E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question about the n54 335i OEM Performance exhaust

08-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
W3stSaeid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT 2007 335i

Question about the n54 335i OEM Performance exhaust

I know it may be a dumb question but I'm just wondering, what makes the oem performance exhaust different from the stock n54 exhaust. Is the whole system different (i.e the midpipe and secondary cats) or is it only the muffler that is different from the stock? and how are the internals different form the stock?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

For E92, it's just the mufflers and lack of valve on the left side. For the most part, the difference internally is solid piping as opposed to the 335i having perforated piping. The PE still has batting around the piping and and the muffler housing to help with drone.

On the E90, it also replaces the resonators with the X-Pipe like the E92 s have.

A popular mod is to cut open the top of the mufflers, cut out the perforated piping, weld in solid and then weld the muffler tops back on, instead of spending a bunch of money on an actual PE.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
W3stSaeid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
For E92, it's just the mufflers and lack of valve on the left side. For the most part, the difference internally is solid piping as opposed to the 335i having perforated piping. The PE still has batting around the piping and and the muffler housing to help with drone.

On the E90, it also replaces the resonators with the X-Pipe like the E92 s have.

A popular mod is to cut open the top of the mufflers, cut out the perforated piping, weld in solid and then weld the muffler tops back on, instead of spending a bunch of money on an actual PE.
Thank you for your brief yet detailed reply, I just bought a PE and the guy gave me the entire system (catback) I do drive an E92 and was just curious to know if it's worth my time just replacing the entire catback or just removing and replacing the muffler with the new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

I forget if the PE is all welded, or if the mufflers clamp on. Either way, I feel like it would be easier to just replace the whole thing instead of cutting off your mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3stSaeid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post

Thank you for your brief yet detailed reply, I just bought a PE and the guy gave me the entire system (catback) I do drive an E92 and was just curious to know if it's worth my time just replacing the entire catback or just removing and replacing the muffler with the new one.
I'd say, as long as you have a couple of jacks, replacing the entire exhaust from the cats back should be easier then cutting off the mufflers & measuring things to ensure the mufflers & piping match up correctly.

However, having the mufflers attached via clamps makes accessing your differential & taking the rear subframe out a lot easier. - FYI....

Maybe PRIOR to install, cut the pipes on the PE exhaust where you want with a sawzall, that has a Diablo Carbon tipped, metal blade. Then just put clamps on it & install the entire PE exhaust. That would be a lot easier than measuring crap & potentially getting it wrong.

Make sure you buy gaskets for the mid-pipes.

The internal piping in the PE exhaust also is configured differently than the OEM mufflers as well.

It's not as simple as perforated vs solid piping inside. I'd also venture to say the insolation in the muffler is different too.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I'd say, as long as you have a couple of jacks, replacing the entire exhaust from the cats back should be easier then cutting off the mufflers & measuring things to ensure the mufflers & piping match up correctly.
The exhausts have little dimples on the inlet side of both mufflers and the pipe between them, so no measuring is involved to cut them both accurately.

Quote:
The internal piping in the PE exhaust also is configured differently than the OEM mufflers as well.

It's not as simple as perforated vs solid piping inside. I'd also venture to say the insolation in the muffler is different too.
That's why I said "for the most part". Anyone doing the PE mod or installing a PE exhaust is doing it for sound, and the perforated/solid piping is the biggest contributor to that difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Does anyone know if the 335is has the oem performance exhaust or is it just something slightly different compared to the 335i?
      08-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S58 View Post
Does anyone know if the 335is has the oem performance exhaust or is it just something slightly different compared to the 335i?
That's been debated for some time. There was once a pic of 335is exhaust that was opened up on-line. It was different than the OEM exhaust.

There are those who say, who have had both exhausts, claim the PE is louder. Even if they did the golf tee mod on the 335is exhaust, there are those that still say the PE exhaust is louder.

I have the 335is exhaust with the golf tee mod. It sounds almost exactly like the PE exhaust. I only paid $500.00 for my mufflers shipped.

To each his own
Appreciate 1
_N54299.50
      08-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
That's been debated for some time. There was once a pic of 335is exhaust that was opened up on-line. It was different than the OEM exhaust.

There are those who say they have had both exhausts and say the PE is louder. Even if they did the golf tee mod on the 335is exhaust, there are those that still say the PE exhaust is louder.

I have the 335is exhaust with the golf tee mod. Is sounds almost exactly like the PE exhaust. I only paid $500.00 for my mufflers shipped.

To each his own
I have my wire unplugged in the trunk. Stock down-pipes. It def is louder then a regular 335i. Once I get the down-pipes installed I will probably plug it back in to avoid some drone, but well see!