E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > UK Gearbox remap review

07-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #89
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
It seems that on some cars, specially with high power stages, the gearbox fails on internal hydraulic pressures. Sonnax has kits to solve that issue and even has torque converter kits to handle higher levels. Exedy has for some time clutch kits for +1000hp.
The Sonnax kits are upgrades in the sense that they replace parts that wear with others of higher durability. In a transmission in good working order, first thing to go under high power is the input shaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #90
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I would really be interested in seeing some videos/figures.

Can anyone be bothered posting some?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #91
DWR
Banned
Rep

Everytime someone asks for data or something more than a personal endorsement we come up empty. So, I decided to ask for specifics from the source. They said the 335d will experience 26% faster shifting. Kind of a BS answer. If they really had measured it, they would have provided gear by gear improvement. My guess is they gave a ballpark based on similar applications.

Regarding purchase price, gearbox tuning module costs £349 + shipping. Not sure a group buy would improve on that price.

I have been hesitant because of Si-335d's posts about inconsisent shift rpms.
Wondering if the tuning box is extracting a penalty for the shift speed improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #92
natefank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Has anyone emailed them and asked for hard data or some kind of guarantee on the claims they are making? Seems to me if they are claiming a 26% faster shift and they can't guarantee it then its BS. Well I looked at their site and they do have a 30 day money back guarantee....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #93
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefank View Post
Has anyone emailed them and asked for hard data or some kind of guarantee on the claims they are making? Seems to me if they are claiming a 26% faster shift and they can't guarantee it then its BS. Well I looked at their site and they do have a 30 day money back guarantee....
Did all of the above. I shared the response I recieved. Your analysis of the situation is dead on.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #94
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefank View Post
DWR did all of the above. So did I early on, and so did our tuner over here. They won't share any specifics and have no hard evidence. The guinea pig in Canada that tried it on this side of the pond said the car felt exactly the same after loading the flash. So even with a 30 day guarantee it could still be BS....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:00 AM   #95
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR
Everytime someone asks for data or something more than a personal endorsement we come up empty. So, I decided to ask for specifics from the source. They said the 335d will experience 26% faster shifting. Kind of a BS answer. If they really had measured it, they would have provided gear by gear improvement. My guess is they gave a ballpark based on similar applications.

Regarding purchase price, gearbox tuning module costs £349 + shipping. Not sure a group buy would improve on that price.

I have been hesitant because of Si-335d's posts about inconsisent shift rpms.
Wondering if the tuning box is extracting a penalty for the shift speed improvement.
My inconsistent shifts were fixed and not related to this. I had all 6 glow plugs replaced and its working fine again now
      08-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #96
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d View Post
My inconsistent shifts were fixed and not related to this. I had all 6 glow plugs replaced and its working fine again now
Unbelievable. Just when you think you have heard it all.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #97
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR
Quote:
Unbelievable. Just when you think you have heard it all.
Tell me about it. Apparently the glow plugs are usef for more than starting ie cold running and regents. If enough of them fail it goes onto a sort of mini limp mode reducing the rev limiter. Guest this is because it cannot regenerate properly and reduce soot production this way
      08-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #98
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

I had 4 dead glow plugs in my 330d and the only symptom I had was rough idle at start up.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #99
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep
Drives: A lot of BMWs...

I flashed my car with the JFA tool yesterday and de-installed it 1 hour later. There was not the slightest difference. No earlier lock-up, no quicker shift...nothing.

I'm in contact with John Ford from JFA now, but at the moment i'm only getting standard answers: "we never had anyone unsatisfied" etc. Maybe there will be more qualified feedback on Monday.

The whole install/deinstall procedure isn't really satisfying, as there are absolutely no buttons, displays, leds etc. on the unit. You plug it in, it beeps once, wait 30sec and then it beeps constantly as soon at it is "finished". Nice so far, but the deinstall procedure works EXACTLY the same way. You just have to press the unlock button of the car after the first beep and then it should go back to stock. At the end it does exactly the same constant beeping, as after install. So, how should anyone know, if it's really uninstalled? Answer: Only JFA can check that at the facility. )

So I'll be returning the thing to UK and just have to hope, that it's not locked to my VIN and that i will get my refund.

This thread was the main reason, why I ordered the flash, so i wanted to give some feedback. If things change somehow, i will report again.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #100
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBan81
I flashed my car with the JFA tool yesterday and de-installed it 1 hour later. There was not the slightest difference. No earlier lock-up, no quicker shift...nothing.

I'm in contact with John Ford from JFA now, but at the moment i'm only getting standard answers: "we never had anyone unsatisfied" etc. Maybe there will be more qualified feedback on Monday.

The whole install/deinstall procedure isn't really satisfying, as there are absolutely no buttons, displays, leds etc. on the unit. You plug it in, it beeps once, wait 30sec and then it beeps constantly as soon at it is "finished". Nice so far, but the deinstall procedure works EXACTLY the same way. You just have to press the unlock button of the car after the first beep and then it should go back to stock. At the end it does exactly the same constant beeping, as after install. So, how should anyone know, if it's really uninstalled? Answer: Only JFA can check that at the facility. )

So I'll be returning the thing to UK and just have to hope, that it's not locked to my VIN and that i will get my refund.

