Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > fronts 5mm rears 1mm

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Sarnman
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M Sport

fronts 5mm rears 1mm

Picked up a 2011 335xi m-sport that is just phenomenal in July. We have had two snow storms so far this winter in Denver and the car just does terribly in them. I took it in for service today and the dealer said I have 4-5mm left on the fronts but the inner rears have only 1-2mm tread left.

I think I know the answer to this but would love any feedback on whether I could get away with just replacing the rears now and the fronts next year. Also it appears that the rears have not worn evenly so I imagine I should get an alignment as well. From reading other threads it looks like many are going with the Conti DWS 06 tires, which actually aren't TOO expensive.

Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnman
Picked up a 2011 335xi m-sport that is just phenomenal in July. We have had two snow storms so far this winter in Denver and the car just does terribly in them. I took it in for service today and the dealer said I have 4-5mm left on the fronts but the inner rears have only 1-2mm tread left.

I think I know the answer to this but would love any feedback on whether I could get away with just replacing the rears now and the fronts next year. Also it appears that the rears have not worn evenly so I imagine I should get an alignment as well. From reading other threads it looks like many are going with the Conti DWS 06 tires, which actually aren't TOO expensive.

Any help is appreciated!
Got them a couple of months back, and really happy with them. Haven't tried them in snow yet but great in dry/wet and got tired of changing tires every 15'ish k, and thinking these will last quite a bit longer without a huge sacrifice in feel.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Sarnman
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Got them a couple of months back, and really happy with them. Haven't tried them in snow yet but great in dry/wet and got tired of changing tires every 15'ish k, and thinking these will last quite a bit longer without a huge sacrifice in feel.
Nice. I'd prefer to have a set of summer tires and a set of winters, but I just don't think that's in the cards right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Nice. I'd prefer to have a set of summer tires and a set of winters, but I just don't think that's in the cards right now.
We all do, but where we are at we barely get any snow so it's a good compromise. Put them on wife's car the other week and worked out good. If I ran full snow tires I would run Nokian, they are fantastic and used to run those in Sweden. Also with all-wheel/4 wheel I would try to change them all at the same time, especially if your power distribution is 50/50. My other car is 60/40 so might feel a bit more open to a partial on that one.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

New tires in the rear for now should be fine, but what tires do you have in the front? If the cars drives crappy in the snow now, don't expect a huge difference if you end up just replacing the rear tires.
Appreciate 0