E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can 6NF be retrofitted??

04-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #45
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTibbs View Post
OK, the thing is, the car I am looking at has 644 and 6FL already.. This leads me to believe that in order to realise 6NF, it might be just a case of swapping out the eject box, a bit of trim, and possibly some USB plugs which are part of 6FL.. Seems straight forward!

I've also been informed that the car should have COMBOX even though it only has the base professional radio...

Interesting times
Does the car have Navigation also?
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #46
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Does the car have Navigation also?
No it does not have navigation (no CIC/CCC or I-drive). However it looks like they do deploy COMBOX for the bluetooth and USB support that backs onto the professional radio via MOST.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Hmm, from what I know about the COMBOX is that it allows you to do/enable:
  • Web Browser
  • Bluetooth Audio
  • Album Art Covers
  • BMW Apps (Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio)
  • BMW Plugin
  • Video Playback

In order to that, you must a have a display screen, AKA iDrive. (sorry I had asked you having navigation, I meant iDrive.) If you considering the COMBOX, then I don't understand why you want go down route if we can not utilize all the features.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 04-10-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #48
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, form what I know about the COMBOX is that it allows you to do/enable:
  • Web Browser
  • Bluetooth Audio
  • Album Art Covers
  • BMW Apps (Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio)
  • BMW Plugin
  • Video Playback

In order to that, you must a have a display screen, AKA iDrive. (sorry I had asked you having navigation, I meant iDrive.) If you considering the COMBOX, then I don't understand why you want go down route if we can not utilize all the features.

It does enable the above, but it is also used for bluetooth and USB audio on non i-drive/ccc/cic/nav enabled cars. So BMW may have fitted the COMBOX regardless..

If the base radio can handle an iphone natively via USB/COMBOX (with no need for AUX) is another matter. Will find out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #49
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It does enable the above, but it is also used for bluetooth and USB audio on non i-drive/ccc/cic/nav enabled cars. So BMW may have fitted the COMBOX regardless..
Can you interface these features via the radio? If not, why not just use the MULF2 instead? Which may be cheaper...

Last edited by Thumperx; 04-10-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #50
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you interface these features via the radio? If not, why not just use the MULF2 instead? Which may be cheaper...
Ok to be clear, the car was factory installed with Bluetooth and USB for the standard radio, this is normal. In order to do this, they install a COMBOX as this provides these features, even for a standard radio.

It's not a question of cost, this is what the car has.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #51
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep

OK, got the car, no idea if there is a COMBOX in there or not. I can confirm that it still requires the Y cable regardless.

So either there is no COMBOX, or it makes no difference on the basic professional radio.

Build date Oct 2011.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #52
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, got the car, no idea if there is a COMBOX in there or not. I can confirm that it still requires the Y cable regardless.

So either there is no COMBOX, or it makes no difference on the basic professional radio.

Build date Oct 2011.
Ok, I get it. Two things you could do check
  • Look under the trunk floor and see if there's black bracket with a silver box located there. (this may not be always the case because the MULF or COMBOX units also can be placed above the glove box)
  • Second, go the the dealership, provide them your VIN #, and receive a build sheet print out of all features that came with the car. It should state the COMBOX is present or not.
  • Last, maybe you have a build sheet print out already, if so check it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #53
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I get it. Two things you could do check
  • Look under the trunk floor and see if there's black bracket with a silver box located there. (this may not be always the case because the MULF or COMBOX units also can be placed above the glove box)
  • Second, go the the dealership, provide them your VIN #, and receive a build sheet print out of all features that came with the car. It should state the COMBOX is present or not.
  • Last, maybe you have a build sheet print out already, if so check it.
Thanks, I'll try asking the parts team for the build sheet tomorrow. At this point, I'll probably leave the system as is.
Appreciate 0