This thread was the main reason, why I ordered the flash, so i wanted to give some feedback. If things change somehow, i will report again.
Maybe try the install again and make sure you leave the car to idle for 10 mins before driving. Maybe something went wrong on the instal the first time. It also improves over the first 100 miles or so. I'm surprised you didn't notice an improvement
      08-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #101
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

To be honest, the whole "idle 10 minutes" and "drive 200 miles" thing is all BS in my eyes. I'm a little familiar with coding, flashing, tuning and I can't really think of 1 single reason why anything should change because of 10 minutes idling. Nevertheless, i did let the car idle for 13 minutes.

Would you mind making a video of a normall pull away from a standing start? Not full throttle, just normal driving. I'm eager to know, how your car behaves compared to mine with the latest 335d TCU flash. (that was a big jump over the original one, but it's still not perfect)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:38 AM   #102
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

John wrote back (on Sunday!!) and insisted, that i have to drive the car a few hundred miles. I still think this nonsense, but as I'm doing 300 miles a week I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #103
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
John wrote back (on Sunday!!) and insisted, that i have to drive the car a few hundred miles. I still think this nonsense, but as I'm doing 300 miles a week I will give it a try.
Load it back on to the letter on the instructions, do the miles and then you will have the ability to do a full assessment as to the benefits. I like mine and the converter locking and slightly more solid feeling gear changes are noticeable but if you are expecting the gearbox to suddenly perform like a DCT or the new 8 speed box, you will be disappointed.
      08-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #104
DWR
Banned
Rep

If you can reset adaptions via EDIABAS and then flash, you should immediately be able to measure a difference - if there is one. BTW, it is not a remap, it is really just causing the transmission to adjust the way it uses the maps. It is the same technique used by the folks that program this OBD flasher for engine performance improvement. Because of that, either way there should be a difference. The 100 miles is so the adaptions can adjust. So, it could very well improve with usage.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #105
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, the whole "idle 10 minutes" and "drive 200 miles" thing is all BS in my eyes. I'm a little familiar with coding, flashing, tuning and I can't really think of 1 single reason why anything should change because of 10 minutes idling. Nevertheless, i did let the car idle for 13 minutes.

Would you mind making a video of a normall pull away from a standing start? Not full throttle, just normal driving. I'm eager to know, how your car behaves compared to mine with the latest 335d TCU flash. (that was a big jump over the original one, but it's still not perfect)
What you suggest for a video will not show much, if anything tbh as the shift points don't Change as far as in aware. The harder you drive, the more different if feels, ie torque converter locking etc
      08-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #106
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What you suggest for a video will not show much, if anything tbh as the shift points don't Change as far as in aware. The harder you drive, the more different if feels, ie torque converter locking etc
Si-335d you are in error on this point. If you video the tach and speedometer, we can do a direct comparison with other vehicles, at part and full throttle. A 26% faster shift will be measureable, so will torque converter lock up. Not trying to put you on the spot, just trying to explain how you can assist the forum - if you choose. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #107
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Load it back on to the letter on the instructions, do the miles and then you will have the ability to do a full assessment as to the benefits. I like mine and the converter locking and slightly more solid feeling gear changes are noticeable but if you are expecting the gearbox to suddenly perform like a DCT or the new 8 speed box, you will be disappointed.
I really believe you, but wether you like it or not is not my point. The benefit someone feels of a tune always has lots to do with how good the stock situation was. I fiddled around a LOT with various factory Roms from the GS19 unit, because i couldnt imagine that all of those applications where such a BS. In fact, most of them are horrible, but i found one, which improves things really a lot. It's the latest update from the US 335d (ZB# 7606273), which also works great on 325d/330d.

At the moment my point is: Everyone could go to a coder and have this ZB# flashed for i don't know 80 $, and will get exactly the same result, as with the 700 $ Elite Flash.

The whole adapt thing is BS. A unit adapts to mechanical, hydraulical spread in the factory process, but it won't change it's behaviour fundamentally. As said, I tried a lot of different stock Roms, and most of the time I felt the difference immediatly at the first junction.

That "adapt" thing is like the oldest joke inside the tuner community and it works for nearly 20 years now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #108
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBan81 View Post
I really believe you, but wether you like it or not is not my point. The benefit someone feels of a tune always has lots to do with how good the stock situation was. I fiddled around a LOT with various factory Roms from the GS19 unit, because i couldnt imagine that all of those applications where such a BS. In fact, most of them are horrible, but i found one, which improves things really a lot. It's the latest update from the US 335d (ZB# 7606273), which also works great on 325d/330d.

At the moment my point is: Everyone could go to a coder and have this ZB# flashed for i don't know 80 $, and will get exactly the same result, as with the 700 $ Elite Flash.

The whole adapt thing is BS. A unit adapts to mechanical, hydraulical spread in the factory process, but it won't change it's behaviour fundamentally. As said, I tried a lot of different stock Roms, and most of the time I felt the difference immediatly at the first junction.

That "adapt" thing is like the oldest joke inside the tuner community and it works for nearly 20 years now.
Just curious when the TCU update you referenced was released? Would like to make sure I have it. What is the easiest procedure to check the current coding?

That 200 miles of adaptation probably increases the chances of the placebo effect to kick in too
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #109
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Just curious when the TCU update you referenced was released? Would like to make sure I have it. What is the easiest procedure to check the current coding?

That 200 miles of adaptation probably increases the chances of the placebo effect to kick in too
Yeah, that's exactly the point.

The update is from Dec. 2012 or so....i read it in another thread here. In my case, i just got the newest SP Daten (July 15) and tried one ZB after another.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #110
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Use Ediabas, open GS19D.prg and execute job "aif_lesen".
Appreciate 0