E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 HPFP (Fuel Pump) Failure

09-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #67
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I can hook you up with my N54 HPFP w/ 40k miles

this hpfp situation is really weird. some last long others die right away...

EDIT: they should give em out like lollipops in banks....take a few son for the road....
I think it depends on how hard you drive the car, the harder you drive the sooner the pump runs out
Gentle conservative driving may not even cause any problems
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #68
adrianBMW99
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
I think it depends on how hard you drive the car, the harder you drive the sooner the pump runs out
Isn't driving a 335i gently and conservatively defeating the point of a 50K sports sedan designed with the Autobahn in mind?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #69
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianBMW99 View Post
Isn't driving a 335i gently and conservatively defeating the point of a 50K sports sedan designed with the Autobahn in mind?

Without beating on my car, it definitely sees a "workout"
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #70
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

When did the 933 hpfp come out? I'm surprised his 2011 n55 didn't come with it from factory. wtf
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #71
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
VW/Audi's issues were primarily HPFP drive issues from driving the HPFP off the camshaft, which they resolved unlike the N54/55 HPFP issues which continue into the 5th model year with no solution.

FWIW, the forum co-admin Jason was kind enough to BAN me from these forums for 30 days for reporting the N55 HPFP failure situation in the 1Addicts forum over a month ago. Apparently Jason and perhaps folks at BMW don't want consumers to know the facts? Jason's rationale was that I was creating "hysteria" by reporting what I knew to be fact, because I didn't post an online link confirming the N55 HPFP failures.

Judge for yourself... Denial doesn't change reality nor does shooting the messenger.

I hope anyone with an N54/55 that experiences a HPFP failure will take 10 minutes to report this serious safety defect to NHTSA.gov online as this is the only means they have to know these safety defect issues exist. NHTSA is your consumer rep for auto safety and product defects.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Wow, that's sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #72
pony_trekker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535 x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
Then why would you buy a turbo BMW?

Take it to the Buick board.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #73
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
epic fail

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #74
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Two comments. For one, a person cannot yell fire in a crowded theater from Schenck v. United States. Sure., this is a forum, so false statements abound, as well as ones that are meant to scare and to alarm folks.

Secondly, there seems to be a non sequitur that abounds. A 2k11 N55 had a problem, therefore BMW has not solved the problem through 5 model years.

imho that's not altogether true. Again, this is an automobile, not a space shuttle. It can be fixed. My beef is it seems to take 5 visits to the dealership to fix the problem. Many lose patience by then and lose their shirts on a buyback or lemon. That's a problem. The car should be fixed on the first return visit. You cannot truly fix a flawed design at the factory, it simply costs too much. So now you deal with it one off when the vehicle reaches owners' hands. If the vehicle is not purchased and sits on a lot, you don't have to pay for the repairs now. BMW does not have the cash to fix each and every car, and for them, it makes total sense as not every car will experience the problem at the same time. Example, if Verizon put out a faulty Fios router that can't do WPA2 security, do they notify all the Fios customers and have them all call in at the same time to chat with offshore techs 1 1/2 hrs. before a decision is made to replace said router? No, they let customers discover the problem, and chat when they decide they have a spare 1 1/2 hours to jump through hoops, many will give up and not bother. Probably BMW and Verizon management attended the same B school and have adopted similar processes.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #75
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Two comments. For one, a person cannot yell fire in a crowded theater from Schenck v. United States. Sure., this is a forum, so false statements abound, as well as ones that are meant to scare and to alarm folks.

