E90Post
 


Extreme Powerhouse
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best brakes for FBO e92 335/appropriate price?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
E92TiAg335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
31
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 2013 M-sport 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boca Raton,FL

iTrader: (0)

Best brakes for FBO e92 335/appropriate price?

Hey guys. I have a FBO 335i 6mt.

It's about time for me to get new brakes.

I am looking for something dustless and for anything that slightly improves braking.

Yes, the stock brakes are very good, but I remember putting Axxis/PBR Metal Masters on my e46 m3 and they definitely improved the "bite" (and were dustless).

I just got quoted $736.96 from a local indy shop for Akebono pads, rotors, and sensors with labor.

Is this a good deal?

Should I get a different brand?

I do not track the car, but will need to drive it a lot around for work soon (and i like to get into boost at times )

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Achappell8
Private
United_States
9
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Akebono are decent pads. I went with aftermarket pads and stop tech (centric) rotors my first brake job on my e90x. Switched back to OEM despite the dust. Can't beat em in my opinion.

Price quote seems reasonable. All in your prob around 400$ ish for parts and ~3 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
320IN54
Second Lieutenant
65
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

+1 on akebonos I used to have crazy amount of dust with oem pads and swapped to akebonos. Little to no amount of dust and the braking feel feels the same. I do brake very hard sometimes and these pads have never let me down.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
IISevv
Private
United_States
20
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i FBO
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Stop techs are also very good options. $350/$400 for a high quality product is to be expected, but 3 hours of labor is ridiculous. A good shop with a lift and air tools should spend no more than 20-25 minutes per corner
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
nsjames
Captain
369
Rep
984
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

I put the akebono euro pads on my wife's volvo, upgraded to a brembo 305mm rotor at the same time.

performance is OK. They are completely dustless. They don't work for shit when cold though.

would recommend for a long lasting DD pad, but not for performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Pladi
Captain
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
213
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
Hey guys. I have a FBO 335i 6mt.

It's about time for me to get new brakes.

I am looking for something dustless and for anything that slightly improves braking.

Yes, the stock brakes are very good, but I remember putting Axxis/PBR Metal Masters on my e46 m3 and they definitely improved the "bite" (and were dustless).

I just got quoted $736.96 from a local indy shop for Akebono pads, rotors, and sensors with labor.

Is this a good deal?

Should I get a different brand?

I do not track the car, but will need to drive it a lot around for work soon (and i like to get into boost at times )

Thanks in advance!


MEasure your rotors, if within spec spend 90 bucks at rockauto for STOPTECH brake pads (amazing) for rear and front. Youll be good for at least 4 years normal driving.

Stoptech pads are amazing. Alot of people replace rotors for no reason. Big waste of money esp if you dont track.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
IISevv
Private
United_States
20
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i FBO
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post


MEasure your rotors, if within spec spend 90 bucks at rockauto for STOPTECH brake pads (amazing) for rear and front. Youll be good for at least 4 years normal driving.

Stoptech pads are amazing. Alot of people replace rotors for no reason. Big waste of money esp if you dont track.
+1! Don’t replace your rotors just because a shop says “you need to”. Look up factory specs and measure them.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Pladi
Captain
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
213
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IISevv View Post
+1! Don’t replace your rotors just because a shop says “you need to”. Look up factory specs and measure them.
The rotors actually have a minimum number stamped on them in mm. Use a caliper and check. ITs rarely off spec. You would have to use a rotor in normal condition for over 150k to be off spec by thickness.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
E92TiAg335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
31
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 2013 M-sport 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boca Raton,FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I put the akebono euro pads on my wife's volvo, upgraded to a brembo 305mm rotor at the same time.

performance is OK. They are completely dustless. They don't work for shit when cold though.

would recommend for a long lasting DD pad, but not for performance.
I live in South Florida. Does that matter? Or are you saying while the brakes themselves are cold?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
nsjames
Captain
369
Rep
984
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

cold as in below 150*.

they're fine after you've been driving and they have some heat in them.
they're kind of sketchy in sub zero temps for the first few stops.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
1nVasiv3
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IISevv View Post
+1! Don’t replace your rotors just because a shop says “you need to”. Look up factory specs and measure them.

What he said ^
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST