E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What Engine Oil is Best for our BMW?

04-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
gallery
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2006

What Engine Oil is Best for our BMW?

Hi. I just wanted to know what oil is best for our beloved BMW's. Any benefits or negative effects? At least people will have an idea...

I've been using MOTUL SPECIFIC LL-01. Any feedback on this one?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

The one suggested by BMW......look at your oil cap. Castrol I beleieve
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenGh View Post
Two or three years ago I did extensive research on this subject and I found that the top few brands (Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Motul, etc) and the Full synthetic oils they make have very little variances in quality and behavior.

As long as you're using a full synthetic and you stay on top of changes and filter changes any of the big names will be fine.

People love to sensationalize things. Truth is there are many cars on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles that were maintained using non-synthetic... You don't think these new motors with the best motor oils will last just as long or longer? Don't beat yourself up over the oil. Pick a big name synthetic that meets BMW specs and enjoy the drive.
Fixed it for you.

BTW Royal Purple not only doesn't meet BMW specs but it certainly isn't one of the tob brands either - a moot point because the OP is in the Philippines and can't get that crap there anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Here you go: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I've been switching between Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0W30....both LL-01
      04-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
ArenGh
If it feels good do it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35ix, '10 128i

You're right, I lack the Technical information to make the right recommendations.

Please disregard any advice I've given thus far in this discussion guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Frank Ricard
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
^^^^ WOW, what complete RUBBISH. You have reached so many baseless, absurd conclusions it's not even worth the effort to address them all. This is precisely why people should ignore posts like yours. You have absolutely NO TECHNICAL BASIS to reach any of your conclusions - which is pretty typical of internet WizDumb. There is some good info. @ BITOG and a lot of B.S. Without considerable technical expertise you could not possibly know what is true and what is baseless opinion.

None of that however replaces objective, scientific test data. The only appropriate test data that is relevant for BMW non-M gas engines operated in the U.S. is the LL-01 oil sequence test data. Since you have NO LL-01 test data, you are not qualified to state any conclusions regarding the appropriate oils for BMW engines other than LL-01 approved oils of the proper viscosity.

No disrespect but your posts are a perfect example of someone who lacks the technical expertise to understand the subject matter. You should refrain from posting technically inaccurate oil recommendations as it could cost BMW owners their engine warranty and potentially damage their engine, from using a non BMW LL-01 approved oil. BMW engineers and tribologists don't guess... they actually test oils to determine the proper oil for a given application.

BTW, I am completely relaxed because I know the facts on BMW oils and that's precisely what I state. I don't make incorrect, baseless, broad brushed statements.
What are your qualifications to make such remarks? PDF's or scans of applicable degrees and job titles will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Frank Ricard
Rep

Quote:
Welcome "Frank" or should I say Turkeybaster115 ? First post huh...

Degrees and PDFs of job titles have nothing to do with what BMW REQUIRES that you use for oil in your engine to comply with your new vehicle warranty. They test engines and oils and stipulate what oils must be used. They back their oil mandate with a 50K-100K mile engine warranty. They don't guess, they actually test. Read your OM and stop posting foolish comments.

If you don't understand this perhaps you should have someone explain this to you.

BTW, MSDS sheets STILL don't tell you how an oil lubricates either...
Excuse me? You are the Brigadier General, not me. I assumed that with the vast knowledge of oils and its propensity to shear that you imply you have, some sort of degree or job title in the industry that proves your not-only first hand, but rather educated opinion which you state as fact must be backed by something other than BMW's recommendations.

BTW, if you think this is a duplicate account, please have whichever mod you are closest to check my IP and or MAC. Needless to say, he will inform you I have never been a member here.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Welcome "Frank" or should I say Turkeybaster115 ? First post huh...

Degrees and PDFs of job titles have nothing to do with what BMW REQUIRES that you use for oil in your engine to comply with your new vehicle warranty. They test engines and oils and stipulate what oils must be used. They back their oil mandate with a 50K-100K mile engine warranty. They don't guess, they actually test. Read your OM and stop posting foolish comments.

If you don't understand this perhaps you should have someone explain this to you.

BTW, MSDS sheets STILL don't tell you how an oil lubricates either...

LMFAO............ What is this now for you TrackRat.... round 100+ .

I'm amazed by your commitment and have out most respect for you in making sure people do have right information before pooring

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged

Last edited by Belarus; 04-29-2011 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ricard View Post
Excuse me? You are the Brigadier General, not me. I assumed that with the vast knowledge of oils and its propensity to shear that you imply you have, some sort of degree or job title in the industry that proves your not-only first hand, but rather educated opinion which you state as fact must be backed by something other than BMW's recommendations.

BTW, if you think this is a duplicate account, please have whichever mod you are closest to check my IP and or MAC. Needless to say, he will inform you I have never been a member here.
Turkeybasterd has a twin!

Like posts from TB, one has to ask what the point of your post is. The fact remains that in order to keep your warranty intact, you must use approved oil. Since it is completely impossible for a driver to tell the differences in oils (at least of similar and appropriate viscosity) why would you want to risk your engine for the bragging rights of using some designer oil like Royal Poopie or amSOIL?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Specs are the real thing. This or that brand doesn't matter much.