Secondly, there seems to be a non sequitur that abounds. A 2k11 N55 had a problem, therefore BMW has not solved the problem through 5 model years.

imho that's not altogether true. Again, this is an automobile, not a space shuttle. It can be fixed. My beef is it seems to take 5 visits to the dealership to fix the problem. Many lose patience by then and lose their shirts on a buyback or lemon. That's a problem. The car should be fixed on the first return visit. You cannot truly fix a flawed design at the factory, it simply costs too much. So now you deal with it one off when the vehicle reaches owners' hands. If the vehicle is not purchased and sits on a lot, you don't have to pay for the repairs now. BMW does not have the cash to fix each and every car, and for them, it makes total sense as not every car will experience the problem at the same time. Example, if Verizon put out a faulty Fios router that can't do WPA2 security, do they notify all the Fios customers and have them all call in at the same time to chat with offshore techs 1 1/2 hrs. before a decision is made to replace said router? No, they let customers discover the problem, and chat when they decide they have a spare 1 1/2 hours to jump through hoops, many will give up and not bother.
Probably BMW and Verizon management attended the same B school and have adopted similar processes.
And thus is the beauty of capitalism.
      09-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #76
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:

+1 , no issuses with my HPFP and I don't drive it soft
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #77
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:

imho that's not altogether true. Again, this is an automobile, not a space shuttle. It can be fixed. My beef is it seems to take 5 visits to the dealership to fix the problem. Many lose patience by then and lose their shirts on a buyback or lemon. That's a problem. The car should be fixed on the first return visit. You cannot truly fix a flawed design at the factory, it simply costs too much. So now you deal with it one off when the vehicle reaches owners' hands. If the vehicle is not purchased and sits on a lot, you don't have to pay for the repairs now. BMW does not have the cash to fix each and every car, and for them, it makes total sense as not every car will experience the problem at the same time. Example, if Verizon put out a faulty Fios router that can't do WPA2 security, do they notify all the Fios customers and have them all call in at the same time to chat with offshore techs 1 1/2 hrs. before a decision is made to replace said router? No, they let customers discover the problem, and chat when they decide they have a spare 1 1/2 hours to jump through hoops, many will give up and not bother. Probably BMW and Verizon management attended the same B school and have adopted similar processes.
+1.

From my gatherings on this board, only 2 things will happen to my car:
1) HPFP will die (that seems to be the diagnosis for EVERY 335 problem. Oh, your headlight blinked funny, must be the HPFP).
2) I will (or someone will) wreck my car.

Looking at the posts it seems I'll be more likely to have someone smash into my ride....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #78
comebackidlci
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post

FWIW, the forum co-admin Jason was kind enough to BAN me from these forums for 30 days for reporting the N55 HPFP failure situation in the 1Addicts forum over a month ago. Apparently Jason and perhaps folks at BMW don't want consumers to know the facts? Jason's rationale was that I was creating "hysteria" by reporting what I knew to be fact, because I didn't post an online link confirming the N55 HPFP failures.

Judge for yourself... Denial doesn't change reality nor does shooting the messenger.
Wow if what you are saying is real
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #79
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Many lose patience by then and lose their shirts on a buyback or lemon.
How so? If you are talking about money put into mods lost, I don't particularly see those who had the HPFP problem were big on mods, but most mods are just that, do so at your own risk.

Quote:
That's a problem. The car should be fixed on the first return visit.
If so there would be no need for the Lemon Law. I still don't understand why those who had repeated HPFP failures did not seem to want a buyback or a replacement. Is it because too much money had been sunken into mods that could not be removed and stock parts put back in?

If you are correct that BMW is just betting on only a few out of many will have the problem, so it continues to sell the product, then there is all the reason it will be more than willing to buyback or do replacement, if it can't fix the problem on a particular car.

I am just curious if anyone in the situation went through Lemon process or not, if so what was the end result?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #80
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackidlci View Post
Wow if what you are saying is real
Sounded to me he could have easily put the online link up and avoided the temporary ban? There are right ways and wrong ways to complain.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #81
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

It won't be long, like with other cars with known mechanical issues (VW Toureg), for a class action to be put together and approved.

People will be getting letters in the mail over the next few years from a law firm regarding this issues I would surmise. Settlement will happen and you will get something stupid like $600 in the end after legal fees if your car qualifies for some obscure and specific cirsumstances they agree upon.
      09-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #82
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
It won't be long, like with other cars with known mechanical issues (VW Toureg), for a class action to be put together and approved.

