E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing DSC Hydro Unit E90, E92

03-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #23
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

As an update my limited research shows that the Bosch electric motor which drives the hydraulic pump is the issue. The brush material which Bosch used is graphite and that combined with the brush holders (2 brushes per motor) allows the brushes to not make contact with the slip ring thus allowing rpm drop throwing the code.

I don't know if Bosch changed their material or not for newer ABS units but this issues which started in late 2006 when Bosch did the change over to a different design (fewer solenoids as previous versions) was the beginning of this problem.

I have never read of any problem other than the brush issue. Modulemaster is a place that does repair the brush issue by changing out the brushes with a different version (that what has been reported to me anyway). They seem hit or miss because nothing is changed on these motors they are all 2 brush design and the repair is simple.

The repair which I did is to just take the can off the motor, clean the brushes and reinstall. If you want this to last forever you would need to remove the brushes and either change the material out to either say carbon or other graphite material. I opted for the simple clean the brushes and make sure they have sufficient contact to the slip ring. If this happens again I will just now use my spare unit (the one I fixed) and swap the electrical module out and correct the brush issue permanently with a different material. FYI graphite brushes usually are the best choice because they are slippery. I wonder if the brush holders are too tight allowing them to jam.

Here is the best video of the repair. All these units as essentially the same regardless of model to include motorcycles...

There was a better video out there but the owner pulled it.

Can you do this?
Yes.
Is it hard?
Depends on your skill set but if you can change your oil, have a few tools (torx), understand how to bleed brakes you can do this.
You will need to reset the codes and then you should be fine.
Bosch changed the design to allow you to bleed the brakes without having to cycle the ABS contrary to what BMW will tell you.

It also has been reported by one member which I can't confirm and never did this that driving in conditions that allow the ABS to pulse with correct this issue. I fail to see how that is possible when that isn't the problem but I post it for complete disclosure of what I have read.

I hope this helps. It is a shame to pay for the repair when the problem typically is nothing more than a brush stuck too far back from a slip ring...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #24
betaruce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

May i ask if anyone know where we can buy a repaired pump?

So that i dont have to risk damaging the pump or send it to /fro a repair shop
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Coupe4Me View Post
Here is the direct link for the part. http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...506777164.html

I have the electrical unit alone for sale if you need.
Hi, great writeup, first of all. In your first post, granted it was a couple of years ago, you said the part cost ~$500. But the link above goes to a part that's almost $1000?

Repair kit, control unit DSC - 335i Coupe. From 12/2007 Up To 09/2008 . $923.72 34506784812

Last edited by Lotus99; 03-18-2014 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #26
hellosri
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i convertible

My 2008 E93 has the yellow, brake, ABS & traction lights on, with codes 5DF0 & 5DF1. I just shipped my ABS control module/ pump over to http://modulemaster.com & hope to get it back before the weekend.

Nice instructions & pics on this thread, saves me a bunch (dealer quote was $2600 + labor vs $250 + shipping at modulemaster), lets see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosri View Post
My 2008 E93 has the yellow, brake, ABS & traction lights on, with codes 5DF0 & 5DF1. I just shipped my ABS control module/ pump over to http://modulemaster.com & hope to get it back before the weekend.

Nice instructions & pics on this thread, saves me a bunch (dealer quote was $2600 + labor vs $250 + shipping at modulemaster), lets see how it goes.
So if you get the codes, it's the pump for sure? How do you know it's not the control unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #28
hellosri
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So if you get the codes, it's the pump for sure? How do you know it's not the control unit?
Codes are for the ABS control unit and pump. ModuleMaster said I need to ship both. And you can't drive with the hydraulic unit removed, no brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Codes are for the ABS control unit and pump. ModuleMaster said I need to ship both. And you can't drive with the hydraulic unit removed, no brakes.
I see. So whichever is broken (pump or control unit), they can fix both?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #30
hellosri
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I see. So whichever is broken (pump or control unit), they can fix both?
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
hellosri
Registered
Rep

Thumbs up No more Christmas lights on my dash!!

Quote:

Got my ABS unit & pump from modulemaster yesterday. Install was easy, then took it to an indie mechanic for a brake fluid flush. No more errors on the dash & ABS/ DSC/ cruise control etc work good.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #32
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Fantastic!

Not sure if I'll tackle taking it off myself, so with the above instructions, hopefully my indy shop will be ok to do it.

And do you know which codes you'll get if it's a wheel sensor that's gone bad instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #33
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 340i (F30)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if you have to bleed the brakes twice after installing the new ABS? Once after install, and once after activation? Or, can I install it, run the ABS unit with my Bavarian Technic tool, then bleed once?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #34
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE

Great thread. I've just had ABS warning lights and CC-id 24 236 354. Hopefully it could be related to something less expensive, but at least I know there are cheaper options if I have a faulty pump.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #35
allotherareused
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d, f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Coupe4Me View Post
Here is the direct link for the part. http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...506777164.html

I have the electrical unit alone for sale if you need.
I see this is very old post but maybe you remember details
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073208
That seems I have problem, so question is :
Is possible to swap control unit without removing pump ? If I need to change this would like to avoid bleeding part (2 screw are on down side). Also, do you still have control unit and what is part number ?

