E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Seat belt extender disabled - How to enable?

03-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #45
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If F6 Activations/Steuern will move either/both, then the FRM OUPUT side of the circuit is OK, and the INPUT or Trigger side of the system is the issue?? The INPUT side could be diagnosed using: FRM > F5, Status > F7, Gurtbringer.
I have tried to read FRM status of seat belt extender and to activate it from there, but it does not do anything status stays the same. If I remove seat belt extender controller, FRM throws errors on reading status. So they are communicating and FRM seems to be not concerned that seat belt extenders do not extend. So I would assume maybe seat belt extender controller is defective? still not convinced that both seat belt extender controllers would go bad and they would respond to FRM but not activate motors. I guess I need to get new seat belt extender controller and see if that fixes the issue, but if not? what then?
Would be nice to be able to return the controller...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I asked a good friend who owns E92 to make readings of his seat belt extenders, although he has a bit older E92 and FRM1 (I have FRM2), but I hope that does not make this readings invalid.

My car seat belt extender status:

His car seat belt extender status:

His car seat belt extender status (after activation from INPA to extend; my do not work):

So for some reason my reading starts at zero when his starts at 1 and also a black bar is visible on his but not on my readinds. Also my max values (65000/80000) are quite bigger then his (180/200).
Does this comparison can confirm what could be wrong? FRM or seat belt extender controller or position sensors?
Does it mean that my seat belt extender controllers are bad and that's why they reports such strange values (0/65000/80000)?
Or could this mean that my FRM2 is bad and it shows such values?
Or could this be normal and the different values are because he has FRM1 and I have FRM2?
I am thinking to buy seat belt extender controller and see will it work... or is there anything else I could check before throwing money?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #47
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update:
I have changed seat belt extender unit and seat belt extender started to work!

I guess relay which is inside the module has failed. Interestingly that happened for both sides. I changed them both and it works on both sides now!

Now I can "enjoy" seat belt extender which most times misses the seat belt, but it looks "luxurious".

P.S. Coded out driver side, I will let passenger deal with it.
Appreciate 1
mashimarho2106.00
      01-20-2023, 02:30 PM   #48
Leegbr
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 320d

I know this thread is two years old but hoping anyone can point me in the right direction.

My belt handovers aren’t working.

I’ve used inpa and it will not do anything when I try to initialise extend or retract the belt handovers. I was getting errors when trying to read their positions.

So I checked my coding and the 4 options relating to the belt handovers are active.

Now this is where I’ve noticed something. I used tool32 to try and do well anything really with all those options relating to gertbringer and I get ;

error ecu general reject

I had quite a few errors that I cleared using my foxwell scanner last week 7 of which related to the FRM including short circuit, LIN and the seat belt handovers being disturbed. I’ve cleared the errors but the left and right seat belt handovers still say disturbed, INPA also confirms an error with them.

So with that being said is it reasonable to assume that both seat belt handover controllers have died?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 02:57 PM   #49
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegbr View Post
I know this thread is two years old but hoping anyone can point me in the right direction.

My belt handovers aren’t working.

I’ve used inpa and it will not do anything when I try to initialise extend or retract the belt handovers. I was getting errors when trying to read their positions.

So I checked my coding and the 4 options relating to the belt handovers are active.

Now this is where I’ve noticed something. I used tool32 to try and do well anything really with all those options relating to gertbringer and I get ;

error ecu general reject

I had quite a few errors that I cleared using my foxwell scanner last week 7 of which related to the FRM including short circuit, LIN and the seat belt handovers being disturbed. I’ve cleared the errors but the left and right seat belt handovers still say disturbed, INPA also confirms an error with them.

So with that being said is it reasonable to assume that both seat belt handover controllers have died?
Not sure about your case, but in my case I did not have any errors, both "gurtbringer" modules just did not do anything. And it was indeed both modules dead for some unknown reason from previous owner, not sure what he did with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 07:00 AM   #50
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
Not sure about your case, but in my case I did not have any errors, both "gurtbringer" modules just did not do anything. And it was indeed both modules dead for some unknown reason from previous owner, not sure what he did with them.
Thanks, I’m hoping that if it cannot communicate with the handovers it’s the controllers as they’re only about £10 each on ebay. IIRC your issue was the relays in the controllers so maybe the back end of the controller so to speak. Hopefully mines the front end but still the controller. The rest of the LIN bus related stuff is working.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #51
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I’m hoping that if it cannot communicate with the handovers it’s the controllers as they’re only about £10 each on ebay. IIRC your issue was the relays in the controllers so maybe the back end of the controller so to speak. Hopefully mines the front end but still the controller. The rest of the LIN bus related stuff is working.
Swapped over both controllers and still not working, same error message when I read codes.

Starting to see some other codes firing relating to CAS. have an issue with DSC and TPMS which I suspect is a wheel sensor but reading wheel speed values they seem fine.

Might be time for the old girl to get traded in.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 10:39 AM   #52
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Just logging this in case anyone else ends up in the same position

Motors tested with a 9v battery and working fine. Wondering now whether it’s the hall sensors that have blown or I bought two faulty controllers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 11:40 AM   #53
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just logging this in case anyone else ends up in the same position

Motors tested with a 9v battery and working fine. Wondering now whether it’s the hall sensors that have blown or I bought two faulty controllers.
You should try fixing one side at a time.
I think FRM talks with Controllers via one wire LIN BUS, maybe that wire is cut?
Otherwise I guess its FRM or hall sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 04:39 PM   #54
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
You should try fixing one side at a time.
I think FRM talks with Controllers via one wire LIN BUS, maybe that wire is cut?
Otherwise I guess its FRM or hall sensor issue.
Sorry for the late replay, I’m going to have a look this weekend. Where do you think is best to look for LIN bus wire damage? Just wondering if I’ve nipped a wire while having the back seat side panels off while sorting speakers etc out. Is is possible that the drivers window control master switch could be the issue? Or maybe the wiring between the frm to the a pillar connector?

The dec, tpms and braking system errors were because of corrosion on the rear right reluctor ring which I’ve sorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 05:29 PM   #55
Leegbr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the late replay, I’m going to have a look this weekend. Where do you think is best to look for LIN bus wire damage? Just wondering if I’ve nipped a wire while having the back seat side panels off while sorting speakers etc out. Is is possible that the drivers window control master switch could be the issue? Or maybe the wiring between the frm to the a pillar connector?

The dec, tpms and braking system errors were because of corrosion on the rear right reluctor ring which I’ve sorted.
With my mirrors working other than getting an error about mirror heating not working, I’m wondering if it’s my driver door switch cluster. Maybe water ingress, as although my mirrors work they often go out of position.

Found this page which shows lin bus from seat belt handovers go to the driver door switch cluster. https://www.mri-auto-diagnostics.com...fault-bmw-e90/
Appreciate 0