E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 After market touch screen backup camera?

10-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #1
xbobsix1
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 440I F36

Question E90 After market touch screen backup camera?

Hello Everyone!

I installed an aftermarket touchscreen in my 335I E90 from 2008. It replaces the radio, and i absolutely love it.

I tried to install the backup camera that came with the screen, and i ran all the wiring through the car, and that all went fine.

I cant tho seem to get the camera working.
It's a little while since i did this, and a havent looked into it afterwards. I just thought i would get it working soon, since it's a very nice thing to have in the vehicle.

As far as i remember, you had to run a long cable for power, all the way through the car panels and to the back of the radio/touchscreen, and put it to a wire that provides power. I think that might very possibly be where i went wrong, maybe i did not get it connected to a wire with power?

No matter what i do, the touchscreen just does not seem to get a signal/picture from the camera.

I was hoping someone might have had the same problem as me, and would be able to tell me what they did wrong?

I looked at alot of the videos online, but that did not help me at all unfortunately :/

Please let me know if i can provide more information to assist in the case, and thank you a whole lot in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:36 AM   #2
xbobsix1
Denmark
Rep

Update:
I just saw another video where the wires looked a bit more like mine.
He tapped them to the reverse light, and i dont remember if i did that. I will test that out when i get home. Please still let me know if you have any other ideas!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobsix1 View Post
Update:
I just saw another video where the wires looked a bit more like mine.
He tapped them to the reverse light, and i dont remember if i did that. I will test that out when i get home. Please still let me know if you have any other ideas!

You do not want to power the camera from the reverse light signal, but you can control a relay with it. The problem is that voltage on the reverse signal drops when the car is running. You might get 12v with the engine off, the ignition on, and the car in reverse, but when you turn the engine on, the voltage drops to around 9v. When people try to power reverse camera's directly from the reverse signal they often see the camera working fine with the engine not running, but once the engine is on, the camera does not work correctly.

What you can do is power a simple relay off the reverse signal. I don't know if you are familiar with relays, so I will describe how a simple relay works.

Below is a good diagram of how a relay works. What a relay does is it allows for a small current to be used to throw a switch for a larger current. Positions 85 and 86 are for the small current, such as the reverse light signal. When there is power on that current, a coil is energized and forms an electromagnet. Position 30 is connected to constant power, such as the battery (or you can use anything that will have power when you want, such as the amplifier), and position 87 is connected to what you want to have switched power - ie the camera. When the coil does not have power, and spring will keep 30/87 circuit open, when the coil is energized the electromagnet overcomes the spring, and the 30/87 circuit is closed, and power is available on position 87 - the camera.

Many backup camera's have a relay internally, that is why they have three wires, one for power, one for ground, and a separate control wire. Often the radio is only putting out a low voltage control signal, this is not enough to power the camera, and that may be your issue. It's hard to say without knowing what wires you have for your camera, and where they are connected.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90370.50
      10-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
n50four
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sport; '01 330i Sport

^^^ What Mashman said.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
xbobsix1
Denmark
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
You do not want to power the camera from the reverse light signal, but you can control a relay with it. The problem is that voltage on the reverse signal drops when the car is running. You might get 12v with the engine off, the ignition on, and the car in reverse, but when you turn the engine on, the voltage drops to around 9v. When people try to power reverse camera's directly from the reverse signal they often see the camera working fine with the engine not running, but once the engine is on, the camera does not work correctly.

What you can do is power a simple relay off the reverse signal. I don't know if you are familiar with relays, so I will describe how a simple relay works.

Below is a good diagram of how a relay works. What a relay does is it allows for a small current to be used to throw a switch for a larger current. Positions 85 and 86 are for the small current, such as the reverse light signal. When there is power on that current, a coil is energized and forms an electromagnet. Position 30 is connected to constant power, such as the battery (or you can use anything that will have power when you want, such as the amplifier), and position 87 is connected to what you want to have switched power - ie the camera. When the coil does not have power, and spring will keep 30/87 circuit open, when the coil is energized the electromagnet overcomes the spring, and the 30/87 circuit is closed, and power is available on position 87 - the camera.

Many backup camera's have a relay internally, that is why they have three wires, one for power, one for ground, and a separate control wire. Often the radio is only putting out a low voltage control signal, this is not enough to power the camera, and that may be your issue. It's hard to say without knowing what wires you have for your camera, and where they are connected.

Hello,

Thank you alot for that, i realise that it does in fact have a control wire, ground and power wire. The control and ground wire are in the trunk, and that is what i know i have to connect to the reverse light, i just dont know which wire goes where.

I know its an awful image, but you get the idea. I have 4 wires that goes to my tail light. and 2 wires from the camera that should get to those wires. I just dont know which one goes where. I looked it up everywhere, but everyone seems to have different wiring for the lights than i do.

For this part, the image below is a good reference.
For another case. The wire that i have taken all the way through the panels of the car, and to the end, has an input ending, that i just plugged into a random slot where it fit, but there are 4 yellow color matching plugs it could also go into.
And also a small red wire is comming out from it, which i believe has to go to some power outlet? i just honestly dont know what wire is a power outlet in my case.

P.S. i use Posi Taps, so that is what is on the wire.

Thank you so much in advance, i really hope you can help me getting this fixed!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:58 AM   #6
xbobsix1
Denmark
Rep

Bump!

Can somebody please assist me? I am not sure what wires i should wire these to.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobsix1 View Post
Hello,

Thank you alot for that, i realise that it does in fact have a control wire, ground and power wire. The control and ground wire are in the trunk, and that is what i know i have to connect to the reverse light, i just dont know which wire goes where.

