E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Out of Alignment

10-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335XI

E90 Out of Alignment

2008 E90 335XI 131k miles

Brought the car in to get an alignment because it's pulling to the right. Figured for sure the alignment would fix the problem. Nope!

Brand new tires. I mean brand new like 200 miles on all 4 of them. I've rotated them every possible way. Tires are all balanced. Rims aren't bent. Car was just aligned and the tech said he maxed out the alignment and it's still out of spec on the right front and right rear. The left side is in spec, however.

Right front camber: -0.8 to -0.1 (spec) and it's currently -1.1 (WAS -1.7 degrees)
Right front toe: -0.05 to 0.12 (spec) and it's currently -0.06 (WAS -0.08 degrees)
Right rear camber: -1.8 to -1.3 (spec) and it's currently -1.9 (WAS -1.9 degrees)
Right rear toe: 0.03 to 0.13 (spec) and it's currently 0.10 (WAS -0.27 degrees)

The tech told me that the alignment is what it is and cannot be adjusted further. He STRONGLY recommends I replace all 4 shocks/struts, mounts, and springs. He said after replacing those I will be able to get the car properly aligned.

I got a second opinion and that opinion said that he finds it very far-fetched that I'd have to replace all of that just to get my car aligned. He said in his 40 years of car ownership he's never EVER had to replace a shock or a spring to get a car in alignment. He said generally speaking the first thing to look at when it comes to bad alignment is the ball joint.

Opinions? I'd really like to get my car fixed and driving straight so I don't improperly wear my brand new Nittos tread all funky...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I agree with the second guy. Unless you just got into an accident and bent the suspension/frame/mounts, first guy is a rookie or just trying to book hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
2008 E90 335XI 131k miles

Brought the car in to get an alignment because it's pulling to the right. Figured for sure the alignment would fix the problem. Nope!

Brand new tires. I mean brand new like 200 miles on all 4 of them. I've rotated them every possible way. Tires are all balanced. Rims aren't bent. Car was just aligned and the tech said he maxed out the alignment and it's still out of spec on the right front and right rear. The left side is in spec, however.

Right front camber: -0.8 to -0.1 (spec) and it's currently -1.1 (WAS -1.7 degrees)
Right front toe: -0.05 to 0.12 (spec) and it's currently -0.06 (WAS -0.08 degrees)
Right rear camber: -1.8 to -1.3 (spec) and it's currently -1.9 (WAS -1.9 degrees)
Right rear toe: 0.03 to 0.13 (spec) and it's currently 0.10 (WAS -0.27 degrees)

The tech told me that the alignment is what it is and cannot be adjusted further. He STRONGLY recommends I replace all 4 shocks/struts, mounts, and springs. He said after replacing those I will be able to get the car properly aligned.

I got a second opinion and that opinion said that he finds it very far-fetched that I'd have to replace all of that just to get my car aligned. He said in his 40 years of car ownership he's never EVER had to replace a shock or a spring to get a car in alignment. He said generally speaking the first thing to look at when it comes to bad alignment is the ball joint.

Opinions? I'd really like to get my car fixed and driving straight so I don't improperly wear my brand new Nittos tread all funky...
Have you ever replaced your rear toe arms?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say guy #1 is wrong. Struts bend, so do the knuckle assemblies. We can't diagnose your car from our living room, but if all of your bushings/ball joints/tie rods are in good shape front and rear, and you can't get it into alignment, something is bent.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say guy #1 is wrong. Struts bend, so do the knuckle assemblies. We can't diagnose your car from our living room, but if all of your bushings/ball joints/tie rods are in good shape front and rear, and you can't get it into alignment, something is bent.
Yeah, to have the front camber on a stockish non-sport car near -2* is insane. Something is definitely going on there; especially if toe can't be adjusted any farther either.
Appreciate 0