E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

03-31-2021, 10:01 PM   #3279
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I have a 2er that has the worst audio I have ever heard in my life (Shame on you BMW for such a pile of trash). Anyone here have any recommendations for a place I can take my car for an audio gutting/replacement?
A quick search of Car Audio places show quite a few very well rated 4.6-5 stars....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #3280
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
A quick search of Car Audio places show quite a few very well rated 4.6-5 stars....
I tried a couple of places. Replacing the BMW audio system isnt trivial. I'm sure there is one out there. I'm hoping to bump into a guru here in the Montreal area that is in the know.
      04-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #3281
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I tried a couple of places. Replacing the BMW audio system isnt trivial. I'm sure there is one out there. I'm hoping to bump into a guru here in the Montreal area that is in the know.
Our tech guru is Glen of course....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #3282
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was kinda hoping he would chime in. Now I have to do some real work.
      04-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #3283
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I was wondering ... Did you get your 2er replacement?
      04-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #3284
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I was wondering ... Did you get your 2er replacement?
Yup!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #3285
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Weird. The thread hasn't pinged me, and I was wondering why nobody's posted here in a while. But apparently I was the one not paying attention

I've been busy keeping up maintenance and mods on an array of oddball vehicles... between a JDM minivan, my trusty Mini Cooper and another weird minivan that officially never existed but someone thought would make sense to stuff a V8 into, I'm up to my ears in mods, oil changes and buying lottery tickets so I can afford the inevitable grenading when it happens.

Anyone up for lunch or something? We could do Cosmo like we used to!

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 09-14-2021 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #3286
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
lol I totally missed this. Should've pinged me on Whatsapp, I'd have actually replied

jgalaxy No idea if the question is still current, but it would depend on what's the built-in stereo system - whether it's fiber or not, and what the speaker setup looks like. The easiest thing to do would be to just upgrade the speakers with something more decent, and that's a (relatively) easy job - pull the front door panels and replace the speakers. The rear is likely to be a disaster, since I'd guess it's as much of a retarded design as the Mini Cooper is - I'm still "planning" on upgrading the rear speakers, but literally the ENTIRE interior has to come out because you can't "just" remove the rear panels. Seats, everything. It's stupid.

Depending on the music you listen to, I'd say you should do the front door speakers and see if that improves your life. Then if it's no better, pull the interior and do the rear speakers. And if that's no good either (and the interior is out anyway at that point), then might as well throw an amp in and do proper sound setup; throw a subwoofer in there as well. Though please, for the love of God, if you do that, do it "properly" and don't just throw one in the trunk like I did in my Subaru a millennium ago - do something nicely molded/integrated. You'll appreciate it more.
      09-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #3287
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Weird. The thread hasn't pinged me, and I was wondering why nobody's posted here in a while. But apparently I was the one not paying attention

I've been busy keeping up maintenance and mods on an array of oddball vehicles... between a JDM minivan, my trusty Mini Cooper and another weird minivan that officially never existed but someone thought would make sense to stuff a V8 into, I'm up to my ears in mods, oil changes and buying lottery tickets so I can afford the inevitable grenading when it happens.

Anyone up for lunch or something? We could do Cosmo like we used to!
I'm up for a meet next week-end or the one after that. After that I'm gonzo for a few week-ends for deer.
      09-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #3288
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
I'm up for a meet next week-end or the one after that. After that I'm gonzo for a few week-ends for deer.
This Saturday I’m in the West Island doing nothing cuz my kid has a birthday to go to. Late lunch?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #3289
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
lol I totally missed this. Should've pinged me on Whatsapp, I'd have actually replied

jgalaxy No idea if the question is still current, but it would depend on what's the built-in stereo system - whether it's fiber or not, and what the speaker setup looks like. The easiest thing to do would be to just upgrade the speakers with something more decent, and that's a (relatively) easy job - pull the front door panels and replace the speakers. The rear is likely to be a disaster, since I'd guess it's as much of a retarded design as the Mini Cooper is - I'm still "planning" on upgrading the rear speakers, but literally the ENTIRE interior has to come out because you can't "just" remove the rear panels. Seats, everything. It's stupid.

Depending on the music you listen to, I'd say you should do the front door speakers and see if that improves your life. Then if it's no better, pull the interior and do the rear speakers. And if that's no good either (and the interior is out anyway at that point), then might as well throw an amp in and do proper sound setup; throw a subwoofer in there as well. Though please, for the love of God, if you do that, do it "properly" and don't just throw one in the trunk like I did in my Subaru a millennium ago - do something nicely molded/integrated. You'll appreciate it more.
My music taste is varied but mostly rock, grunge, downtempo, ambient, reggae ... mostly melodic noise

There's a few threads on how bad the 2er audio system is and things that (kinda) can be done to help fix it. I think I have the bottom of the rung BMW audio system. I'm not too keen on any hit and miss Internet options. I was hoping to find a pro here in Montreal and bite the bullet and get it done properly. Front/rear, subs, AMP, DSP and proper tuning.

