E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > The Drowned Man and other stories: an e91 project

09-09-2023, 11:25 AM   #133
FrankMurphy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91

Garage List
2009 E91  [0.00]
Thankyou for sharing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolix-2 View Post
Oh, if you see the previous post, I got it from the black car. The factory CF brace actually survived as well, but annoying I can't use it in combination to the M3 braces, so I guess I'll re-market it.

The black car also has a Dinan exhaust, so I do plan to install that. One of my other parts cars has a magnaflow exhaust, but that's a bit loud for me and I hate a loud exhaust. For reference, I replaced my SL550 with a F-type in July and the stock exhaust on the F, much loved by almost everyone, makes me self conscious. I'm a boring sod like that I guess.

But, I am enjoying the process. Consciously tweaking this and that, improving towards a goal and made myself a spreadsheet to organize a bit this weekend. This e91 always gives me nostalgic feels every time I drive it!
Great conversing with you this morning. I'm not very active on the forum but read and follow it daily.

Reading what you said on exhausts, I'm of the same, I put AA headers with a stock system with an AFE pro 2 airbox (bitch to fit and avoid NVH) but a great sound and then I ended up wanting a bit more noise so put an m-sport rear box off a 135i on the car and it was too much. I ended up going for an AA rear box with factory resonator and stock mid section and its loud but sounds great if you're in the mood.

I've tried a euro airbox and also got an ARMA carbon airbox which was noisy but was pretty much open with a cover on it. Great people to deal with but not the direction I wanted to go. The AFE has two open ports on the front and with both open is noisy and the car presents a nice change in tone and urgency above 4K.

Not sure if that word salad helps !

Great list and the 513m's would be great on the wagon.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #134
Prolix-2
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo + Misc other Euro cars

So, the Volvo got forged wheels faster than the E91 did.

Fuchs made a very rare wheel for Volvo that was rarely ever used as it was fitted to the least likely car to get purchased, an S80 "sport." I've been trying to find a set for probably over 5 years and finally got a set together earlier this year. I was thinking of putting together a very nicely optioned something with either a driver's focused C30 or V50 or even XC70, but eventually gave up on the idea as being a redundant and put them on my wife's v60cc instead as it was due for tires this fall anyway. Going to try the Vredestein Hypertrac this go around.

Disappointingly, this tire setup is 10 lbs less per corner than the outgoing set, and I can't tell any difference driving the car outside of marginally more compliant ride quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:55 AM   #135
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, next thing in the list was the brake upgrade that I've had for a long time. Quite subtle with the wheel on with this wheel having so many spokes.

Trying to figure out the rear seems significantly more complicated. Here I was thinking it would be bolt on stuff like the front, but seemingly either I'm missing something, or it's very difficult. My shorter rotor hat makes for odd fitment?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-03-2023, 04:55 AM   #136
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, the Dinan exhaust is not for me and I've switched back out to the stock exhaust. I dunno, I'm not much for exhaust noises I guess.

I did a little beautification and installed the 330i tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-25-2024, 07:33 PM   #137
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, last week the e91 got some preventative maintenance done with the oil pan gasket and engine mounts. The inside of the engine wasn't pleasantly clean, but unfortunately for me the engine and transmission mounts looked excellent and I seemingly replaced them needlessly.

I changed the mounts on both of my MBs last year, both about the same age and miles as the bmw and I figured the bmws would be in about the same shape. Not so apparently. How disappointing, I gain nothing from this maintenance except to reduce the oil leaks. Darn.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-12-2024, 05:10 AM   #138
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Last weekend I re-badged the car to what it more or less is.

Using the tape worked well to making sure I put the replacement back in the right place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-18-2024, 04:18 PM   #139
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

I bought another rare wagon to tinker with. If I really like the car, then I have to decide if I sell the bmw, and I'm very attached to the bmw....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-04-2024, 03:52 AM   #140
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Is that a V60? Was thinking a Buick wagon but I doubt that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:01 AM   #141
FrankMurphy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91

Garage List
2009 E91  [0.00]
Guesss the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I'm going with a Jaguar XF wagon.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2024, 05:55 AM   #142
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Yes, this is the XF. Very low production numbers state side, so it's an easy mistake to not know it existed.

What I am very interested to find out first hand is the steering feel. My F-type it has the best feeling electric steering rack that I've experienced. I have high hopes considering that most reviews of most of Jaguar's lineup have echoed similar sentiments. The F-pace was C&D ranked second for best driver's SUV behind the Porsche. XE ranked better than the F30, etc.

Jag has always been a weirdly out of sync manufacturer with market trends, sometimes for the better, and sometimes not.
Appreciate 1