E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cracked Wheel?

08-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Cracked Wheel?

This one surprised me.... The RF wheel on my '07 335i started leaking, losing almost 20 PSI overnight. I expected to find a nail in the tire, but turns out the tire is just fine. The wheel has a big-a$$ radial crack - about 1" long, right through the inner bead "lip". There is absolutely NO sign of an impact on the tire or wheel, and I sure don't recall hitting so much as a small pothole the last time I drove it.

Is this type of failure more common than I think? I would expect a crack like that to require a significant hit, which would leave a mark at least on the wheel. But, even the paint in that area is completely free of any damage. If it's a material defect, it would amaze me that it took 12 years, and 110K miles to manifest.

On a related note, I cannot believe the ridiculous different number of wheel styles for that year! Did every single '07 335i come with its own unique wheels?? There are DOZENS of different styles!

Regards,
Ray L.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Very common.

I had my style 157s replaced/repaired a couple times each before I finally gave up and bought aftermarket wheels. I was sick of getting stranded.
      08-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Luna118
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Very common.

I had my style 157s replaced/repaired a couple times each before I finally gave up and bought aftermarket wheels. I was sick of getting stranded.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
This one surprised me.... The RF wheel on my '07 335i started leaking, losing almost 20 PSI overnight. I expected to find a nail in the tire, but turns out the tire is just fine. The wheel has a big-a$$ radial crack - about 1" long, right through the inner bead "lip". There is absolutely NO sign of an impact on the tire or wheel, and I sure don't recall hitting so much as a small pothole the last time I drove it.

Is this type of failure more common than I think? I would expect a crack like that to require a significant hit, which would leave a mark at least on the wheel. But, even the paint in that area is completely free of any damage. If it's a material defect, it would amaze me that it took 12 years, and 110K miles to manifest.

On a related note, I cannot believe the ridiculous different number of wheel styles for that year! Did every single '07 335i come with its own unique wheels?? There are DOZENS of different styles!

Regards,
Ray L.
OEM BMW wheels bend and crack easily.

Germans are option whores, If you want it you want it you can pay for it. Each chassis probably has 100 different wheels that you could special order for it.
Appreciate 0