E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 Best suspension?

03-02-2023, 11:33 PM   #1
Aaron79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

E90 Best suspension?

Hey guys! just am about to finish fixing my e90 after many many months of restoring this car after its abuse I am missing one thing and that is the suspension. It is horrible and have to replace it but I want to occasionally take this car out to the track and on canyons (this is my first manual car and will be my first time taking it to the track). After scowering through the forums there are many options for different types of coilovers like kw's, bc, blistein and many others I have been looking it. I just wanted to come on here and ask for your guys opinions on what the best options are for me considering I will be daily driving this to work almost everyday and occasionally having fun with it on the weekends here and there.

Thank you for your time and all your guys insight I know you will provide!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 01:42 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'd say koni yellow or bilstein b8 shocks and BMW performance springs. M3 arms and bushings (especially rear subframe and front arms) where they're a direct fit, and fresh Lemforder/TRW bushings/balls. Pull out the camber pins in the top mounts, and max out the negative camber. Have a trusted shop align to M-sport specs (except front camber, which should be as negative as possible but still even).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
72GMC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

+1 on the M3 overhaul kit.

I did this, + uprated F&R sway bars, + coilovers with integrated camber plates.

Coilovers have 10k front & 12k rear spring rate.
I wouldn't recommend this, the front is too stiff, I would go 8k next time. At slower speeds, it rides like a garbage truck. On the plus side, it's nicely snubbed at highway speed.

It truly shines on track days. Only downside is bumpy braking zones, a softer front would improve that.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

It's hard to say what's difinitively 'best' as one might ride the best, one might handle the best, one might provide best bang for buck, etc.

Without getting into super custom setups that cost upwards of $5G, Ohlins R&T is probably the best off the shelf setup for these cars. KW's are decent but tend to leak prematurely and most have progressive springs. TC Kline also makes a very competent setup that would be on my radar if I was in the market for suspension. Or you could do a cup kit with Koni or Bilstein dampers. The problem with a Koni based cup kit is limited travel which is a bummer as they really are great shocks. Bilstein also makes the PSS kit which is like $900 and probably a phenomenal value for what you get but won't compete with the performance of some of the slightly pricier setups.
Appreciate 1