believe that for a bloody lead, plugged into back of dash into glovebox is going to set me back that money. Thats a complete rip off.

Other option I suppose it to look at after market ones...don't Dension do one that some people have used?

I do actually have the 6 CD changer in the boot but to replace that would be a waste wouldn't it? I don't use CD's that the annoying thing.. so I got 7 CD slots I don't use. I suppose I could rip a load of Mp3 CD's.

Life is never straight forward is it.
Its whole new control unit not just a lead, but as you have a CD changer already you might not need the coding, as that is done for cars without the CD changer to make it emulate having one.
Appreciate 0