E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > How loud does a cat less down pipe make your interior?

03-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #23
fortywater
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Just got a VRSF Catless DP on my 2011 N55 yesterday. No smell with windows up or down when driving. Only time I smell something is when idling at a stoplight with the windows down or if I am standing outside behind the car with it idling, and even then, its very slight. If your passenger doesn't know about cars, they wouldn't know.

As for sound, windows up, it sounds completely normal (still have stock mufflers). Maybe a slightly deeper tone.

Sport mode (valve open), car sounds super mean and throaty on WOT pulls. You can hear the turbo spool much better, and pops and bangs on downshifts are about twice as loud over stock (I had PPK, so I am running no burbles with MHD and using the "stock" burbles from PPK).

Cold starts are decently loud for 5-10 seconds, so if you have neighbors who will complain, maybe flash the quiet cold start feature on MHD.

All in all, I think catless with stock mufflers is a very nice OEM+ option. If you want it to be aggressive and sporty, its there. If you want to be quiet, just drive it like a normal person and no one would know.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #24
E92only
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE90 View Post
I'm kind of debating switching my exhaust set up though, I'm used to the average smell of catless dp and I'm wondering if I were to put my mufflers back on and take out my secondaries with straight pipe if there would be a huge increase in smell. I don't really care about the sound difference but I'd assume it would be a little bit quieter too?
I've got a e92 n55 with no cats and a PE mod. My idle rpm is set to 850 and the fumes are definitely there. That being said, the exhaust flap works and the car sounds perfect. It's quiet when I need it to be and awesome when I step on it. Rev matching sounds very satisfying when done perfectly.

2020 Porsche Macan S PASM
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #25
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
I really am tempted to install a cat less down pipe on my n55 e90, but can't tell from the videos how loud and obnoxious does it make the interior noise?

I'm getting my fmic and going mhd s2 and would love to be FBO... but worried about that noise- is still be running stock catback
I had the exact same concerns; wanted the performance, but not the extra sound or smell. Decided to take the plunge, getting my vrsf catless downpipe installed today. I'll report back my thoughts after driving it for a bit once it's on. 2015 X1 35i, m-sport with stock exhaust, so I'll still have the secondary cat. Or cats? When looking at the exhaust I'm not sure if it's 2 resonators and 1 secondary, or two secondaries and 1 resonator???
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #26
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I had the exact same concerns; wanted the performance, but not the extra sound or smell. Decided to take the plunge, getting my vrsf catless downpipe installed today. I'll report back my thoughts after driving it for a bit once it's on. 2015 X1 35i, m-sport with stock exhaust, so I'll still have the secondary cat. Or cats? When looking at the exhaust I'm not sure if it's 2 resonators and 1 secondary, or two secondaries and 1 resonator???
Got my catless downpipe installed on Friday. As far as sound, it is significantly louder during the cold start warm-up, but once it warms up I can't tell a difference from stock when idling. During accelerating it is louder, and I notice some drone cruising around 80mph. I didn't want a louder car, but I have to admit it sounds pretty bad ass when you punch it. Also, with xHP downshifts when decelerating in sport mode, it's a super quick and aggressive sounding brap that sounds pretty awesome - again surprising to me since I didn't want a louder car. But I don't think it's obnoxious sounding like I was worried it might be.

As for odor, I don't smell anything driving, but at some longer stop lights it starts to stink. I've smelled it atleast once everytime I've driven it so far. The smell bugs me, but...

The performance? I'm impressed. Before the downpipe I could run a 5.15 sec. 0-60 (via dragy) with MHD stage 1 plus, xHP stage 2, wagner intercooler & charge pipe. Now with the downpipe and no other changes (same tank of gas even), I just put down a 4.84 0-60. It feels more noticable to me than it was going from stock to MHD stage 1 plus.

Last edited by wheela; 03-29-2021 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Typed wrong word
Appreciate 1
Herakles247.50
      04-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #27
harlen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 435i

I'm getting one insalled next week in an N55 and will let you know. Am a bit concerned about the smell, but have ridden liter+ bikes and am hoping it won't be as bad as that. It is convertible though, so that might be fun!
Appreciate 1
Herakles247.50
      04-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #28
FireBlaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

I have an E92 N55 catless DP (no secondary cat) and PE Mod and it sounds good but a little too raspy for me. I installed Vibrant 1792 resonators and it cleaned up the sound nicely. Still sounds like a diesel but it's much better.

I only notice the smell if my window is open AND and the wind is blowing in the right direction. I wouldn't notice the smell if I didn't know it was catless.
      04-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #29
maxihari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport 6spd

35.7%