Thank you in advance,
Dejan
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #36
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

Yes, you can swap out the DSC control module without disconnecting brake lines. I recently did this with my 2008 335i. You have to carefully lift the assembly out of the car to remove the module but it is possible. 3 or 4 nuts secure the pump to the chassis. Some engine compartment covers need to come out. So, no need to bleed lines. Just be careful to not distort the brake lines as you manipulate the unit up out of the engine bay. May take 2 people to do this, one to hold the unit up, the other to remove the module.

My issue is that I need to code my DSC module to my car. I installed a used unit (my original DSC module went bad) and now I've got all the dash warning lights, because the new (used) DSC module I installed is not matched to my car.

I'm exploring ways to do this myself, without having to resort with going to the dealer. Can anybody recommend an Android or Macintosh software/hardware combo that could do this job?

Greg
Houston
2008 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #37
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

My problem seems to have gone away - it was either a slow on a rear tyre confusing the system, or the fact I went out driving a few weeks ago in some very wet slippery weather and gave the ABS a proper workout - I had read that this had cured the problem for a few people - without understanding fully how the ABS system works, could if be possibly for the pump become stiff through lack of use?

Last edited by Emeye; 01-21-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #38
allotherareused
Private
Rep

ABS/DSC error don't need to be related always to pump. IF this is pump and problem is gone you still need to fix it, this is just temporary showing OK.

Whay I've seen in past possible problem to show DSC error and completly dissable this is :
- one tire low pressure
- bad alignment (guy who did alignment didn't fixed steering wheel in "0" position)
- for a while driving with strong side wind (you have always steering wheel in some angle higher than 2/360 when going straight.
- ... etc, anything what can confuse car about wheel speed vs steering wheel angle vs lateral sensor vs ...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #39
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allotherareused View Post
ABS/DSC error don't need to be related always to pump. IF this is pump and problem is gone you still need to fix it, this is just temporary showing OK.

Whay I've seen in past possible problem to show DSC error and completly dissable this is :
- one tire low pressure
- bad alignment (guy who did alignment didn't fixed steering wheel in "0" position)
- for a while driving with strong side wind (you have always steering wheel in some angle higher than 2/360 when going straight.
- ... etc, anything what can confuse car about wheel speed vs steering wheel angle vs lateral sensor vs ...
So the slow on my rear tyre could have been the cause? Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #40
allotherareused
Private
Rep

sorry but English is not my first language and I am not getting "slow on tyre", but basicly :

If one tyre diameter wasn't same as other tyre diameter after 10-20 KM you should get first flat tyre indicator followed by DSC dissabled, traction control dissabled, etc ...

If you didn't has flat tyre indicator problem is in some "other" sensor or DSC module. Said "other" sensor to exclude wheel speed sensors which are directly giving speed and match tyre pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #41
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allotherareused View Post
sorry but English is not my first language and I am not getting "slow on tyre", but basicly :

If one tyre diameter wasn't same as other tyre diameter after 10-20 KM you should get first flat tyre indicator followed by DSC dissabled, traction control dissabled, etc ...

If you didn't has flat tyre indicator problem is in some "other" sensor or DSC module. Said "other" sensor to exclude wheel speed sensors which are directly giving speed and match tyre pressure.
By a slow, I mean the tyre is slowly losing air. For example a rim leak. So the tyre goes down over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #42
allotherareused
Private
Rep

yes, this is reason, and as I said before : you should have flat tyre indicator first, then DSC/DTC dissabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #43
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

I went the Module Master route for my wife's 2007 328i. FedEx will be delivering the part today and I am going to work on it tonight.

As far as the bleeding process is concerned can anyone walk me through exactly what I need to do? I know how to bleed brakes but is cycling the pump necessary since I am just getting a repair and no coding is needed?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #44
allotherareused
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
I went the Module Master route for my wife's 2007 328i. FedEx will be delivering the part today and I am going to work on it tonight.

As far as the bleeding process is concerned can anyone walk me through exactly what I need to do? I know how to bleed brakes but is cycling the pump necessary since I am just getting a repair and no coding is needed?
If you change only hydraulic part you don't need to recode anything. If model is same this is 2 or 4 screw to separate electronic bloc and put back your original.

If you change all, you need to code it, to write vin, probably to initialize all sensor, lateral, steering wheel, possibly to change brake sensors because can't reset it and this show your brake pads are on 255% ... to much trouble.

As per bleeding my favorite (easy) way is :
when you assemble before tighten all 6 tube start slowly pressing pedal until one by one don't have air anymore (2 man job in 5 min done). At this point you are 90% done.

As fluid is recommended to be changed on 2 years, and you need to do all of it ... well, now just change fluid

As you in first step have bleed completely hydro unit and in fluid replacement you have bleed everything else ... you are done.

You also can use options and software to activate one by one wheel and pump but if you do properly my easy way probably don't need it. Do it if you have, I did it with DIS, don't know how to activate pump with inpa (this is possible).
Appreciate 0