E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 Tuning, Maintenance, Parts and DIY MEGATHREAD

12-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #23
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I'm guessing OP was trying to keep list somewhat realistic cost wise for our large in flux of new members. Maybe they have deep pockets, maybe not. The hybrid turbos and tune is a whole another level requiring an upgraded intercooler and likely piping. I've left this thread alone as it's largely a repeat of many other topics earlier discussed. My opinion is the OP's intent was likely below the hybrid level. I've been at this 5 yrs and still hadn't touched the stock turbos (save for the waste gate porting). My take is to wait until my turbos are in need of replacement. Sure, we could all go drop 20 grand in upgrades but I'd rather spend it on the Barracuda and run low 10's. Out

Last edited by BB_cuda; 12-15-2016 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Fair statement/point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #25
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwal187 View Post
Those race pipes from eBay seem like good alternatives but wouldn't the one from AA Rodriguez be the best option since they have the most reviews on this forum and also have a meth bung in it apposed to the eBay ones
The only way the one from AA rodriguez is a better item is if you need the meth bung in the EGR pipe. However, thats not even a recommended location for meth bung so you might as well get the reasonably priced one and put the bung in the right place. TDIwyse is running the same one I am (or similar) as well as a bunch of the guys from europe, theres plenty of feedback. Its a pretty well made item.
Appreciate 1
Arben5.50
      12-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #26
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Yeah, I'm trying to keep this in a lower cost range since I know so many new people are coming in, and I know they all have plenty of questions just like I did.

This thread puts you in the more reliable range, with better MPG, and ridiculously good performance. Of course if you have the money replacing the stock turbos and getting a massive tune and upgrading literally everything is good, but most of the newcomers don't really want to go past a stage 2+ with meth. So I've tried to cover just the general stuff.

When these newcomers start wondering about hybrid turbos and stage 4, then they will be more able to research these things and ask proper questions.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #27
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

I had a post, a few post back about my race pipe.. Look at this on
eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141129920512.

I've had it for almost a year now and I love it. Just an option. Bit I don't use the bung for meth.. both of mine are in the charge pipe

This is where I installed my meth upper charge pipe, AEM 2 500 nozzles, as per BPC

I have a lot better pics, but resizing them cuts out a lot of detail... Don't know why in 2016-soon 2017 this site just doesn't auto resize. 😡😡😡😡😤😤😤
Attached Images

Last edited by JOHNNYBRAVO1; 12-16-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
ASBSECU E93
Rep

didn't see larger FMIC - but this is a relative easy mod, and somewhat inexpensive...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #29
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
The only way the one from AA rodriguez is a better item is if you need the meth bung in the EGR pipe. However, thats not even a recommended location for meth bung so you might as well get the reasonably priced one and put the bung in the right place. TDIwyse is running the same one I am (or similar) as well as a bunch of the guys from europe, theres plenty of feedback. Its a pretty well made item.
Where are most people usually putting their meth bung locations ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #30
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Where are most people usually putting their meth bung locations ?
I think most are putting the nozzle lower down in the charge pipe right after the intercooler
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #31
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I think most are putting the nozzle lower down in the charge pipe right after the intercooler
I hear it's not recommended before the sensor on the charge pipe. Mine is on the bend before the throttle body assembly.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #32
ASBSECU E93
Rep

I think BPC recommends as 335dlci stated. This is where mine is located.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #33
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Many are running it before the IAT. Not sure why that wouldnt be recommended unless it just doesnt play well with their tune or there is concern that it will foul the sensor (mine seems fine, after at least 50k miles of having it sprayed on). Either way its before the throttle plate which is the important part.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #34
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Been running mine before the sensor. I really don't see a drop in intake temperature while spraying like was claimed.
      12-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #35
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Quote:
I'm using the first one I linked.
Did you need to purchase extra block off plates with it or was the one piece just enough ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #36
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Did you need to purchase extra block off plates with it or was the one piece just enough ?
The adapter Hooper is pointing has no provision for the cooler to attach so you would only block the exhaust manifold side. I purchased this block off from FixmyVW.com. I had a sort of homemade one that was a cut off of a scrap EGR cooler and Iaknown plug within it. I simplified matters by using Andrew's block off plate on the exhaust.

