E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Poss Electrical Fault on E90

03-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
morpah
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d e90 m47

Unhappy Poss Electrical Fault on E90

Hi All,

Looking for some guidance

I've a possible electrical fault on my 2006 320d E90 that I'm looking for some guidance on. Two weeks ago I started getting an intermittent right rear (UK drivers side) ABS fault which is now a permanent fault upon starting her up. No problem I thought, I'll order an ABS sensor and look at replacing. However, today when driving into work I got a CCID-97 fault (airbag) and to top it off - an eratically fluctuating fuel gauge!

Can a faulty ABS sensor also start interfering with things or is there a wiring harness that could be at fault here? I started looking around the right rear to see what drops down by the wheel without taking it all off (the wheel's pretty solidly stuck to the hub and needs some force I just don't have today) and I can see these two cables, any idea if these are relevant?

Some other things to note:-

* I'm fairly sure it's worse when wet, though the ABS fault is obviously now permanent.
* The battery was replaced with a new halfords one about a year ago.

Am i barking up the wrong tree here? Any guidance appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Question Voltage Regulator?

You did not mention mileage, but since it's an '06 I am going to guess your voltage regulator is in need of replacement. I'm not sure if you are aware, but there is a "secret menu" you can pull up on the instrument cluster that will display the voltage of the running car. It should be over 13v while running, but not over 15v. If you see either, replace the voltage regulator with a genuine Bosch part, it's only about $50 US.

Just because the battery is newish, does not mean your electrical system is working normally. In fact, if it had to be replaced, it points to some weakness in the charging portion of the car, which is handled by the voltage regulator. Low voltage could also be caused by a faulty alternator pulley, but the regulator should be replaced with some regularity as it has brushes that wear away with usage.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 03:08 PM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

since you car is m47 06 car, than it is quite usual that abs magnet in wheel hub is failing and there are a lot of such issues in a forum
so you have to replace a magnet, but higher end e90 have magnet integrated in a bearing and lower end e90 have sort of magnetic ring
it is corrode and start to provide not correct info to DSC module, and that lead to very strange behavior sometimes because DSC want to know that all wheel rotating correcly before allow engine management to go to some higher speed
      03-29-2023, 05:24 AM   #4
morpah
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d e90 m47

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's a high miler now with 190k miles on the clock. I plugged in the carly instead on a 50 mile trip today and the voltage maintained between 13.8v and 14.2v (mostly in the 14's).

It's a dry day out today so I'll keep an eye on it as I have a feeling the airbag fault will probably return when it's wet out again but we'll see.

Out of interest does anyone know what the white box is and the 2 connectors in the photo?
Appreciate 0