I know its an awful image, but you get the idea. I have 4 wires that goes to my tail light. and 2 wires from the camera that should get to those wires. I just dont know which one goes where. I looked it up everywhere, but everyone seems to have different wiring for the lights than i do.

For this part, the image below is a good reference.
For another case. The wire that i have taken all the way through the panels of the car, and to the end, has an input ending, that i just plugged into a random slot where it fit, but there are 4 yellow color matching plugs it could also go into.
And also a small red wire is comming out from it, which i believe has to go to some power outlet? i just honestly dont know what wire is a power outlet in my case.

P.S. i use Posi Taps, so that is what is on the wire.

Thank you so much in advance, i really hope you can help me getting this fixed!
Can you post exactly what radio, and camera you purchased? Then people can lookup the installation manual themselves.

Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
xbobsix1
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Can you post exactly what radio, and camera you purchased? Then people can lookup the installation manual themselves.
Hello, there are no install manual as far as i am aware of.

I looked around, and ended up installing the screen from what just made sense, and that works all fine, it's just the camera now.

But to answer your question, the camera came with the screen, and this is the screen/set i bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...901500644.html
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I found the below image on the website, and marked it up. I'm assuming you are trying to install the camera that came with the radio?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 02:15 AM   #10
xbobsix1
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
I found the below image on the website, and marked it up. I'm assuming you are trying to install the camera that came with the radio?
I will try this later, thank you a whole lot! <3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:

Looking to do this with an Auto Vox V2 soon which I believe only has a power wire (that's supposed to tap the reverse lights). So would something like this be what I need to proceed?

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Wate...70_&dpSrc=srch

So based on the attached image below:
I would tap 30 direct to the battery. What fuse size should I use?

87 to the (aftermarket) reverse camera power line.

85 is ground (to chassis), and 86 is the reverse light?. And by the nature of the relay, I won't have to worry about battery drain when the car is not on, correct?
Attached Images

Last edited by bluewater328; 11-13-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:05 AM   #12
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Could someone please colour code and label the 4 individual wires that run into the reverse light. I no one is brown obviously ground but not sure on the others (that I'm assuming are for the reverse, turn and brake lights?)

Thanks, I have a 2006 335i e92 (in case it's specific to model and year)

P.s. trying to install reverse camera... (noticed a lot of different answers on this so wanting to confirm)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhoe View Post
Could someone please colour code and label the 4 individual wires that run into the reverse light. I no one is brown obviously ground but not sure on the others (that I'm assuming are for the reverse, turn and brake lights?)

P.s. trying to install reverse camera... (noticed a lot of different answers on this so wanting to confirm)
You didn't say which side of the car.

All lighting
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...body/lighting/

Reverse lights
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lights/hw11Pwd

Parking lights
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-light/i7o2pTr

Brake lights
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-light/i8G6Rvx
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:56 PM   #14
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
Quote:

You didn't say which side of the car.

All lighting
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...body/lighting/

Reverse lights
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lights/hw11Pwd

Parking lights
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-light/i7o2pTr

Brake lights
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-light/i8G6Rvx
Sorry I have a 2006 AT 335i e92 right hand drive (from Australia so European model) looking to find the reverse light positive wire on the rear right side next to the battery.

Picture shows the connection I've tapped into the ground wire (brown) and just need to know which is the reverse wire is. I've read every where they say black and purple but mines obviously different as I don't have the same colours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I have a 2006 AT 335i e92 right hand drive (from Australia so European model) looking to find the reverse light positive wire on the rear right side next to the battery.

Picture shows the connection I've tapped into the ground wire (brown) and just need to know which is the reverse wire is. I've read every where they say black and purple but mines obviously different as I don't have the same colours.
Sorry I linked the wrong diagrams.
Here's the correct link for your 2006 E93
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lights/lz7yIm7

The reverse light is the black with blue stripe (next to the brown wire).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #16
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

The reverse light is the black with blue stripe (next to the brown wire).[/QUOTE]

Is it definitely the blue and black wire next to the brown as there are two identical blue and black wires one next to the brown wire and one at the end.

P.s

Thank you so much for your help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Is it definitely the blue and black wire next to the brown as there are two identical blue and black wires one next to the brown wire and one at the end.

P.s

According to the wiring diagram, yes.
The only way to know for sure is to test it.
Appreciate 1
Mrhoe1.50
      10-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #18
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
Quote:

P.s

According to the wiring diagram, yes.
The only way to know for sure is to test it.

Tested and successful!!!! Thank you again for your time...

I was even able to wire everything without using a relay fuse and having to tap into the battery for extra power. I used a 12v DC power relay capacitor filter rectifier and tapped into the reverse light positive and ground and it all works with no power issues..

P.s
reverse camera does activate when I press the PDC button even in motion so I can control it manually as well as it activating in reverse gear..
Appreciate 1
Canuck335148.00
      07-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
Jhin335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 08 335i

Quote:
Tested and successful!!!! Thank you again for your time...

I was even able to wire everything without using a relay fuse and having to tap into the battery for extra power. I used a 12v DC power relay capacitor filter rectifier and tapped into the reverse light positive and ground and it all works with no power issues..

P.s
reverse camera does activate when I press the PDC button even in motion so I can control it manually as well as it activating in reverse gear..
So how is the camera holding up with the relay you bought? Just decided to put in
A camera myself ,and came across the same issues, is it still holding up?
And thanks to this post and all the help from everyone it made
It easier for me to do. Lol
Appreciate 0