I just have no idea who does this sh*t here in Montreal. Know of any shops?
      09-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #3290
nvez
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 GLE63s

Quote:
This Saturday I’m in the West Island doing nothing cuz my kid has a birthday to go to. Late lunch?
i'm down (though i have steered so far away from the bmw club), i pinged ken on fb too. my weekends pretty open.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #3291
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvez View Post
i'm down (though i have steered so far away from the bmw club), i pinged ken on fb too. my weekends pretty open.
Texted Ken and jgalaxy. Ken's not available Saturday, and I can't make it Sunday

I recommend we set a place and whoever can come, should.

Looks like Cosmo on Bruswick is closed, though, it's now a Scores. Should we meet there?
      09-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #3292
nvez
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 GLE63s

Quote:
Texted Ken and jgalaxy. Ken's not available Saturday, and I can't make it Sunday

I recommend we set a place and whoever can come, should.

Looks like Cosmo on Bruswick is closed, though, it's now a Scores. Should we meet there?
i'm fine with anything
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #3293
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvez View Post
i'm fine with anything
Ok. Scores @ 14:30 (985 Boul Saint-Jean) then!

[edit] Got some requests to reschedule. Let’s plan it more than 24 hours ahead, I think we can actually get some attendance here.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 09-17-2021 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:14 AM   #3294
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

So guys … any interest in a lunch? Looks like I’m leaving for browner pastures again so it would be good to see at least some of y’all. A weekend in the next two weeks? I’m assuming nvez is still good, anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #3295
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Well nobody replied, so I decided to sulk and leave again

Just kidding. Ended up moving again, guess the snow wasn't working out for me.

On the upside, I'm back in the Bavarian club, done with Stuttgart for now!!
Attached Images

04-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #3296
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well nobody replied, so I decided to sulk and leave again

Just kidding. Ended up moving again, guess the snow wasn't working out for me.

On the upside, I'm back in the Bavarian club, done with Stuttgart for now!!
Hey there! Nice ride. What did you end up trading from? And where did you end up moving to?
      04-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #3297
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Hey there! Nice ride. What did you end up trading from? And where did you end up moving to?
Hehe here’s a better pic with a dead giveaway on where I am.

[edit] never mind, can’t tell the plate. It’s Qatar.

And I sold my R63, which I’m still not entirely sure I did the right thing by selling … that was definitely a one-in-a-million car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 04-16-2022 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #3298
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hehe here’s a better pic with a dead giveaway on where I am.

[edit] never mind, can’t tell the plate. It’s Qatar.

And I sold my R63, which I’m still not entirely sure I did the right thing by selling … that was definitely a one-in-a-million car.
R63? I have never seen one in the flesh before. That makes for one quick soccer mom transporter. That was a 6.2L, right?

Qatar? You stuck there for long?
I spent more time than I cared for in the mid 90s. We were encouraged to attend examples of state enforced public disciplinary actions. Not my favourite way to spend a Saturday.
      04-27-2022, 01:27 AM   #3299
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
R63? I have never seen one in the flesh before. That makes for one quick soccer mom transporter. That was a 6.2L, right?

Qatar? You stuck there for long?
I spent more time than I cared for in the mid 90s. We were encouraged to attend examples of state enforced public disciplinary actions. Not my favourite way to spend a Saturday.
Yep, it was a pretty awesome car. One of three in Canada (I brought it from Texas, though) and in a twist that would resonate well with some here,
the story of it was pretty special - it was the one that had its engine rebuilt entirely by the guy who refused to pay Mercedes $57K to do the job. He’s also the guy that single handedly tanked all x63 values when he posted the whole story publicly, because the head bolts of the M156 engine suddenly went out of the shadows where Mercedes was keeping them as they covered SOME under warranty to a more “yeah this is kind of a problem” - so now everyone selling one mentions headbolts.

Not sure how long I’m here for yet. You had to witness public punishments in Qatar in the 1990s?! That’s crazy. The place is wildly different now. Mind you, there was absolutely nothing here back then except the Sheraton and the City Center mall. These days you can even SORT OF buy alcohol…
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #3300
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yep, it was a pretty awesome car. One of three in Canada (I brought it from Texas, though) and in a twist that would resonate well with some here,
the story of it was pretty special - it was the one that had its engine rebuilt entirely by the guy who refused to pay Mercedes $57K to do the job. He’s also the guy that single handedly tanked all x63 values when he posted the whole story publicly, because the head bolts of the M156 engine suddenly went out of the shadows where Mercedes was keeping them as they covered SOME under warranty to a more “yeah this is kind of a problem” - so now everyone selling one mentions headbolts.

Not sure how long I’m here for yet. You had to witness public punishments in Qatar in the 1990s?! That’s crazy. The place is wildly different now. Mind you, there was absolutely nothing here back then except the Sheraton and the City Center mall. These days you can even SORT OF buy alcohol…
So faulty head bolts ... Thats a bitch. So sad how a couple of hundred bucks for the proper bolts could have eliminated so many headaches.

I got a chance to travel much of the region in early-mid '91 and then in '95-98. We were always herded and kept in our compounds or allowed out and about with designated gov't handlers during that time - for our safety, of course .