LL-01 is justified by extended oil change intervals. If you change it every 6 months or less, I wouldn't bother about it if out of warranty (I would even use regular dino oil in a turbo engine like I did with my 3 previous turbo cars). However that would be pointless because in my experience, LL-01 are no more expensive than regular synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I've just never understood this question. Many places on the web sell BMW LL-01 oil for $6 a quart, which is comparatively priced with synthetics from the auto parts chains, so why even consider a different oil than what BMW sells as OEM factory-fill lubricant and is as easy to get as a few key strokes and a credit card number.

Then there are boneheads on the Forum like me who keep, time after time, telling everyone they use BMW's oil and filter, at the CBS oil change interval (mine is about every 17,500 miles) and have had no problems with engine performance even after 142,000 miles. Note: if you want to change your oil at half the BMW OCI, then by all means do it; I'm just providing facts (of my experience) as TrackRat likes to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I've just never understood this question. Many places on the web sell BMW LL-01 oil for $6 a quart, which is comparatively priced with synthetics from the auto parts chains, so why even consider a different oil than what BMW sells as OEM factory-fill lubricant and is as easy to get as a few key strokes and a credit card number.

Then there are boneheads on the Forum like me who keep, time after time, telling everyone they use BMW's oil and filter, at the CBS oil change interval (mine is about every 17,500 miles) and have had no problems with engine performance even after 142,000 miles. Note: if you want to change your oil at half the BMW OCI, then by all means do it; I'm just providing facts (of my experience) as TrackRat likes to see.
There you go again, trying to inject facts into an oil discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
As explained in numerous other oil threads LL oil specs are not just about extended OCIs. LL oils have different chemistry and you need to use the correct chemistry for the application.
LL stands for LONG LIFE. This could give you a clue.

People are going a bit over the top about it. Don't worry if you put a regular mineral oil and change it more often, your engine or turbo won't start to disintegrate.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

People are going a bit over the top about it. Don't worry if you put a regular mineral oil and change it more often, your engine or turbo won't start to disintegrate.
The long life is only part of the equation.

I don't understand your post. Up until now you've been pretty logical but now you're starting to sound like a designer oil fanboi.

Do what you want with your car (see the "why did you buy your car new" thread and these threads are a fine example to not buy used) but please don't give anyone the impression that it is OK to use dino oil in our cars.

Last edited by ceb; 04-30-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

Don't forget HTHS must be 3.5 cp or greater. ACEA A3/B4.

All euro oils follow the basica ACEA standards and then each OEM add their little twist on it. Example: Porsche is big on anti-foaming, BMW for VANOS.

Some OEM approval is weight specificat Ex. VW 507/504 will always be a 30w.

The biggest thing IMO is HTHS. You don't want to go below 3.5

Last edited by F32Fleet; 04-30-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Since you fail to understand that the chemistry is different between LL-01 and LL-04 oils, you've made it clear you lack a technical comprehension of BMW oil sequence tests specifications. Can you show us your BMW oil test data or are you just going to continue posting baseless, unsubstantiated opinion?

If you use oil with the wrong chemistry for the engine, you could change it daily and it still won't properly protect the engine.

LL-01 and others similars may have a valid point about lasting. The rest is pure bullshit. Otherwise, you can bet your ass that other engine makers would follow it.

Don't be so naive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Welcome "Frank" or should I say Turkeybaster115 ? First post huh... [/B]
Wow, Rat, thanks for showing me some love. You still dodge all my questions on oil, don't you? Again, why is BMW using oil that isn't LL01 tested, that is run in an M44 engine for 370 Hours?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Frank Ricard
Rep

Quote:
A persons beliefs or comments are not validated by their credentials or job title. Their beliefs or comments are either true or false based on merit. This should be obvious. If you lack the technical education to understand the subject matter then it's your responsibility to educate yourself. We know what happens when you "assume"...

The FACTS regarding BMW engine oil requirements have been established many times over and are part of the BMW new vehicle warranty requirements. Read your OM. LL-01 is the required oil for non-M BMW gas engines operated in the U.S. The FACTS were summarized in posts #64, #69 and #97 of the thread below. You might want to review the FACTS again if you're still confused on this subject.

Reality does not change just because some folks are unwilling to accept reality.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...06#post9439406

What are you, the white knight for LL-01?

The most important sentence in any of your rants:
Quote:
As I told you many posts ago - no where did I state that LL-01 oils were superior to boutique oils.

You really don't know. Which is why I asked for your credentials. OP didn't state his car was under warranty, so that shouldn't even be discussed here. Reading up on your opinion, I'd agree that if your car is under warranty sticking to an LL-01 makes sense. If not, YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #20
Kourt Boom
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hi. For my BMW M3 I use - BMW 83-21-2-365-950 Twin power Turbo Ll-01 Fe. I guess it's the best.
I find it in this article about engine car oils for BMW - https://carnesmechanical.com/engine-oil-for-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #21
NZbeemer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 323i Convertible

MBL8 engine oil additive

Hello, I have in the past with my older BMW's used a product called MBL8 at every service interval. This keeps engine noise down, and helps with lubrication.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #22
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

I use pennzoil euro 5w40 in my 335, I like it and its always on sale!
Appreciate 0