E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anybody offer remote diagnostic for $$ ?

03-27-2023, 09:21 PM   #1
Bryans86
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Anybody offer remote diagnostic for $$ ?

Im about exhausted trying to figure out this 08 335xi project car i bought. Now i cant even get it to start but its showing zero codes . I have jb4 with bluetooth and a dcan cable with inpa etc downloaded. However my German isnt the greatest. What im hoping to find is some company or someone who can access my computer remotely Or FaceTime me through pulling the errors and trying to diagnose this. I have no hesitation on paying a reasonable rate for someones time. Since i bought the car i have replaced crank sensor. Vanos solenoids, hpfp with sensor, verified the timing was correct. Walnut blasted. Plus the previous owner replaced some sensors etc . the lpfp is putting out 70psi cranking according to jb4 and now suddenly the hpfp is reading low pressure like 4-10 on the jb4. I got the car running poorly. The owner stated it died and wouldnt start so he replaced the crank sensor and it would run but very badly . I got it to run and idle but as it warmed up it would start coughing with the gauges cycling then it would start blowing smoke and soon stall . Usually i could clear the check engine light and it would start again . Not the story now .
But any companys or people offer any type of online help ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:42 PM   #2
JLeport
Rep
Drives: E82 135i N55

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [6.50]
Download the google translate app on your phone, there is a feature that you can use the camera to take a picture of your inpa screen and it will automatically translate everything
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:07 AM   #3
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

I doubt it's the problem but have you removed the jb4? Sounds like it's your choice of code reader though. I assume you're on map 0 trying to figure this out. My JB4 while it never made my car run bad, it never ran as well as it could vs MHD but that's tuned.

Google lens is what I use for codes for inpa although most of it is in english.

FWIW I can understand being frustrated. I have wrenched a lot over the years and got very stumped recently with someone else's project. Turned out the aftermarket flywheel was machined undersize on the cps trigger ring to not give consistent signal. Enough for inpa and intermittent spark but not enough to run correctly. It took a professional mechanic to just flat out say get rid of it and get oem spec parts to get it sorted. That was on my first 540 M62. It might be worth putting it on a trailer and taking it to a good shop to give you a second set of eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 02:14 AM   #4
Bryans86
Rep

I appreciate the idea on using a translator. I was going to pull the jb4 but its got mhd back flashed so i was concerned. One thing I remember looking at jb4 settings and they were so different then my 335i. The tmap was at 30 and it had a bunch of crazy values. I regret not taking a picture before i set everything to base line settings. If i pull the mhd. Or even try a different one ( i have 3 total for 2 cars 🙄 i really regret buying someone else’s nightmare. I do like the android screen on the dash. And the passenger power mirror works where the 335i is broken. Almost ready to admit i bought a 3000$ parts car and yank the parts i need
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #5
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans86 View Post
I appreciate the idea on using a translator. I was going to pull the jb4 but its got mhd back flashed so i was concerned. One thing I remember looking at jb4 settings and they were so different then my 335i. The tmap was at 30 and it had a bunch of crazy values. I regret not taking a picture before i set everything to base line settings. If i pull the mhd. Or even try a different one ( i have 3 total for 2 cars �� i really regret buying someone else’s nightmare. I do like the android screen on the dash. And the passenger power mirror works where the 335i is broken. Almost ready to admit i bought a 3000$ parts car and yank the parts i need
Man if it's not on a single turbo I'd put it all back to stock flash and pull the the MHD tune and JB4. Use INPA or ISTA or Protools and live data and see what fuel pressures are and timing corrections etc...Inpa should only be foreign on the codes and you can use google lens to translate. I was under the impression this was your first 335. Compare live data on inpa from one car to another to get clues. Have you compression tested the motor? Is it healthy? Are the injectors shot? Coils and plugs good? What is the high pressure fuel psi when cranking? You said you verified timing so I assume you've had the valve cover off and timing tools? What made you suspect that? It's pretty rare for a 335 to have timing and chain issues. These cars are pretty smart if there is missing signals from sensors they'll usually throw codes.

Last edited by TyroneShoelaces; 03-30-2023 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:47 PM   #6
Bryans86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
Man if it's not on a single turbo I'd put it all back to stock flash and pull the the MHD tune and JB4. Use INPA or ISTA or Protools and live data and see what fuel pressures are and timing corrections etc...Inpa should only be foreign on the codes and you can use google lens to translate. I was under the impression this was your first 335. Compare live data on inpa from one car to another to get clues. Have you compression tested the motor? Is it healthy? Are the injectors shot? Coils and plugs good? What is the high pressure fuel psi when cranking? You said you verified timing so I assume you've had the valve cover off and timing tools? What made you suspect that? It's pretty rare for a 335 to have timing and chain issues. These cars are pretty smart if there is missing signals from sensors they'll usually throw codes.

So this basically is my first turbo bmw. I bought a 335i in September. Then this xi in December for a winter vehicle ( missed the season thoe) reading the jb4 and now it’s showing low pressure on the hpfp. Which is odd but i have s spare ill try . The lpfp is supplying 70psi steady . Is there something I could’ve broken by swapping the crank sensor. That would cause the hpfp to bite the bullet? I’ve checked every connection etc
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 10:29 AM   #7
Bryans86
Rep

The car is running. I swapped hpfp . And while doing so I realized the crank sensor wasnt installed straight and broke . New sensor and its running . However the white smoke blowing from exhaust is another issue
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans86 View Post
The car is running. I swapped hpfp . And while doing so I realized the crank sensor wasnt installed straight and broke . New sensor and its running . However the white smoke blowing from exhaust is another issue
Perhaps the white smoke is a failed or failing PCV?
Internal engine coolant leak?