E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The end to all Bluetooth Audio streaming threads

09-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #199
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Are you sure it dosen't work with android?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #200
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
Are you sure it dosen't work with android?
When I looked at their products it says next to them that it's made for iPod and iPhone. I'm sure it still works for android but the compatibility is probably not as good
      09-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #201
Zaxn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 520D F10

this is the best thread.
paying close attention to it to see if any updates come through as I dont really want to spend $1000 AUS on a combox retrofit and I use a Samsung S7.

The Bovee WMA3000b was the most promising as it gave steering wheel control (android phone) and bluetooth streaming. At the moment I've bought a $20 bluetooth adaptor that can be charged off usb and connects directly into the aux so i can't wait to test out its features.

I wish i could get tracks to display, I don't need album art but a track list that i can scroll through would be nice.

Wondering if anyone has tried Wirelinq https://gromaudio.com/wirelinq/
basically from what i can gather is it converts what you're streaming into a "usb thumb drive".

I got this response from Grom,
"Wirelinq is compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7
For the vehicle's stereo to be compatible, the USB port must be able to support Apple Ipod and Iphone with standard USB cable (one sold with phone). If a special cable is needed that is sold by BMW for a Ipod or Iphone to work in it then it will NOT be compatible with Wirelinq."

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #202
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010bmwe90

I love the firefly it has worked for me with no problems

Bmws without Bluetooth for music http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429326
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #203
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Firefly should be arriving today from Amazon for $35.
New Moto G5 Plus (64GB) gets activated today too so I'll test everything out and report back. Figure since I have a limited 1GB data plan I'll rarely stream off the web and just keep my 10GB of MP3s on the phone and stream like that.

I usually lay the phone length-wise in the open ash tray but it's hard to charge from there. I would like to mount the phone without having to glue or tape anything to the dash. Thinking about a CD-slotted magnetic holder so I can run a short usb cable from the ash tray cig lighter adapter, but wonder what everyone else uses. Recs?
      12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #204
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
After using the Firefly i am glad to say this is the best set up i have used so far.
  • No Lag
  • Instant Connection
  • Insane sound quality over Bluetooth AAC & APTX support !!!!
  • No boot up times
Thanks for this review OP!

I initially bought the ~$7 version of this product that Amazon offers, but sound quality was definitely lacking. Didn't feel like trying Firefly since I feared the same results at an even higher cost.

In my non-navi car, I can attest that the sound quality of Firefly is right there with the direct 3.5mm connection though! Since I don't have a USB port, I paired the Firefly with this flush cig charger and this setup works like a charm w/ my iPhone 8 Plus:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:24 AM   #205
Ballistic
Banned
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Everytime my phone connects to the Tunai, the volume on my phone is reduced to about 30% and i can't hear anything. I need to manually up the volume.

Is this a known problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #206
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Does anyone know if your telephone calls will still connect to the car's TCU and music only through the Firefly, or is it all through Firefly?

It'd be nice to retain the steering wheel controls for phone calls and use the car's mic instead of just routing all audio though the speakers and use the phone's mic for calls.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #207
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Guys just if anyone is interested in earstudio bluetooth. Its battery powered, has dual dacs, has aptxhd, can operate as a computer usb dac, has special android play store software to tweak the settings and much more. Price is $98 on Amazon i highly recommend!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #208
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Just got my grom wirelinq in the mail and using lgv30 It does work with the dashlinq software, but it doesnt display album art on 2018 430ci. It does play music but also cant fast forward or reverse from idrive only though left or right buttons on radio or tidal app. All features seem to work on kenwood radio in my other car wich is great as kenwood thinks i just installed an iphone. Hope this helps anyone

Last edited by Asonchadwick; 02-01-2018 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #209
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Does anyone know if your telephone calls will still connect to the car's TCU and music only through the Firefly, or is it all through Firefly?

It'd be nice to retain the steering wheel controls for phone calls and use the car's mic instead of just routing all audio though the speakers and use the phone's mic for calls.
Yes, the calls still go through the car, it transitions exceptionally well. I had Bluetooth connections to the phone, Firefly, and JB4 mobile all at the same time, everything worked great

Last edited by b92; 02-02-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6015.50
      04-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #210
mitsitsad
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

OK - I just received a Tune2Air WMA3000b not realizing it's for fcking apple only. It works ok, but for the $90 it runs I want it to display the song info on the idrive, so this is going back

I'm running Android, I'm rooted. Is there any way I can make it appear as iphone without this Wirelinq? Or is that cable the best method?

Any way to get steering wheel controls and display on idrive via bluetooth on Android??
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #211
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsitsad View Post
OK - I just received a Tune2Air WMA3000b not realizing it's for fcking apple only. It works ok, but for the $90 it runs I want it to display the song info on the idrive, so this is going back

I'm running Android, I'm rooted. Is there any way I can make it appear as iphone without this Wirelinq? Or is that cable the best method?

Any way to get steering wheel controls and display on idrive via bluetooth on Android??
Quote:

I still don't understand how there isn't a product that can read our androids and trick the system in thinking it's an iPhone... What software does iPhone run that makes our system work totally differently on idrive and non idrive cars?
I hate technology... (rant)
      04-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #212
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

there are different tune2air
for android may be wma2000b or wma1000 will be better
      04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #213
mitsitsad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
there are different tune2air
for android may be wma2000b or wma1000 will be better
Per Tune2Air's site

Q. I use Android phone, can it work with tune2air?
A. Tune2air can work with iPhone and most Android. But unlike iPhone, when working with Android phones, there will be no playlist displayed.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #214
mitsitsad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
I still don't understand how there isn't a product that can read our androids and trick the system in thinking it's an iPhone... What software does iPhone run that makes our system work totally differently on idrive and non idrive cars?
I hate technology... (rant)
UPDATE: got the Grom cable yesterday. Had to update the firmware on it (easy) but after it works with my android - idrive song display with Spotify, steering wheel controls, etc. skip tracks is a little finicky (skips to beginning of same song you were just playing - might take 3 "skips" to get to next track) but overall i am happy. Hopefully that gets resolved via a firmware update.

