E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird Issue After DP Install Coincidence??

07-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
HiRev335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i sport pkg

Weird Issue After DP Install Coincidence??

Guys just installed Dp s on my 335i and moved the steering rack to have better access. Before the work was done I had no warning lights on, cars steering wheel was perfectly aligned straight.... had an alignment done earlier this year. The dp install went flawlessly... later going for a ride about twenty min in I get the dreaded chime and warning lights popping up. Steering angle, brake light and tire pressure all in yellow. I also noticed my steering wheel to be slightly skewed maybe a few degrees to the right though the car does seem to track straight. scanned for codes with my jb4 app nothing came up so took it to a local indie and a hard fault code that could not be cleared came up SAS (steering angle sensor). I neglected to mention to my mechanic about the dp install I didn't think there could be any relation to the warning lights I'm experiencing. Could this be just coincidence or can any one tell me that there is a direct relation to me moving the steering rack thus setting of the sas light. Do you think getting an alignment done again and a recalibration of the steering angle sensor may be the solution??Really hopping it's not a faulty sensor as they are outrageously priced. Thanks any input is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
jeff_91121
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan Auto

I installed DP's recently also and moved the steering rack and my steering wheel is a few degrees off center also. I haven't had any warning lights or codes and the car drives just fine. I am just annoyed by the wheel being off a few degrees. I am going to try loosening the bolts on the steering rack and try to shift it to the drivers side slightly. I know it won't go far because there isn't much, if any play in the rack with the bolts inserted into the subframe but it is worth a try.
I'm 99% sure that an alignment would fix the wheel being off center, but I am not going to pay for an alignment as I just had one done a couple months ago. I'm not sure what to tell you about the warning lights though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
HiRev335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i sport pkg

I guess you were really fortunate not to set off your sas light being your steering wheel is off. I may of moved mine a little to much but noticed again when driving that my steering wheel is skewed more than I thought if I pull it straight my car tracks to the left quite a bit. Talked to a couple of indies and they told me it is very plausible it's due to moving the rack. Any how going to get an alignment done and a recalibration of the sas. Want to get the alignment done cause as you said it is annoying having the wheel off centre….I figure it's worth trying...... allot cheaper that forking up the coin for the steering angle sensor.
Appreciate 0