E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding an AAP AGM battery.

12-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Coding an AAP AGM battery.

Hello,

I'm new to coding and was wondering if there is already a write up on how to correctly code a car from the white 90AH battery to the AAP AGM battery?

Sorry for any duplicate request for this info, a local forum member here asked me to help him with this task and the only thing i know how to do at the moment is to check battery stats in INPA + use Smooth1's BMWLogger to register.

Thanks in advance. From my searching... It seems i need to learn how to change the VO and the reprocess the car??? i don't know how any of that is done without a walk thru. I do have a working laptop setup for coding and a working cable that has been tested.

My original battery is the white (Flooded/lead acid/wet) non-AGM:
90AH
160RC
720CA
720CCA

Link to replacement AAP AGM battery I would like to get:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ery#fragment-2

AGM battery specs:
Acid Included: Yes
Battery Type: AGM
Battery Usage: Auto/Truck
BCI Group Size: H8
Cold Cranking Amps: 900
Cranking Amps: 1000
Deep Cycle/Starting: Dual Purpose
Height: 7.5
Length: 13.94
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 160
Terminal Type: SAE
Weight: 59.45
Width: 6.938

AutoCraft Gold AGM Battery, Group Size H8, 850 CCA
Part No. H8-AGM

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fazman; 12-19-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Here ya go:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...4&d=1387485193
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
mzeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 07 335coupe, 2011 X5D

BIG WARNING!!!!!

I bought same battery for my e92,(DON't LET THEM INSTALL IT, they broke wire connectors!)
I coded it using 2 DIYs, registerred it and now my drivers window is all messed up! Anti trap function not working despite recoding FRM module in expertmode according to the VO and doing switch re-initiation, removing and reinserting fuses, disconnecting the battery......going on 2 weeks of having to keep the window down a 1/2 inch when I close the door.........next week its going to the dealer and I will never buy another BMW with frameless windows...(my other BMW was in BMW DEALER 2 years ago
for over a month with same issue while under extended warranty and they broke the window twice and dented the hell out of the door.........but I love the drive! Good Luck!

BTW, I was at the place Sunday Night for an hour and a half and it was still not installed properly....finally got car home....did it myself!
Regretful.....YES!!!! My suggestion is to save your money and get same liquid filled Ah battery and register it Inpa and ot worry about it for the next 5 to 8 years

Last edited by mzeed; 12-20-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeed View Post
BIG WARNING!!!!!

I bought same battery for my e92,(DON't LET THEM INSTALL IT, they broke wire connectors!)
I coded it using 2 DIYs, registerred it and now my drivers window is all messed up! Anti trap function not working despite recoding FRM module in expertmode according to the VO and doing switch re-initiation, removing and reinserting fuses, disconnecting the battery......going on 2 weeks of having to keep the window down a 1/2 inch when I close the door.........next week its going to the dealer and I will never buy another BMW with frameless windows...(my other BMW was in BMW DEALER 2 years ago
for over a month with same issue while under extended warranty and they broke the window twice and dented the hell out of the door.........but I love the drive! Good Luck!

BTW, I was at the place Sunday Night for an hour and a half and it was still not installed properly....finally got car home....did it myself!
Regretful.....YES!!!! My suggestion is to save your money and get same liquid filled Ah battery and register it Inpa and ot worry about it for the next 5 to 8 years
Which place did the install? My friend got his installed in woodbridgeÿ, nj at AAP for free and we tossed him a $20 tip. Only issue we had was the guy used a backup battery in the OBD2 port which blew out the kombi fuse. easy fix... Just replace the busted 5amp fuse.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
mzeed
Private
Rep

Well I have same H8 agm battery in my 2005 e46 m3 this summer which replaced original...installed at AAP in Teaneck/ Bergenfield with No Issues whatsoever....
E92 car was different animal....I advise everyone changing that battery to watch the 22 minute youtube DIY......The battery in e92 was installed at a diffent AAP approx 8 miles west of the first and was a totally different and negative experience....

Any thoughts on what modules I should recode to VO in order to get the window anti trap to work? Thinking of recoding FMR and.CAS again......

Last edited by mzeed; 12-20-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeed View Post
Well I have same H8 agm battery in my 2005 e46 m3 this summer which replaced original...installed at AAP in Teaneck/ Bergenfield with No Issues whatsoever....
E92 car was different animal....I advise everyone changing that battery to watch the 22 minute youtube DIY......The battery in e92 was installed at a diffent AAP approx 8 miles west of the first and was a totally different and negative experience....

Any thoughts on what modules I should recode to VO in order to get the window anti trap to work? Thinking of recoding FMR and.CAS again......
Try coding your CAS in expertmode. Doing this reverts back to factory settings. I've seen some members coded their e92 and ended up e90 settings. This maybe what happened.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
mzeed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Try coding your CAS in expertmode. Doing this reverts back to factory settings. I've seen some members coded their e92 and ended up e90 settings. This maybe what happened.
TY for re-affirming my plan. I recoded in ExpertMode the CAS and FMR and this fixed my problem immediately. Upon opening the drivers door to exit after coding the window operated perfectly. I did NOT need to erase or re-initialialize the module from the window switch.....

TY TO THE FORUM
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeed
Quote:
TY for re-affirming my plan. I recoded in ExpertMode the CAS and FMR and this fixed my problem immediately. Upon opening the drivers door to exit after coding the window operated perfectly. I did NOT need to erase or re-initialialize the module from the window switch.....

TY TO THE FORUM
Not a problem.
      12-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
mzeed
Private
Rep

BTW: After some research, a back up battery OBD device seems like a great idea to prevent some module issues...... although , I think my issue occurred during coding out of "-B090" and inserting the "_agm" or the " -A090". My ending point for future searchers is that its easier to Register (tell car it has a new Battery) than it is to change the VO and code the modules as you need to do if you change the AH or the TYPE of Battery that is coded for your car..........
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not a problem.
Way to go!!! you rock!
Appreciate 0