E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower working, but no air coming from vents

05-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
dabeez85
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Blower working, but no air coming from vents

I have searched the forum, and have been unable to find anything that helps me pinpoint my issue. I have a 2011 335is coupe. I recently installed an AVIN 8.8 CIC replacement. Before this install my a/c and all climate control related items were working perfectly. We got the AVIN until fully installed, put everything back together, and now I’m encountering my issue. My blower is definitely working, the speed changes when I adjust it on the climate control panel, etc. There is just no air coming out of the vents. No defrost, floor, or front. The vent in the back of the center console is blowing air just fine, but even with a/c on, it is not blowing cold air. It seems like something is preventing the flaps from opening the way they should. We pulled the climate control panel back off to make sure we didn’t miss hooking something back up when doing the AVIN install, and everything was hooked up as it should be. I checked all fuses tied to the hvac system and they are all good. The cabin air filter is basically brand new. Any ideas to help track this down are greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

I assume from your description that the A/C Control Panel lights up and you are able to control motor speed, compressor valve (snowflake), etc., but NO flap activity occurs at all (no motor whir, flap clunk, or change in air delivery)?

If YOU took the dash apart yourself I hope you took photos of the various electrical connectors you disconnected, so you can at least identify them from the appropriate TIS "Installation Locations" or "Connector Views", such as those attached below as examples of what is available. Most likely explanation for blower motor responding to manually-selected speed changes, but NO air discharge from some vents, despite manual selection of footwell, facia or windscreen (left A/C Control Panel buttons) or Defrost top-right Control Panel button, is a disconnected LIN BUS connector which sends signals to the eight different Flap Motors to make the flaps open/close.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for Climate Control Functions:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/uZS1ONq

Look at the RIGHT side of the schematic and identify the 8 flap motors, Left-to-Right, beginning with 1) Defrost, then 2) Recirculation, through 8) Footwell. Note that the LIN BUS which begins with a Yellow wire from the IHKA Module (A11a) runs to each of the 8 Flap Motors IN SERIES, starting with the Defrost Flap, and ending with the Footwell Flap. So if your Defrost Flap does NOT work when the Defrost Manual Button on Upper-Right of A/C Control Panel is pressed, (no motor whir, flap clunk or air delivery) then it is VERY LIKELY that the Yellow wire is disconnected at either end, and that ONE bad connection causes lack of control of ANY of the motors downstream of the "disconnect."

If you have/have access to INPA or ISTA, it is simple to connect to the IHKA module and read Flap Positions (Status or Parameters) reading the signals from the flap feedback potentiometers. You can see the position of each flap (how much it is open/closed) and see if it moves when panel control buttons are pressed, or temp controls are changed (which should change Left & Right Mixing Flap positions).

If you don't have INPA or other BMW-specific software or scan tool, you can still test the system as suggested, beginning with Defrost Flap, and identify the FIRST flap in series, Defrost through Footwell, that does NOT work, and check the connector(s) immediately "upstream" from that flap motor, to see that it is properly connected.

You can click on ANY Component ID# in the schematic and get Location or View of the connector. As example, here is Installation Location & Connector View for Connector X01198 where the LIN BUS (Yellow wire) connects to the IHKA Module:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VncoXIdFH
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-cou/CTaZemQx

Here are the Installation Location & Connector View for Connector X4706 where the LIN BUS connects to the Defrost Flap Motor:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...is-cou/QyS2u2b
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-cou/CSqtc3aI

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
dabeez85
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I assume from your description that the A/C Control Panel lights up and you are able to control motor speed, compressor valve (snowflake), etc., but NO flap activity occurs at all (no motor whir, flap clunk, or change in air delivery)?

If YOU took the dash apart yourself I hope you took photos of the various electrical connectors you disconnected, so you can at least identify them from the appropriate TIS "Installation Locations" or "Connector Views", such as those attached below as examples of what is available. Most likely explanation for blower motor responding to manually-selected speed changes, but NO air discharge from some vents, despite manual selection of footwell, facia or windscreen (left A/C Control Panel buttons) or Defrost top-right Control Panel button, is a disconnected LIN BUS connector which sends signals to the eight different Flap Motors to make the flaps open/close.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for Climate Control Functions:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/uZS1ONq

Look at the RIGHT side of the schematic and identify the 8 flap motors, Left-to-Right, beginning with 1) Defrost, then 2) Recirculation, through 8) Footwell. Note that the LIN BUS which begins with a Yellow wire from the IHKA Module (A11a) runs to each of the 8 Flap Motors IN SERIES, starting with the Defrost Flap, and ending with the Footwell Flap. So if your Defrost Flap does NOT work when the Defrost Manual Button on Upper-Right of A/C Control Panel is pressed, (no motor whir, flap clunk or air delivery) then it is VERY LIKELY that the Yellow wire is disconnected at either end, and that ONE bad connection causes lack of control of ANY of the motors downstream of the "disconnect."

If you have/have access to INPA or ISTA, it is simple to connect to the IHKA module and read Flap Positions (Status or Parameters) reading the signals from the flap feedback potentiometers. You can see the position of each flap (how much it is open/closed) and see if it moves when panel control buttons are pressed, or temp controls are changed (which should change Left & Right Mixing Flap positions).

If you don't have INPA or other BMW-specific software or scan tool, you can still test the system as suggested, beginning with Defrost Flap, and identify the FIRST flap in series, Defrost through Footwell, that does NOT work, and check the connector(s) immediately "upstream" from that flap motor, to see that it is properly connected.

You can click on ANY Component ID# in the schematic and get Location or View of the connector. As example, here is Installation Location & Connector View for Connector X01198 where the LIN BUS (Yellow wire) connects to the IHKA Module:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VncoXIdFH
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-cou/CTaZemQx

Here are the Installation Location & Connector View for Connector X4706 where the LIN BUS connects to the Defrost Flap Motor:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...is-cou/QyS2u2b
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-cou/CSqtc3aI

Please let us know what you find,
George
Definitely appreciate the feedback on this. I will test this out when I get home. I don't have INPA or BMW software, so I'll go about it by checking each flap.

I'm wondering if something just didn't get plugged back in well after putting everything back together after the AVIN install. The only things that were unplugged were the 2-3 connections that allow the climate control piece to come off so we could get access to the factory radio.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the info, and I'll definitely report back with what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
Amitt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 | E92 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Saw your message on my account, we were having the same problem. I swapped out the climate control panel with a different one and it fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
JMilner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Having exactly the same issue as described here, although in my case I've replaced the CCC system on my 2008 E92 M3 with a unit from ADC. Symptoms are identical though - I've even tried completely uninstalling the android system and putting the CCC system back in and the climate control + AC immediately starts working again.

dabeez did you ever manage to find the solution to your problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 05:10 AM   #6
Pa-Beer's e90
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i e90

I am sure this post will be useful for e90 as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I had the same symptoms after swapping my Climate Control panel. Turned out I didn't seat one of the cables to the panel correctly. Reseating the cable fixed my issue.
Appreciate 0