E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > UPDATED - Engine Swap - 335D Crankshaft Main Bearings and Bolts Question

10-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #199
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNN1999 View Post
Bmw has two over sized bearing so Ive got really only one shot at this by the machine shop to get it wrong. I feel that another reason for it failing again is that a new cap was used with out getting it bored. I will most definitely doing that to make sure everything is straight. At my dealership we use a local machine shop so has done lots of work for us, I plan to use them. Its fairly straight forward just have to see how much material will need to be taken off. Low key it will be a "light weight" crank lol.
Sounds good. Keep us posted on your progress and how things are progressing. I, for one, am very interested to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #200
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbilly View Post
Had my crank turned and had to get oversized bearings....PM me for contact info and I can tell you my ordeal and some of the pitfalls you might encounter. I have a few parts....bought a windowed motor out of an x5.
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the ordeal you went through and the pitfalls you encountered. I'm sure others would be very interested to know as well
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #201
MRNN1999
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

I didn't get to working on my car today, will hopefully have it out by Tuesday. Just wanted to update.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #202
MRNN1999
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Motor is full taken apart and will be taking measurements tomorrow. It is looking promising to be rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #203
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the ordeal you went through and the pitfalls you encountered. I'm sure others would be very interested to know as well
No real "PITFALLS" just a lack of aftermarket support for bearings. So ended up using BMW bearings which were kinda pricey. There were companies that claimed to have them but once in possession of them they weren't right. Oiler holes on the main bearings weren't even close on either set of aftermarkets I got. Aftermarket rod bearings are available though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #204
cevans
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking for a 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbilly View Post
No real "PITFALLS" just a lack of aftermarket support for bearings. So ended up using BMW bearings which were kinda pricey. There were companies that claimed to have them but once in possession of them they weren't right. Oiler holes on the main bearings weren't even close on either set of aftermarkets I got. Aftermarket rod bearings are available though.
M57 main bearings are available in aftermarket standard size only :-( Glyco are the ONLY ones where the oiler holes are correct. Mahle & Kolbenschmidt versions won't work.

https://www.idparts.com/main-bearing...d-p-10708.html

Been bugging Glyco to make .25 over available, but this is a unique bearing so VIO is so low they don't see the market need.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #205
Jdh208
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 35d

Thread looks pretty old, but wanted to post for reference that I just purchased a 335d that appears to have some sort of bailing failure.

Interesting part is the production date is 5/31/2010.

And on the Ceratec/MoS2 Topic - I think I had read on LiquiMoly's site that there intention is for the ceratec to be used initially, and the MoS2 at the following OCIs until due for a Ceratec refresh.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #206
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdh208 View Post
Thread looks pretty old, but wanted to post for reference that I just purchased a 335d that appears to have some sort of bailing failure.

Interesting part is the production date is 5/31/2010.

And on the Ceratec/MoS2 Topic - I think I had read on LiquiMoly's site that there intention is for the ceratec to be used initially, and the MoS2 at the following OCIs until due for a Ceratec refresh.
Best thing to do is drop the oil pan and check the bearings. You could always send out an oil sample for analysis first, but dropping the oil pan will give you a definitive answer.

Do you by any chance have a link to the Liqui Moly's site where they state that. It's been a while since I read up on the difference between the two, but I thought Ceratec was an improvement upon MoS2. Can't imagine running Ceratec at every OCI would be detrimental though.
Appreciate 0