E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > 3M Crystalline window tint vs Formula One Pinnacle

08-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Thumbs up 3M Crystalline window tint vs Formula One Pinnacle

This is my personal car and I wanted to share the photos of the new Window Tint that was installed the other day. I’m beyond happy with the results. This is actually the 3rd type of film that has been installed on my car. First I had johnson greystone 40% and liked the “look” but it was a terrible film for performance. I then chose to upgrade to Formula One Pinnacle 30%. This was a nightmare because the tintshop that did the install during that time had actually damaged my rear window which left me with a bill of over 700 dollars to replace the glass! Eventually I got 30% Pinnacle on the vehicle. It was “ok” overall and performed fairly well. 3M Crystalline film is by far the highest performance tint on the market. I seriously noticed a huge difference in comfort in the interior due to its infrared blocking power of 97%. nearly no heat comes into my interior now. The A/C doesn’t need to be set at 68degrees anymore. When I get into my car after a hot day, the interior is actually comfortable! amazing difference even against formula one pinnacle 30%! almost double the heat rejection! The downside to crystalline is that the darkest shade is 40%. Fortunately for me, i love this shade!!! it’s actually rated for 39% light transmission and appears darker than it is. Crystalline film is a nano technology film that has 200 micro layers to make up the most advanced window film to date! Check it out!

CF splitters/rear diffuser/mirrors/fr strut brace | Mtech rear bmpr | Stoptech Rotors
| BMS spcrs | 3M Clear Bra Tim Connor (me) | Lux Angel Eyes | MTEC 6000k HID

Last edited by TimC; 02-02-2013 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: wanted to add one photo at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
balgopi
AC Milan Rossenari
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan

Car looks great mate. I'm usually in Lynnwood and my friends have mentioned how tinting there is affordable and good.I've been thinking of getting my e90 tinted.

Know how much it would cost for the same type of tint?

I'm also interested in getting my front windshield tinted, but JUST barely so it appears a bit darker.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balgopi View Post
Car looks great mate. I'm usually in Lynnwood and my friends have mentioned how tinting there is affordable and good.I've been thinking of getting my e90 tinted.

I'm also interested in getting my front windshield tinted, but JUST barely so it appears a bit darker.

Thanks
I will get an exact quote. But i'm telling you upfront that Crystalline is NOT CHEAP at all! more expensive than any film on the market by far!
I'm getting my windshield and sunroof done with crystalline 70% soon. I really don't care about cost after experiencing the benefits of this tint. It's amazing IMHO. Luckily i'm not a dark tint fan.

Call Andrey @ Skyline Tint and tell him Tim Connor Sent you. Ask for his special pricing on Crystalline Tint. Beware though, you may be shocked with price. I've never paid so much for tint in my life. But other shops are charging 700+ for crystalline , his prices are MUCH MUCH lower. Crystalline film is extremely difficult to install and required an elite tinter that knows what the hell he is doing. No joke, its a different animal than other tints. It doesn't shrink the same at all. So more labor. And film cost is double or triple the cost of most films.

The Pinnacle 30 (second tint job) cost me around 360 or something, can't remember. And not counting the 700 it cost me to replace the rear window that was damaged by the company who installed the tint.

Johnson Greystone 40%(first tint job) was around 200 bucks. but was very unhappy with the tint overall. It also seemed to fade as it was on my car for over a year and turned kind of blueish and lighter in shade.

BUT, if you're looking for excellent quality at a low low price, ask him about either 3M Color Stable (excellent performance, i believe better than Formula 1 pinnacle even) or FX Premium (even cheaper but good overall) He even carries Suntek films for ultra cheap prices. A full range of tint to suit your budget.

CF splitters/rear diffuser/mirrors/fr strut brace | Mtech rear bmpr | Stoptech Rotors

Last edited by TimC; 02-02-2013 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balgopi View Post

Thanks

I talked with Andrey "owner of Skyline Tint Shop" and discussed putting together a special rate for those who want Crystalline. The normal rate is $600 for Crystalline 40% with vinyl strip in back "e92". Same price for e90 "extra windows". anyways. He is offering $150.00 off, or $450.00 for e90post members. Sounds expensive, and if you compare other Crystalline dealers, its actually rediculously cheap! It's really that premium of a tint film!

He also is offering other lines of tint for MUCH MUCH cheaper, but call him about those rates. He has tint pricing from 200 or whatever suits your budget.

Last edited by TimC; 02-02-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Is this a ceramic tint?
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Is this a ceramic tint?
It's better. It's Crystalline. Actually has 200 layers thinner than a post it note. nanotechnology. Basically 200 layers of crystalline or "crystals". It rejects about 97% of infrared. or heat you feel inside the car. AMAZING IMHO.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
shinyside
Rep
Drives: e90

Any recommendations or deals on tinters in Portland?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyside View Post
Any recommendations or deals on tinters in Portland?
i don't know of anyone in particular in PDX.... but if they carry 3M Crystalline film then they probably are a good tint shop. Simply because its the most difficult film to work with. And most tint shops are either too cheap to carry it or not good enough to install it!

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Spiriteddriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Thumbs up Thank you for your review Tim!

Although this thread has been a while ago and that as a new member I can't send a PM yet, I would like to thank you Tim for the great and enlightening experience with the two comparative tint films. Your praise for Skyline Tint Shop in Lynnwood,WA is remarkably accurate and helpful such that I went there this week to have my tint done there with Andrey who is a very awesome and easy going guy to deal with. Will post back when my tint cures but looks great so far.
Appreciate 0