People will be getting letters in the mail over the next few years from a law firm regarding this issues I would surmise. Settlement will happen and you will get something stupid like $600 in the end after legal fees if your car qualifies for some obscure and specific cirsumstances they agree upon.
I wasn't talking class action. You pay no attorney fees in a Lemon case, at least not in CA, and the manufacture will end up pay all other court fees too, if it decides to go that far. Of course you need to have a case.

If the manufacture can prove you had modded enough to void parts of the warranty, then yes I can see the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #83
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Two comments. For one, a person cannot yell fire in a crowded theater from Schenck v. United States. Sure., this is a forum, so false statements abound, as well as ones that are meant to scare and to alarm folks...
OTOH, if there is a fire, then you have an obligation to warn moviegoers.

While TrackRat smelled the smoke of the 2011 HPFP problems early and said "the fat lady ain't sung yet," one mod, whose technical expertise is unknown, decided to ban TR instead of asking him to provide his reasoning.

In some cases, mods feel the power of that big red BAN button on their keyboard and that power rush makes them overreact.

I'm sure that I'm on their list now as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #84
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
How so? If you are talking about money put into mods lost, I don't particularly see those who had the HPFP problem were big on mods, but most mods are just that, do so at your own risk.

If so there would be no need for the Lemon Law. I still don't understand why those who had repeated HPFP failures did not seem to want a buyback or a replacement. Is it because too much money had been sunken into mods that could not be removed and stock parts put back in?

If you are correct that BMW is just betting on only a few out of many will have the problem, so it continues to sell the product, then there is all the reason it will be more than willing to buyback or do replacement, if it can't fix the problem on a particular car.

I am just curious if anyone in the situation went through Lemon process or not, if so what was the end result?
One guy boasted that he got his total purchase price back less a few hundred, and then bought a S5 and continued to lurk for months on this forum. But from what I understand, that isn't how it works, or is not typical. From what I understand, it's not, you paid 5x,xxx, plus tax, and we'll take your car back and cut you a check for that amount. But if I'm wrong and that's how the buyback works, or if the S5 driver's buyback is typical, then I stand corrected.

Just imagine how the OP feels--1500 miles on the car, and he's going to go through the disappointment of leaving his car at the dealership, get it back, have it die on the way home or at some other point, and probably repeat the process 5 times, at which time his car will most likely be fixed. Is that really necessary?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #85
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
One guy boasted that he got his total purchase price back less a few hundred, and then bought a S5 and continued to lurk for months on this forum. But from what I understand, that isn't how it works, or is not typical. From what I understand, it's not, you paid 5x,xxx, plus tax, and we'll take your car back and cut you a check for that amount. But if I'm wrong and that's how the buyback works, or if the S5 driver's buyback is typical, then I stand corrected[...]
Actually, in California, that's almost how it works. Once you satisfy the criteria (30 days cumulative / 4th consecutive issue ... etc...), they apply your purchase price (TTL included) through a formula which accounts for mileage and calculate a buy-back price so basically, you get whatever you paid for (minus wear-and-tear determined by said formula) as a check.
      09-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #86
hpowders
228i Fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i and BMW 328i

Yes. Unfortunately this is case #2.

Sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #87
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Actually, in California, that's almost how it works. Once you satisfy the criteria (30 days cumulative / 4th consecutive issue ... etc...), they apply your purchase price (TTL included) through a formula which accounts for mileage and calculate a buy-back price so basically, you get whatever you paid for (minus wear-and-tear determined by said formula) as a check.
Then you probably get into sunk costs like sales tax, etc. If you thought your car could be fixed by one visit to the dealership, would you accept that, or would you rather lose 5k to sales tax, the depreciation (which is $0 if you are not intending to sell your car), etc., and get a new car and pay another 5k to sales tax. Again, someone could step forward and say no, you're not responsible for taxes, depreciation, etc., and buy-back is a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #88
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Still seems limited compared the the N54. The 55 has been out for sometime in other models. Fuel pumps fail all the time. This could just be a normal failure. Normal pressure fuel pumps fail all the time too. Hopefully is stays very limited.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0