EDIT: Oops, I spoke too soon, the EGR cooler can attach to the side of the faux EGR valve that Bimmertune offers. I cut that off as I hadn't run a cooler since 2014. I also cut off the fake vacuum connection. I painted it with satin silver to sort of look like the factory EGR. Any trained eye would catch this quickly though. So, my version of the bimmertune "spacer" is very simple now. Throttle body in and out. That is it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #37
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One side of that delete pipe connects to the egr cooler outlet and serves as the block there, no other blocks are needed. However, you might want to buy the exhaust manifold block off to keep any exhaust gasses out of the egr cooler for peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #38
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Been running mine before the sensor. I really don't see a drop in intake temperature while spraying like was claimed.
Interesting. Have you done back to back tests to compare IAT's?

I've had mine before the IAT sensor for >4 years now. Attaching some of the first data comparisons I did when starting to play with the water/methanol injection to show the significant change in behavior. This was data taken on the same day, maybe 5 minutes apart.

I'd actually like to move that IAT sensor further up the charge pipe to allow the water/methanol injection more time to evaporate before the sensor reads the temp. But haven't got around to doing that yet.

A potential problem with having the injector before the IAT sensor is that it's likely lower than your water/methanol tank. So a leaking injector/check valve/solenoid would be at risk for filling up the intake pipe, and then bad things would happen.

I like having the logged IAT reflect the cooling as it makes things like matchbot simulations more accurately reflect what the engine is doing...
Attached Images

12-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #39
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I have a set of block off plates for sale
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #40
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Interesting. Have you done back to back tests to compare IAT's?

I've had mine before the IAT sensor for >4 years now. Attaching some of the first data comparisons I did when starting to play with the water/methanol injection to show the significant change in behavior. This was data taken on the same day, maybe 5 minutes apart.

I'd actually like to move that IAT sensor further up the charge pipe to allow the water/methanol injection more time to evaporate before the sensor reads the temp. But haven't got around to doing that yet.

A potential problem with having the injector before the IAT sensor is that it's likely lower than your water/methanol tank. So a leaking injector/check valve/solenoid would be at risk for filling up the intake pipe, and then bad things would happen.

I like having the logged IAT reflect the cooling as it makes things like matchbot simulations more accurately reflect what the engine is doing...
I haven't done any concrete testing like you have, the roads around me are too congested for full throttle testing after 3rd gear. I used to monitor the IAT through OBD, and noticed maybe a small drop or so in *F opposed to not spraying while passing people on the highway.

Maybe next time the 1/4 mi opens up I'll do some logs with and without meth.
      12-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #41
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

We should be pushing vendors for nozzle upgrades long before hybrid turbos. There's overhead in the air department. The nozzles are limited and that is the low hanging fruit. Kinda frustrating there aren't ANY options. I'm not used to that for diesels, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #42
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Quote:
I'm using the first one I linked.
I bought the same race pipe you did. What should I do about capping off the exhaust manifold port for the EGR cooler? The race pipe only came with bolts and a gasket but no cap for the exhaust side like the AArodriguez kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #43
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post
I bought the same race pipe you did. What should I do about capping off the exhaust manifold port for the EGR cooler? The race pipe only came with bolts and a gasket but no cap for the exhaust side like the AArodriguez kit.

I'm not picking on you, but every time I read 'race pipe' I think it's the biggest marketing BS ever. There's nothing racy about them. They do nothing for performance. #offmysoapboxnow

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #44
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I'm not picking on you, but every time I read 'race pipe' I think it's the biggest marketing BS ever. There's nothing racy about them. They do nothing for performance. #offmysoapboxnow
I think that they are only labeled "race pipe" to avoid any legal repercussions for deleting emissions equiptment. Kind of like a "Race Use Only" disclaimer. I know it's not going to give me +100whp or anything like that.
Appreciate 1