E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Yet another insurance rant

06-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #23
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...y-lawyers.html

AXA has become the first insurance company operating in the UK to refuse so-called "acceptance fees" from personal injury lawyers in a move to help eliminate fraud across the industry.

The company said it taken the decision to combat the UK's growing "compensation culture", which has increased the cost of motor insurance policies.
In a statement, Axa said it had "never sold customer details to personal injury lawyers or accident management companies" and would "no longer accept fees from personal injury lawyers when we put our customers in contact with them to pursue valid claims notified at the time of an accident".

Paul Evans, chief executive of AXA UK, said: "It is unfair and unsustainable that drivers are being disadvantaged by exaggerated injury claims which drive up the cost of insurance. I believe this move will be a positive first step in making the system more equitable and ultimately, benefit customers through more affordable motor premiums".

The move come after Jack Straw, the former justice secretary, blamed motor insurance companies for pushing up the cost of premiums. The Labour MP for Blackburn said the cost of personal injury claims had doubled to £14 bin in 10 years.

Mr Straw called for referral fees, which can range from £200 to £1,000 per case, to be banned. He added that motorists who suffer whiplash in an accident should be required to provide proof of serious injury.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Oh dear, this thread has got me soooooo wound up, I've just sent an absolutely SAVAGE e-mail to my bodyshop over my car.

Eeck.

Maybe not wise before my car is sorted but had to get things off my chest.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #25
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I've just re-read your posts regarding your scrape. Would you care to share the gist of your email to the bodyshop? Did you end up going through someone like Sytner Drive? Are you annoyed at the system in general like me or is there something else?

I'm not being nosy. I'm just having a bit of trouble understanding your situation over three threads
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
No worries, to summarise, it goes like this -:

* Car gets scraped
* Kind lady leaves number
* Got 3 quotes to choose cheapest or most reasonable I'm happy with so not to take the piss with the claim
* Choose someone I knows bodyshop so at least he gets a bit of business
* He recommends a CMC 'claims management company' (won't name yet) for a) better courtesy car b) speed of repair as they front the cash c) I don't need to do anything
* I suddenly get a wake up call as CMC introduces Solicitors for loads of unnecessary work
* Bodyshop bill suddenly triples according to CMC
* Everyone else starts laying in with invoices
* I realise I've been a dingbat by allowing a CMC to be involved which will have, by the end, probably quadrupled the original quote I gave the lady.
* This thread rattles me and savage e-mail sent to bodyshop
* After a quick call from bodyshop, I back down a little, the surveyor (not the bodyshop) recommended a new alloy instead of a repair, this is why their bill has shot up (they're not cheap)
* Oh, the claimed speed of the CMC not witnessed yet, car still not mended

Car just booked in 11th July but I'm away so postponed to 18th. I've demanded nothing less than a 911 as a courtesy car .

Turns out I've kind of over-reacted at the bodyshop which I've apologied for, they took it in good spirit, but I'm still pissed off at myself for involving a CMC who so far have done squat all that I couldn't have done, probably more efficiently, and without submitted unneccessary costs.

Lesson learned, NEVER INVOLVE A CMC, especially over a small thing like the damage on my car...
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #27
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
The cash for crash conspiracy: The £4.6bn racket involving greedy lawyers and insurers that's sending YOUR premiums sky high

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1Qvo0Puoy

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #28
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Just to revive this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
What I can't understand is why the insurance company being claimed against doesn't kick-off at the claims management company and so, no, I'm not paying £1,000+ on a courtesy car (even a good one), I'll give you £500.
Well as it happens the third parties insurers are doing exactly this. Three and a bit months after the bump they still haven't settled with SytnerDrive/Swift Hire/HAS because they're querying the ridiculous car hire charges for the E91 I drove around in while mine was being fixed. I know this because every so often they send me little updates and I got one today. Apparently they've paid the repair costs but not the vehicle hire.

And while we're on the subject of insurance, I got the renewal through from Aviva for my wife's Touran. Up £90 on last year for no other reason than there's an 'r' in the month. So I phoned renewals and the numpty there said there was nothing he could do because 'the FSA have told insurers to put their prices up 35%'. Idiot. Anyway, he advised going on the website as a new customer, getting a quote which would be cheaper and then ringing them up. They'd match it. So I did and they did. £10 more than last year.

They're all crooks.
Appreciate 0