E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Injector seals as preventative maintenance?

08-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Injector seals as preventative maintenance?

Maybe a silly question, but I replaced my injectors a couple of nights ago and a couple of hours later I was cleaning up and noticed the seals on my old injectors were still flat and haven't expanded at all. I then took the caps from the new injectors and slid them over the old injectors and seals with very little effort. It was actually easier to put them on the old than it was to take them off of the new.

Anyway, just wondering if there's been any reports of the seals failing and leaking compression just from age/mileage? Not talking about damaged seals from improper install or from removal/reinstall.

Mine were index 7, 2010, 62k miles and I assume original. Came out very easy using a cheap slide hammer/puller.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

If it ain’t broke.. the seals on the old injectors were expanded to the injector hole and over time and heat cycles do not expand any more. Nothing to worry about. Just remember to ALWAYS use a new seal if you pull an injector and reinstall for any reason and never rock the injector when pulling.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0