E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Water meth injection

11-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #45
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I'm sure most people running meth have removed/gutted the DPF.
That's likely correct. I did run it for ~1.5 years with full emissions equipment, but was careful to not utilize it during DPF regens.... Hated those regens...
      11-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #46
only9balls
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
That's likely correct. I did run it for ~1.5 years with full emissions equipment, but was careful to not utilize it during DPF regens.... Hated those regens...
Is there a way to tell when the car is doing a regen, without using any external apps/tools?
      11-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #47
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by only9balls
Quote:
Is there a way to tell when the car is doing a regen, without using any external apps/tools?
Only way is feeling the increased heat in the cabin as you drive, reduced performance and actually hearing it if you're idling or turned off the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #48
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by only9balls
Quote:
Only way is feeling the increased heat in the cabin as you drive, reduced performance and actually hearing it if you're idling or turned off the car.
You can also monitor your EGT. I'm sure there are other ways to infer this as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #49
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by only9balls View Post
Without apps/gauges it's a little more difficult. But if you get to know your instantaneous fuel gauge behavior you can observe significantly reduced mpg's for a given driving condition as the engine dumps fuel into the post injection events to heat the DPF. For example, on a flat steady state 70 mph highway your normal predicted mpg might be 40 on the gauge, but during DPF regens that needle will drop at times to ~30 and do a some fluttering back up to 40 and then down to ~30 as post injection is being utilized off and on. This behavior is significantly more difficult to observe if you're in traffic and doing a lot of accelerating/braking.
      11-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #50
only9balls
Rep

Quote:
Without apps/gauges it's a little more difficult. But if you get to know your instantaneous fuel gauge behavior you can observe significantly reduced mpg's for a given driving condition as the engine dumps fuel into the post injection events to heat the DPF. For example, on a flat steady state 70 mph highway your normal predicted mpg might be 40 on the gauge, but during DPF regens that needle will drop at times to ~30 and do a some fluttering back up to 40 and then down to ~30 as post injection is being utilized off and on. This behavior is significantly more difficult to observe if you're in traffic and doing a lot of accelerating/braking.
Excellent, thank you.
      08-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #51
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Just hand waving here but it would seem to me the water/meth mixture would be super heated vapor by the time it made it to the DPF after combustion. Perhaps acting a little like a steam cleaner to the exhaust tract downstream of the exhaust valves.

Was the earlier person making a point that LIQUID water would harm the DPF versus evaporated water? Meth/water inject would have to be strictly vapor going through the DPF. Temps in DPF have to be appreciably above 100°C. I'm not even certain that the water isn't disassociated into other compounds from combustion level temperatures.

Like i say, just hand wavin here.
yeah I dont know what the theory is. All I know is that A LOT of people report success power washing their DPF when it gets clogged, and a bunch of people here and on other diesel forums run meth with a DPF and I cant think of any reported issues. When power washing the DPF, there is a lot of emphasis put on making sure you get it really well dried out, so maybe the issue comes up when you have a water logged DPF that is starting out cold and warming up slowly. I can imagine that could be an issue.
Based on a couple more years of accumulated water/meth experience is there any problem keeping the system on all the time or, more specifically, will the water/meth system screw up regens?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #52
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I'm sure most people running meth have removed/gutted the DPF.
TDI I am about to hook up a water/meth kit. Per my message to Hooper is it a problem to run a water meth kit with my DPF still intact? Does water/meth mess with regens?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #53
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
TDI I am about to hook up a water/meth kit. Per my message to Hooper is it a problem to run a water meth kit with my DPF still intact? Does water/meth mess with regens?
Well, with the way my system is setup, it didn't. Do you have gauges (like Torque Pro?) that can show EGT's? If so, you'll be able to know when a regen is taking place. Is your system setup so you can avoid spraying if you know there's a regen taking place? For instance, if you're using a boost triggered system, can you set your lowest boost trigger so it doesn't cross that threshold in normal driving conditions, and then drive "normal" during a regen?

If you can't do this, then that may be an issue. Water will definitely lower EGT's, so that may affect the DDE's ability to control the reguired post injection events to keep the DPF in the temp range required for regens to be completed. But, I have no first hand experience with this.
      08-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #54
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Based on a couple more years of accumulated water/meth experience is there any problem keeping the system on all the time or, more specifically, will the water/meth system screw up regens?
No problems here at this point. No reduced mileage or any other symptoms that would suggest a DPF that is getting clogged, and the DPF is at 115k miles so if it was going to show some reduced life it should do that by now. If your driving conditions put you on hills consistently during a regen I can imagine that could be a problem. My normal drive is relatively hilly but just flat enough that I don't spray much or any w/m during a normal commute.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #55
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
Well, with the way my system is setup, it didn't. Do you have gauges (like Torque Pro?) that can show EGT's? If so, you'll be able to know when a regen is taking place. Is your system setup so you can avoid spraying if you know there's a regen taking place? For instance, if you're using a boost triggered system, can you set your lowest boost trigger so it doesn't cross that threshold in normal driving conditions, and then drive "normal" during a regen?

If you can't do this, then that may be an issue. Water will definitely lower EGT's, so that may affect the DDE's ability to control the reguired post injection events to keep the DPF in the temp range required for regens to be completed. But, I have no first hand experience with this.
I think that's a sensible solution, I.e., crank up the injection boost point (say, 22psi) when a regen starts so that I am unlikely to inject during the regen.

I don't know if I am unique on this front, but if Carly tells me a regen is underway I will, if I am not already on one, find a freeway and keep driving until the regen completes. I know this is kind of obsessive behavior but I have to think interrupting the regens is bad for the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #56
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
I know this is kind of obsessive behavior but I have to think interrupting the regens is bad for the car.
Well, it won't hurt, but regen interruption is part of the program in the DDE.
Appreciate 0