E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Found a Bent rod, can I drop it out the bottom?

12-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #133
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
Hmmm... must be some kind of anti piracy thing or the data rate over Bluetooth is not fast/reliable enough.
No, I don't think that is the reason. Business are all profit oriented and have done their market research. I don't want to offend anyone but most MHD customers are mostly people who want to "tune" the car on the cheap and who aren't mechanically inclined and even if they have access to logs they don't know how to read them. Since there isn't a cheap option for Bluetooth implementation, requires hardware, installation, mobile app, they have decided not to pursue the idea, since probably the Bluetooth option will cost more than the base MDH flash itself and majority of their customers won't need it due to reasons said above. If I want flash tune I would go with something off the shelf, not generic MHD flash. If I care to know how engine runs at all times and be able to do logs with ease and without dangling cables in the car I would go with JB4 with Bluetoot option.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #134
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Hmmm... must be some kind of anti piracy thing or the data rate over Bluetooth is not fast/reliable enough.
No, I don't think that is the reason. Business are all profit oriented and have done their market research. I don't want to offend anyone but most MHD customers are mostly people who want to "tune" the car on the cheap and who aren't mechanically inclined and even if they have access to logs they don't know how to read them. Since there isn't a cheap option for Bluetooth implementation, requires hardware, installation, mobile app, they have decided not to pursue the idea, since probably the Bluetooth option will cost more than the base MDH flash itself. If I want flash tune I would go with something off the shelf, not generic MHD flash. If I care to know how engine runs at all times and be able to do logs with ease and without dangling cables in the car I would go with JB4 with Bluetoot option.
I agree but Bluetooth is a cheap and easy thing now. My Bluetooth OBD2 dongke was about $20 and it has quick data transfer of a dozen displays in Torque at once. I have also been able to monitor my car from 30' away through walls. I also have a Bluetooth audio receiver and transmitter that cost about $20 and the audio quality is awesome which means a high data rate. It SEEMS like it could be done easily. I need to play with MHD and see what I can do.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #135
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree but Bluetooth is a cheap and easy thing now. My Bluetooth OBD2 dongke was about $20 and it has quick data transfer of a dozen displays in Torque at once. I have also been able to monitor my car from 30' away through walls. I also have a Bluetooth audio receiver and transmitter that cost about $20 and the audio quality is awesome which means a high data rate. It SEEMS like it could be done easily. I need to play with MHD and see what I can do.
True, those ELM style Bluetooth dongles are cheap but you end up with the box sticking out from the OBD port. Would you be Ok with that? JB4 bluetoot is hidden In the ECU compartment. To compete with JB4 MHD will need something similar and it won't be $20. How much is the base tune? $100?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #136
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True, those ELM style Bluetooth dongles are cheap but you end up with the box sticking out from the OBD port. Would you be Ok with that? JB4 bluetoot is hidden In the ECU compartment. To compete with JB4 MHD will need something similar and it won't be $20. How much is the base tune? $100?
I get it. I am not a total cheapskate but I Hardy see my OBD2 Bluetooth dongle. It is only about 1/2" tall.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #137
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Since there isn't a cheap option for Bluetooth implementation, requires hardware, installation, mobile app, they have decided not to pursue the idea
This is incorrect. MHD did not "decide not to pursue the idea", wireless flashing/monitoring is on it's way, just not ready yet. There's no major hardware issues (xHP already has wireless flashing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post
MHD bluetooth is enroute with a special dongle.
Quote:
probably the Bluetooth option will cost more than the base MDH flash itself
For reference, the dongle for xHP is $64.99. MHD flasher N54 with the flash module, monitor module, and 1 map pack is $217. So no, wireless flashing for MHD is likely not going to "cost more than the MHD flash".

Quote:
If I want flash tune I would go with something off the shelf, not generic MHD flash
MHD has two parts - the software (flasher module) and the map (map pack). You don't choose one or the other, you use them in combination. And the map packs are OTS maps.

Quote:
JB4 bluetoot is hidden In the ECU compartment. To compete with JB4 MHD will need something similar
JB4 bluetooth is in the ECU compartment because it's meant to connect directly to the JB4. There's no point in using OBD2 for that purpose (and might not even be possible due to CAN bus limitations). A wireless dongle for MHD wouldn't be subject to either of these, so an OBD2 dongle is just fine.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #138
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
This is incorrect. MHD did not "decide not to pursue the idea", wireless flashing/monitoring is on it's way, just not ready yet. There's no major hardware issues (xHP already has wireless flashing).

For reference, the dongle for xHP is $64.99. MHD flasher N54 with the flash module, monitor module, and 1 map pack is $217. So no, wireless flashing for MHD is likely not going to "cost more than the MHD flash".

MHD has two parts - the software (flasher module) and the map (map pack). You don't choose one or the other, you use them in combination. And the map packs are OTS maps.

JB4 bluetooth is in the ECU compartment because it's meant to connect directly to the JB4. There's no point in using OBD2 for that purpose (and might not even be possible due to CAN bus limitations). A wireless dongle for MHD wouldn't be subject to either of these, so an OBD2 dongle is just fine.
We turned this thread into jb4/mhd war already so I will be short: jb4 Bluetooth available for years now, mhd still in the trenches.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #139
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

We turned this thread into jb4/mhd war already so I will be short: jb4 Bluetooth available for years now, mhd still in the trenches.
Naw, I've run both and both are great. MHD overall is a lot younger, so it makes sense that some features aren't available yet.

But for OP's case, if you want wireless gauges/logging now, JB4 is your best (only) bet. You can always sell it down the road if MHD wireless monitoring works for you.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #140
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Naw, I've run both and both are great. MHD overall is a lot younger, so it makes sense that some features aren't available yet.

But for OP's case, if you want wireless gauges/logging now, JB4 is your best (only) bet. You can always sell it down the road if MHD wireless monitoring works for you.
I would never use wireless for flashing due to the risk. but I would like to use wireless for displays and data logging.
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
b92539.50
      01-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #141
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Any updates on how this car is running? Did you get your boost discrepancy figured out?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #142
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Any updates on how this car is running? Did you get your boost discrepancy figured out?
It is running good. I have it at the shop now trying to get the rear corner frame fixed from a prior wreck. I added a JB4 but I have not had time to mess with different maps yet.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #143
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

The Saga Continues....

I have found another 2008 E93 with a near perfect body but 155k miles and a bad transmission sensor. So rather than fix my 2007 with a rear wreck I have decided to swap my 75k mile drivetrain into this new car. Then I will sell off my other car or maybe part out the other good running engine, xenon headlights, etc. I have another thread asking about the easiest way to swap the drivetrain over between the two. [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1