E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Thank God I have a LSD!!

01-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Thank God I have a LSD!!

Hi Guys,

Will I just started working nights tonight, so I was sleeping all day and the last thing I remember before sleeping is that the weather was going to be ok all day.

So I woke up at around 5PM to get ready and never bother watching the news like I always do, plus I live in a apartment downtown T.O. so I didn't look out the one window I have.

So I pulled out of the underground garage and seen something that I have not seen for a while, SNOW!!! and lots was still coming down.

Now the last time I drove in snow like this I got stuck on that damn hill on Dufferin and Dupont St, but I didn't have the LSD installed yet.

Now I got Ivo to switch the diff a couple of months ago, and now I conquered both hills, the second one is at Dufferin and Rogers.

The DSC never came on, the car in front of me stopped because it could not make it up (it was front wheel drive), but the 335is just swung her rear a bit to the right and away I went.

It fells so good not to get stuck anymore I just love my WAVETRAC!!!

I think they should have LSD as an option for our cars but that is just my opinion.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Hi Guys,

Will I just started working nights tonight, so I was sleeping all day and the last thing I remember before sleeping is that the weather was going to be ok all day.

So I woke up at around 5PM to get ready and never bother watching the news like I always do, plus I live in a apartment downtown T.O. so I didn't look out the one window I have.

So I pulled out of the underground garage and seen something that I have not seen for a while, SNOW!!! and lots was still coming down.

Now the last time I drove in snow like this I got stuck on that damn hill on Dufferin and Dupont St, but I didn't have the LSD installed yet.

Now I got Ivo to switch the diff a couple of months ago, and now I conquered both hills, the second one is at Dufferin and Rogers.

The DSC never came on, the car in front of me stopped because it could not make it up (it was front wheel drive), but the 335is just swung her rear a bit to the right and away I went.

It fells so good not to get stuck anymore I just love my WAVETRAC!!!

I think they should have LSD as an option for our cars but that is just my opinion.

I HATE YOU!!! im so jealous lol man i need a lsd badly. I totally agree on having an lsd as an option for our cars. we should all call bmw and demand it as an option

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi

noob question, what are all the benefits of the LSD's and how much does it cost..

im slipping like crazy, and from your post. it seems like that may help me out lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Are you on summer tires?
If not then LSD is kinda like having AWD. Sure you can get going, but can you stop?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi

on some shitty winters (barum)..
gonna have to order me some lsd's than, wheres the best place to order from, for a quick shipment + little to no customs for canadian customers..
also, How much does it cost for labour to get this installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Very nice. I'd really like to experience this Wavetrac LSD. May add it to my list of upcoming mods
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHo_e92 View Post
I HATE YOU!!! im so jealous lol man i need a lsd badly. I totally agree on having an lsd as an option for our cars. we should all call bmw and demand it as an option
Plase don't hate, but I don't mind you being a little jealous of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
noob question, what are all the benefits of the LSD's and how much does it cost..

im slipping like crazy, and from your post. it seems like that may help me out lol.
This is what one of the sponsors wrote on the Wavetrac LSD.

Enhanced No-Load Bias Ratio via its Wave Design Center Pack

One of the known shortcomings of a typical torque biasing differential is its loss of drive (behaving much like an open diff) under zero or near-zero torque conditions (for example, when there is 'no-load' applied through the drivetrain, either at vehicle stationary and/or transition from engine driving vehicle to engine braking and back).

The Wavetrac® differential uses a patent pending design to improve grip in low traction conditions. Precisely engineered, converging / diverging wave profiles are placed on one side gear and its mating preload hub. As the two side gears rotate relative to each other, each wave surface climbs the other, causing them to move apart. This imparts an increased normal force through the side gears, increasing the bias ratio as a function of load. This increase occurs automatically only when conditions find it necessary, and it 'reverts' back to its nominal bias ratio quickly and seamlessly, maintaining optimal drivability and performance at all times. It's like having two differentials in one: you get the benefit of a higher bias ratio when needed without detriment to the car's handling.

