E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Manual GBox Rebuild Kit

11-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Manual GBox Rebuild Kit

Howdy

I've been doing some chasing for a rebuild kit (bearings, seals and synchro) for the GS6-53DZ - THGX gearbox that my car has

Haven't had any luck so far, anyone have any experience getting parts for these?

Mines starting to grumble and I'd like to get on top of it before any real damage occurs

P.S. Have changed the oil in it twice, once to the recommended ATF fluid and the 2nd time to a gearbox oil that was also recommended but was slightly thicker, no discernable difference
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Should be using the genuine fluid. I found using ATF or Redline MTL or whatever forum recommendation resulted in poor shifting after a short while. After putting in BMW MTF-LT3 (check your gearbox label, it may require LT2 if its an older box), I noticed much slicker and better shifts.

Manual gearbox rebuild parts are not available from ZF, so anything would have to be custom made.
      11-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #3
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Should be using the genuine fluid. I found using ATF or Redline MTL or whatever forum recommendation resulted in poor shifting after a short while. After putting in BMW MTF-LT3 (check your gearbox label, it may require LT2 if its an older box), I noticed much slicker and better shifts.

Manual gearbox rebuild parts are not available from ZF, so anything would have to be custom made.
Thanks Vince
Probably why I can't find parts, I think I'll just pull it out, and see if I can get it apart without damaging the seals, really want to replace the bearings

it's just got the beginnings of a low grumble at high load low-mid rev range, my guess is bearings have some play, no metal anywhere yet, but it'll wear it out or break it if I ignore it too long
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
How u been Hops (apart from the gearbox noise) ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
How u been Hops (apart from the gearbox noise) ?
Good Socks,
Car has been running well, just need to hit Tim up for some adjustments now that the engine has loosened up a bit and I've fitted the PR Coils and the new exhaust

It overboosts sometimes just cruising around, so either the exhaust or coils (or the combo) is making slightly more boost a little quicker and upsetting the DME

Getting ready for a track day in January, and will hopefully make the next Sydney roll racing in mid-late December (4 December is sold out)

How's the beast going? looks like you've been getting plenty done as usual
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Good Socks,
Car has been running well, just need to hit Tim up for some adjustments now that the engine has loosened up a bit and I've fitted the PR Coils and the new exhaust

It overboosts sometimes just cruising around, so either the exhaust or coils (or the combo) is making slightly more boost a little quicker and upsetting the DME

Getting ready for a track day in January, and will hopefully make the next Sydney roll racing in mid-late December (4 December is sold out)

How's the beast going? looks like you've been getting plenty done as usual
You've been busy mate overboost is not a tune problem? Tim will sort it out (or tell you whats wrong) for sure. Things have been slow down here in Melbs, have had plenty of time to spend on the car
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks Vince
Probably why I can't find parts, I think I'll just pull it out, and see if I can get it apart without damaging the seals, really want to replace the bearings

it's just got the beginnings of a low grumble at high load low-mid rev range, my guess is bearings have some play, no metal anywhere yet, but it'll wear it out or break it if I ignore it too long
It's probably clutch/SMF related, don't you have the twin plate?

A VAC dampener helps cut out some of the NVH associated with the SMF

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...n54-p3758.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Quote:
Thanks Vince

It's probably clutch/SMF related, don't you have the twin plate?

A VAC dampener helps cut out some of the NVH associated with the SMF

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...n54-p3758.aspx
Hi Dr J,
yep true I have the twin plate
not sure it's vibration related, just a grinding sound in the higher gears under load

I think it started before I changed the clutch but I could be wrong about that

thanks for the tip, might look at the damper anyway, noting that my engine clutch and flywheel were fully balanced during my engine rebuild
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Dr J,
not sure it's vibration related, just a grinding sound in the higher gears under load

thanks for the tip, might look at the damper anyway, noting that my engine clutch and flywheel were fully balanced during my engine rebuild
Vac motorsport dampener works but is pretty exy
Didn't fully fix the rattle on mine but reduced it a fair bit
I would spend the money on a louder stereo
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Quote:
Hi Dr J,

I have just fitted a VAC harmonic damper. Hopefully it will improve the fw noises I get while driving. Duck also mentioned on fb that they are a good investment as soon as you change the factory dampening characteristics with a smfw as well, as harmonics can be an issue on i6's at higher rpm's.

Still waiting on a clutch pipe and I'll be able to tell you how the noise is while driving with the new damper - I can totally live with the idle chatter, it's the low rpm noise that is most annoying for me.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
I have just fitted a VAC harmonic damper. Hopefully it will improve the fw noises I get while driving. Duck also mentioned on fb that they are a good investment as soon as you change the factory dampening characteristics with a smfw as well, as harmonics can be an issue on i6's at higher rpm's.

Still waiting on a clutch pipe and I'll be able to tell you how the noise is while driving with the new damper - I can totally live with the idle chatter, it's the low rpm noise that is most annoying for me.
Will def make a big difference and protect the engine
Idle chatter drives me nuts, especially when sitting at the lights
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #12
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dr J,

Yeah I noticed more 'buzz' and harmonics at high RPM when I went to a SMF also. Not much you can do about it just the nature of the beast, unless you go for a VAC dampener.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Will def make a big difference and protect the engine
Idle chatter drives me nuts, especially when sitting at the lights
Shame you didn't live closer, but I swear mine's not that bad (even though we have the same setup )
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 04:24 AM   #14
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

I used Penrite 75w90 GL4 in my 130i to reduce the neutral idle chatter. Definitely wasn't DMF as it was replaced.. only for the noise to still occur. It's not officially endorsed but no issues in winter, no issues when hot. Almost eliminated all noise
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:37 AM   #15
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Hit up Dan from Simply Tuning for a custom twin plate. I have one in my car and with the idle at 850 rpm its very quiet. Can only really hear it when you push the pedal in like all twin plates. As for the VAC dampener, i ditched it in favour for a new stock one. Had too many issues.

There is also a place in Brisbane who can rebuild these gearboxes. They are very tight lipped on the where and how, but parts come from somewhere in the UK. Brymad Transmissions (07) 3275 2066
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #16
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
Hit up Dan from Simply Tuning for a custom twin plate. I have one in my car and with the idle at 850 rpm its very quiet. Can only really hear it when you push the pedal in like all twin plates. As for the VAC dampener, i ditched it in favour for a new stock one. Had too many issues.

There is also a place in Brisbane who can rebuild these gearboxes. They are very tight lipped on the where and how, but parts come from somewhere in the UK. Brymad Transmissions (07) 3275 2066
What was the problem with your vac dampener?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post

Thanks
Mine's not the idle chatter that I'm worried about, it's a low grinding noise at low revs under load in 3rd, 4th and 5th

I've decided not to worry about it for now, will see if it gets any worse

Already have a twin plate clutch, have the XTreme and it's pretty good really, happy with it

will keep the QLD crew in my phone and ring them if it deteriorates
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:13 AM   #18
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Quote:
What was the problem with your vac dampener?
Caused a lot of drivetrain vibration. Ended up snapping 3 of the 6 balancer bolts and the rest were loose. No issues with new OEM one.

Billiam Mason and all the guys who run high HP have had the same issues. He runs a stock one now on his 1000whp N54
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:16 AM   #19
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Who has a 1000hp N54?
Usa hp or Australia?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #20
Socket