E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Noob, want to (minor) detail my car. Would like you advice!

01-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Noob, want to (minor) detail my car. Would like you advice!

Hello everyone!

I was thinking about giving it a shot and cleaning up the paint on this car a little. I take good care of the paint so its not in bad condition by any means. But I think it needs a good shine.

I'm thinking about giving it a good wash, then clay, then butterwet wax from chemical guys and jet seal by chemical guys.

What do you guys think? Id have to do everything by hand. Would love your feedback!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

by hand? i would skip some steps and go for a polisher instead... you will get better results and do the job much faster and easier and with ability to correct light scratches and swirls

wash and clay the car, then assess the paint... choose a polish accordingly... polish with machine and then apply sealant with the machine too... forget the wax
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

If you plan to simply clean and protect the vehicle, it can certainly be done easily by hand. If you wish to polish or correct the paint, a machine will yield much better results and require much less effort on your part.

Check out our in depth Detailing Guide and Ask-A-Pro Blog for tons of information on the proper detailing steps and techniques as well as product recommendations.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know! I'm always happy to help.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
A few things that will make things easier. Use the car washing bay to use their pressure washer for the wheels and paint. Drive it home wet. Thengive it a thorough 2 bucket wash method, with a few handmitts.

Consider using a NanoSkin Washmitt as your clay. You can use something like ONR instead of getting the "lubricant spray". But I've seen people use the nanoskin with soap, but you'd have to reapply the soap before each panel. Good thing about the Nano is that you can clean/rinse the surface between each panel.

- you can get pads fro polishers, small ones, or the washmitt. And you can reuse it multiple times. I'm assuming up to 5, but not sure.

Also, don't bother with wax. After all of that work, the wax won't last long at all. Butter wet wax looks awesome, but the durability is horrible compared to any sealant. I highly recommend, getting CarPro Hydro2 which is a spray and rinse sealant. Check out this vide of how easy it is. It's like rain-x for your entire car, but much easier to apply.

Once you go sealant, you don't go back to waxing. It's a waste of time. I use Hydro on my wheels, all windows, entire car. But it's best to spray the sealant on at the car washing bay as the pressure washer works better to rinse the sealant. And the sealant shows beading months later compared to waxes.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankcah View Post
A few things that...
This is awesome! Thanks!
Appreciate 0