Interchangeable Friction Plates Provide Controlled Bias

Here's something else you won't find in any other design:

The Wavetrac® diff's behavior can be altered in the field to suit your needs. It comes standard with carbon-fiber bias plates for the best all around performance. Interchangeable plates using materials with different friction coefficients to fine-tune the bias ratio are sold separately.

These friction plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the friction plate, and as a function of the effective coefficient of friction, will provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.

Superior Design, Materials, and Construction

Designed from a clean sheet, the new Wavetrac® Differential brings current gear technology to the market. Internally, its gear tooth forms are optimized for strength and improved oil film retention over competitive designs. Our gear package is smaller, reducing overall mass, yet is more durable. Attention was also paid to the side gear/axle interface, putting as much material thickness as possible in this critical area - most important when power levels get high.

Each Wavetrac® Differential is crafted from the highest quality materials available. The internal gears are made from high strength 9310 alloy steel. The diff bodies are machined from case hardened steel billet. To complete the package, every Wavetrac® differential is built exclusively using high quality, high strength fasteners from ARP®, the world leader in fastener technology.

Just for the LSD it is around $1200. (Wavetrac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Are you on summer tires?
If not then LSD is kinda like having AWD. Sure you can get going, but can you stop?
No, I have winters on, so I can stop we get a lot of ice mixed with the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
on some shitty winters (barum)..
gonna have to order me some lsd's than, wheres the best place to order from, for a quick shipment + little to no customs for canadian customers..
also, How much does it cost for labour to get this installed?
Mike@N54Tuning.com he is a Canadian sponsor on this forum, he has good prices and does not charge you customs fees. You can PM him and he will answer you back ASAP.

I got mind done by Ivo @ columbus auto 416-882-1439 he knows what he is doing and does not charge you a arm or a leg to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Very nice. I'd really like to experience this Wavetrac LSD. May add it to my list of upcoming mods
If I was you add it, you won't regrete it.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

It's good to have LSD in snow condition, but it's even better when you take that apex aggressively and feel your car's back-end turn!!!
      01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Did anyone else read the title and like me think of the other LSD..doh!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
It's good to have LSD in snow condition, but it's even better when you take that apex aggressively and feel your car's back-end turn!!!
I agree but with the LSD you have a better control our the car when you swing the end out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Did anyone else read the title and like me think of the other LSD..doh!
LOL If it was the LSD your thinking of I would have a more interesting story to tell!

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I was you add it, you won't regrete it.
How many labor hours is the install? I have a bolted diff and would certainly get it installed by Ivo.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
How many labor hours is the install? I have a bolted diff and would certainly get it installed by Ivo.
You would have to call him, because I had everything do all at once, check the link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547092

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You would have to call him, because I had everything do all at once, check the link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547092
That was legendary haha. So to transfer it over to your new ride, all Ivo had to do was swap the entire pumpkin assembly?

Off topic, but did you like the Vredestein Sessanta tires on your old ride? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set myself...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
That was legendary haha. So to transfer it over to your new ride, all Ivo had to do was swap the entire pumpkin assembly?

Off topic, but did you like the Vredestein Sessanta tires on your old ride? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set myself...

Yes, since I got him to install the wavetrac in the diff that I got from the auto wreckers.

I love the Vredestein Sessanta tires, they grip the ride even when the road is wet.

I maybe selling the tires and the 19" rims that they are on, because I just picked up some lite weight rims for the track and they already have new rubber on them.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I need to get new summer tires again, I've had the PS2's do you think that Vredestein Sessanta tires are better,same,worse ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
I need to get new summer tires again, I've had the PS2's do you think that Vredestein Sessanta tires are better,same,worse ?
These are really great in wet weather, and I was in a snow storm with them on and had very little trouble with them.

Dzenno used them on the track last year and he got really good times with them, and since they are cheaper then the PS2's so you can't go wrong.

Appreciate 0