E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > best intercooler?

View Poll Results: what is the best intercooler for the 335
stett 7 7.14%
helix 36 36.73%
spearco code 3 20 20.41%
other (please specify in a post) 35 35.71%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

10-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #45
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
No it just proves my point that members will vote the one that they have. And alot of members have bought the Helix and VK not saying that they are not great interccolers its just a statement of fact.
I would hope as a vendor and designer of the Helix FMIC that people would vote for it not just for the fact that they bought one, but rather that it met or exceeded their expectations from the vast amount of data (yes we actually provided solid data prior to release and tested different variations to release the best vs hype and excuses) that we as well as our end users have provided. all those happy customers and even independent vendors(who can sell any intercooler they want to and have tested it against others) have nothing but good things to say I honestly hope it goes beyond defending what you own because quite a few people have swapped other intercoolers out for ours and Id rather have a customer that buys the FMIC on the merits of the data and end user recommendations and not hype or brand...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #46
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by john boxter View Post
wait so no difference on the butt dyno prior to 6200 rpm?
Honestly it has been raining here. I haven't been to the track, dragstrip, or dyno with it yet. I just know the most noticeable part right off the bat (probably with just about any aftermarket FMIC, just that mine is AMS so I can only list that one) is the excellent consistency between back to back WOT's as well as a definite power increase above 6K rpm's. To add to that it seems a bit smoother now too, and that is throughout the ENTIRE RPM band. Car just seems to run better almost like I bumped up the octane and replaced a dirty air filter.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #47
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I voted for ETS

We have tons of data on our website.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/I...duct_info.html

If anyone has questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Michael
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #48
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
I would hope as a vendor and designer of the Helix FMIC that people would vote for it not just for the fact that they bought one, but rather that it met or exceeded their expectations from the vast amount of data (yes we actually provided solid data prior to release and tested different variations to release the best vs hype and excuses) that we as well as our end users have provided. all those happy customers and even independent vendors(who can sell any intercooler they want to and have tested it against others) have nothing but good things to say I honestly hope it goes beyond defending what you own because quite a few people have swapped other intercoolers out for ours and Id rather have a customer that buys the FMIC on the merits of the data and end user recommendations and not hype or brand...
Well said.

The way I see it, there are going to be 2 groups who will support a particular product (in this case, aftermarket FMIC).
Group A buys because everyone else is.
Group B buys because they've researched, questioned and made an informed decision to purchase.

I found Helix to be the absolute best value for the money. Proven gains, improved design over the earlier product, positive/strong reputation within the Mini Cooper world & the price wasn't the most or the least (shows to me they weren't trying to capitalize on making a quick buck, that way) even with the GB pricing.

SIDE NOTE:
Anyone installing a performance mod on their car is going to notice the slightest difference & is going to swear it's the biggest & best thing available for these cars. Those of us who are always looking for something better know the difference between "feeling" an improvement & actually "seeing" an improvement in performance.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #49
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I just installed my AA intercooler this weekend. It was a total pain in the ass to install and took about 5 hours. Now that i've done it though it would probably only take about 3hrs max. Finding all the little screws and organizing them to know where they all went back in was the part that took so much time cause I wanted to be careful.

I'm happy with the improvements from the install. Its not a HUGE difference but its definitely noticeable. Where the car used to fall flat above 5000rpm or so it just keeps pulling and pulling. The spool seems a little quicker too.

I havent experience any of the other intercoolers... but I think overall its a great mod.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #50
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
AMS

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #51
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I went with AMS. just a note that size of core (referring to the bigger comments) doesn't necessarily correlate with better cooling efficiency.

Not saying AMS is better as I haven't seen side by side data, but just wanted to add a technical note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
AMS

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0