I think this is the best option so far if you want audio to display on your idrive and you own an Android. I got mine for $35 with an ebay coupon, but retail is $50
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #215
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: got the Grom cable yesterday. Had to update the firmware on it (easy) but after it works with my android - idrive song display with Spotify, steering wheel controls, etc. skip tracks is a little finicky (skips to beginning of same song you were just playing - might take 3 "skips" to get to next track) but overall i am happy. Hopefully that gets resolved via a firmware update.

I think this is the best option so far if you want audio to display on your idrive and you own an Android. I got mine for $35 with an ebay coupon, but retail is $50
The thing I don't like about the Grom cable is the fact that you still have to plug into a cable, and still then you're having finicky reactions to being able to skip tracks through the steering wheel.

Also, I don't have Idrive so I'm not certain the audio display would show up on my HU...
      04-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #216
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Similar boat here...

Anyone know what type of DAC comes out of the Tune2Air. I use it now for through the AUX. The USB takes care of the display info and allows 2 way communication to use the steering wheel to manage my songs, etc.

However, it does its own conversion to analog and then the actual music goes through the crappy AUX input.

I was thinking of a few scenarios to upgrade (I have the Base Stereo system): Run a Lc8i and take the 3.5mm jack and convert it to RCAs (not putting a whole lot of faith there) - RCAs would then go into the RCA AUX input on the LC8i. So I would get display info to the radio and steering wheel control, and have the LC8i pump out the corrected sum to an amp. Then JL 6ch amp to new speakers everywhere (the easy part).

or...

(not sure if this actually works this way) Recode the head unit to HiFi (676) and then switch harness to TechnicPNP 676 HiFi (https://technicpnp.com/product/hifi-harness/) which has RCA outs to a JL 600/6ch then to all new speakers.

or...

I know the Dynavin N7 is an easy option (heck even the Alpine 107 is a great option), but I'm still trying to explore keeping the stock deck for aesthetics. So I'd rather concentrated the discussion on the top two options.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #217
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Similar boat here...

Anyone know what type of DAC comes out of the Tune2Air. I use it now for through the AUX. The USB takes care of the display info and allows 2 way communication to use the steering wheel to manage my songs, etc.

However, it does its own conversion to analog and then the actual music goes through the crappy AUX input.

I was thinking of a few scenarios to upgrade (I have the Base Stereo system): Run a Lc8i and take the 3.5mm jack and convert it to RCAs (not putting a whole lot of faith there) - RCAs would then go into the RCA AUX input on the LC8i. So I would get display info to the radio and steering wheel control, and have the LC8i pump out the corrected sum to an amp. Then JL 6ch amp to new speakers everywhere (the easy part).

or...

(not sure if this actually works this way) Recode the head unit to HiFi (676) and then switch harness to TechnicPNP 676 HiFi (https://technicpnp.com/product/hifi-harness/) which has RCA outs to a JL 600/6ch then to all new speakers.

or...

I know the Dynavin N7 is an easy option (heck even the Alpine 107 is a great option), but I'm still trying to explore keeping the stock deck for aesthetics. So I'd rather concentrated the discussion on the top two options.
You have the base radio and your Tune2air still allows you to skip tracks through your steering wheel and you have display info? I imagine that you have an Iphone? Do you have a Mulf unit in the trunk or?
      04-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #218
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post

Incase you were still wondering yes it switches seamlessly.

My phone shows bluetooth connected for both. One for Media and one for Telephone. Telephone takes priority.

Works perfect for me. I just dislike that I cant just start playing from the deck/ controls or change songs. But thats AUX right.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6015.50
      04-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #219
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Incase you were still wondering yes it switches seamlessly.

My phone shows bluetooth connected for both. One for Media and one for Telephone. Telephone takes priority.

Works perfect for me. I just dislike that I cant just start playing from the deck/ controls or change songs. But thats AUX right.
Yup I've been using one for a few weeks now and I wish I'd have bought it sooner. I absolutely love it. great audio quality and seamless switching with phone calls as well.

And yeah there's no way to integrate steering wheel controls (except volume changes) for a source via Aux. Not a big deal for me as I mostly listen to long mixes/podcasts anyways.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #220
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
You have the base radio and your Tune2air still allows you to skip tracks through your steering wheel and you have display info? I imagine that you have an Iphone? Do you have a Mulf unit in the trunk or?
Yes, iPhone, and Tune2Air lets me use the steering wheel controls for up and down tracks and volume control (not related anyway). I don't have the MOST system (Base stereo)...I think what I have is called a TCU that's on the right side under the top side of the lift up panel where the used to be a spare in previous models (but 2010 they went with runflats).

But on to my questions about getting that better signal to the head unit or past it...my understanding is the AUX in is terrible compared to other inputs. So it works for now while I'm still stock BASE STEREO audio and crap to play it on, but looking to upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit.

Along with my previous post, also seen how some have used a version of mobridge in place of the "CD Changer" or SAT option, but not sure if there is actually an input for that in my 2011 LCI 328i base stereo (or if the connection is physically there and has to be coded in). Also wasn't sure if the MOST connection was required for those types of setups.
Appreciate 0