E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 Top Frozen! Helppppppppppp

05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #111
AMASIAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
Very good.

Reading his post I couldn't really understand what files he was talking about. I'm just curious to understand whether it was a faulty switch or the software was FUBAR'd and needed an "out-of-the-ordinary" input to make it work. As in, lying to the controller about what it needs to see to start moving.

If you'd let me know, I'd be very grateful. Just a professional deformation - I don't own E93. Thanks.
The car had some CTM codes. He cleared them and that was all it took to get it going again.

We didn't even get to resetting the CTM, just had to clear the codes...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #112
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMASIAN View Post
The car had some CTM codes. He cleared them and that was all it took to get it going again.

We didn't even get to resetting the CTM, just had to clear the codes...
Thanks. I was just curious to know how BMW does the automation process. I couldn't reset the codes for safety features that would hurt the human, but that is not the case with hardtop.

Glad you're good to go again.
      05-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #113
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
onebadmofo is a coding genius ! dealt with first hand

OP so your all fixed ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #114
Smoke4U
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 E93 Convertible

Note To Myself

don't care this is an old thread - putting note here for my reference b/c I remember this thread from years ago and can find it.

My 2008 335i E93 top got stuck today when opening it (SmartTop enabled). The top made it into the trunk but the trunk stopped going down after 10% movement. Hit center console button once again to close it and it closed fine.

Made it back from lunch pickup and attempted to put the top back up. The trunk opened 100% and I could see the top attempting to lift from the boot. I heard a low thump 1, 2, 3, 4 an possibly 5 times and looked back at the top to see it trying to lift during these thumps but not making it more than a fraction of an inch. I either hit the button again to stop it or it timed out and had the error flash on the dash (don't recall).

Tried opening/closing top using the button but no dice. Trunk wouldn't move and I didn't hear the thumping again. It was dead. Went inside and ate lunch. Came back out 20 minutes later after reading this thread and decided to clear the codes using my COBB tuner. Went to Troubleshooting --> Read Codes - there were two but looked like normal HPFP and injection codes I get from DILISI.

Cleared the codes and BAM! Trunk closed all the way like normal. Hit the up button and the top went up without any issues whatsoever. So thanks to this thread and reading about clearing the codes the top is working again.

Last edited by Smoke4U; 01-24-2017 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Appreciate 1
bimmette6452.50
      01-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #115
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I bet that almost 100% of the convertible top issues that people are having come from bunt relays at the pump motor/valve block. They are under a plastic cover under the trunk carpet. I had the two relays replaced by my dealer in 2013 because the top was randomly freezing every once in awhile. They are cheap parts and labor should not take any more than 15 minutes.
      01-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #116
mike sevel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i atlantic blue

Relay detail pls...

Are the relays you are referencing the two salmon colored ones or something different
Mikey
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #117
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

They are...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #118
jeff408
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke4U View Post
don't care this is an old thread - putting note here for my reference b/c I remember this thread from years ago and can find it.

My 2008 335i E93 top got stuck today when opening it (SmartTop enabled). The top made it into the trunk but the trunk stopped going down after 10% movement. Hit center console button once again to close it and it closed fine.

Made it back from lunch pickup and attempted to put the top back up. The trunk opened 100% and I could see the top attempting to lift from the boot. I heard a low thump 1, 2, 3, 4 an possibly 5 times and looked back at the top to see it trying to lift during these thumps but not making it more than a fraction of an inch. I either hit the button again to stop it or it timed out and had the error flash on the dash (don't recall).

Tried opening/closing top using the button but no dice. Trunk wouldn't move and I didn't hear the thumping again. It was dead. Went inside and ate lunch. Came back out 20 minutes later after reading this thread and decided to clear the codes using my COBB tuner. Went to Troubleshooting --> Read Codes - there were two but looked like normal HPFP and injection codes I get from DILISI.

Cleared the codes and BAM! Trunk closed all the way like normal. Hit the up button and the top went up without any issues whatsoever. So thanks to this thread and reading about clearing the codes the top is working again.
Thanks for sharing.
I need to get those salmon fuses for my car and leave in car just in case.
      01-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #119
Smoke4U
Private
Rep

Replaced those fuses back in November of 2015 so I don't think that's the issue here. Although now that you brought it up maybe I'll get another set just in case. If anyone hasn't replaced them yet do it immediately. It cost me $30-$40. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191723
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #120
Smoke4U
Private
Rep

Video Diagnostic Help Needed

So I lubed the joints up with HHS-K and it works better, but it still has problems getting out of the boot.

To verify it wasn't the salmon colored relays I ordered new ones and swapped them. Did not help. BTW the new ones are 32A and the old ones are 22A FYI.

If anyone can take a look at this thread where I have a video of the problem, then tell me if getting a new hydraulic unit was the fix please let me know.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21374536
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #121
NRich77
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325D E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke4U View Post

Hey, what's a COBB tuner? I'm having an issue where the front unlatches then the sequence stops. This coincidently happened right after the car got valeted.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #122
NRich77
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Hmmm

The car won't let you operate the roof if it's moving. You have no wheels. Car knows there's a problem with wheels since TPMS sensors are not in range. Do me a favor, try putting wheels back (don't have to mount), start the engine, shut it off and try to close the roof.

Do you have a laptop? I can overnight you a cable (you pay the shipping and deposit) and we can remotely reset the roof controller.
Hey, are you still offering this service? I have an issue where the front unlatches, then the sequence stops.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #123
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I see you just registered...this thread is from 2011. It's doubtful that user is still around...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:33 AM   #124
NRich77
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah, thats unfortunate. I'm trying to source the problem myself using INPA, but not confident.
Appreciate 0