E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d PCV Catch Can Question

08-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #89
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Thats the reason I got the CYBA Scoops they pick up air from in front of the radiator and behind the grills so its suffice to say that the scoops do work almost as the cone filter itself, gracias TDi
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #90
acewiza
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Did a little playing around tonight.
And another good, efficient, stock CAI goes bye-bye. What fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #91
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Ace mind if I ask what beef you hv w TDi? I tend to stay out of issues between persons but damn you guys must love each other or something you tend to to agree and disagree with each other and that in turn sends negative feedback in the forum Whatever it is lets be ALL of us be PROACTIVE!! for the benefit of our cars and to others ok!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #92
acewiza
Banned
Rep

Don't mind me - just a troll trying to help people.

Don't really know why I bother sometimes...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #93
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

LOL just what I thought
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #94
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
Don't mind me - just a troll trying to help people.

Don't really know why I bother sometimes...
Here's a funny troll sequence from Monty Python.

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #95
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

It seems like it would be/is impossible to troll and help people at the same time, so I would say just trolling. The general e90 section seems more fit for trolling anyhow, more "reward" at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #96
acewiza
Banned
Rep

The Trollees Speak Out!

You can't help people that don't want to be helped - proven fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
...so I would say just trolling.
You know what they say about opinions!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #97
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

is like ASsHOLES everyone has one LOL!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #98
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
@TDIwyse, have you given any though to modifying the stock suction silencer box to fit the catch can in that position? How much contact does it seem like there would there be? Significant reduction of box volume if it were altered to fit?

@acewiza. For the sake of getting you back on topic since you are trying to be so helpful, have you pulled your charge pipe to check for oil being blown through the intercooler? None there? Sorry if you've posted this,but I haven't reread all of your posts lately. I understand your point I that the carbon buildup ahead of the swirl flaps is not necessarily directly related to carbon buildup at the valves, but that doesn't mean that oil coming through the IC, by the throttle body, through the EGR, and back into the engine through the intake manifold (coating everything along the way) is a non-issue.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-07-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #99
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Post 33 in response to Hoooper

Quote:
I don't think he knows WTF he's talking about.
Post 39 after being extended some "olive branches" for encouraging peace.

Quote:
No, Hooper's out of line because he is feeding you bad information. You go right on with it if you like.

Nissan maxima != 335d in terms of crankcase ventilation.

Not even close.

Now I'm sure he knows not WTF he's talking about and I'm done.
Post 47 again attacking Hoooper

Quote:
Your words, not mine. You might want to re-read that post. Sounds like that boost WAG was pretty damn close.

I will be the first one to admit what I don't know. You question all you like. This issue is one of the things I enjoy sorting out with a new web forum I just joined - you know, separating the poseurs from the real players, so to speak.
And it goes on...

You've said multiple times you were leaving the thread and failed to follow through with your word. You've made it clear that you don't think what is going on here is necessary or optimum, yet you keep posting extremely negative, condescending and inflammatory posts that are not helpful because you don't post any specific data/evidence related to the 335d platform. If you have specific things to say relative to the 335d platform and have quantifiable evidence to support it, GREAT! I'd love to see it and would like to help the community find some solutions to issues that are common to this platform. If you would like to start a new thread regarding your approach to solving this issue where you could contribute, then GREAT!

By the way, the car has adapted to the AEM filter and this morning I recorded a substantially higher HP number on the morning drive to work than at any other point in the vehicles life. >16 hp higher and this is on a 70F day (usually the Fall mornings with ~50F temps have given the best numbers, but they are well below this mornings number).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #100
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
@TDIwyse, have you given any though to modifying the stock suction silencer box to fit the catch can in that position? How much contact does it seem like there would there be? Significant reduction of box volume if it were altered to fit?
Yes, but there's not a lot of room in there. It would only accept a very, very small catch can.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #101
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Gracias TDi for ur input I knew that I had gained HP with the AMSOIL filter but had no data to back it up. I appreciate u coming out on this this proves to those that I was right all along on the cone filter issue. Now we need data on hotter climate whenever u can btw u never responded on stock number where u bought from. Gracial again. And Ace chill out amigo
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #102
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I appreciate TDIwyse for the pioneer he is with all the upgrades he's done, even if I don't always agree with everything he says (who does - it doesn't matter).

Perhaps, TDI, you could list all the mods and hook-ups you have with specifics in one post for those of us that will one day be beyond the warranty period and wish to play around with our cars. I'm particularly interested in mods that would prevent carbon buildup and improve fuel economy/longevity.

And we should all try not to feed the trolls.....

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #103
acewiza
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
If you would like to start a new thread regarding your approach to solving this issue where you could contribute, then GREAT!
Good luck with that!
I have a pretty good idea what's going on around here now and who's who. I'll be quite happy to mostly lurk in bemused silence except possibly for pointing out the occasional example of egregious stupidity that surfaces from time to time, thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #104
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Going along with the discussion of crankcase pressurization, there's an interesting paragraph in the SIB that was posted regarding oil consumption (in the main E90 forum): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874786

Although not specifically mentioning diesel engines, I would hazard the same applies to us: "All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized. Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect."

I wonder if our vacuum controller and system needs modifications; presumably it is helping with crankcase pressure - I haven't checked engine diagrams/realoem yet...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #105
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Gracias TDi for ur input I knew that I had gained HP with the AMSOIL filter but had no data to back it up. I appreciate u coming out on this this proves to those that I was right all along on the cone filter issue. Now we need data on hotter climate whenever u can btw u never responded on stock number where u bought from. Gracial again. And Ace chill out amigo
Here's some excellent data collection and testing of stock versus cone filters on the bmw turbo gas engines done by the maker of the JBD. It's more thorough than the little bit I've done, but shows similar results.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...92&postcount=1

http://forums.n54tech.com/showthread.php?t=13750

I'm using the shortest 4" opening AEM filter. The circumference of the MAF is a bit smaller than this and I had to use some gasketing to make up the difference to get a tight seal.

Also had to loosen the lower clamp for the intake tube and rotate it a bit to get the cone filter to fit in the space shown.

I'm not claiming that a cone filter by itself will give more power ... just on my vehicle with its mods it produced a statistically significant increase in measured power.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #106
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I appreciate TDIwyse for the pioneer he is with all the upgrades he's done, even if I don't always agree with everything he says (who does - it doesn't matter).

Perhaps, TDI, you could list all the mods and hook-ups you have with specifics in one post for those of us that will one day be beyond the warranty period and wish to play around with our cars. I'm particularly interested in mods that would prevent carbon buildup and improve fuel economy/longevity.

And we should all try not to feed the trolls.....

PL
Thanks. And yes, we've disagreed, but by comparison to this thread that seemed like watching Bob Ross paint a landscape ...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #107
335dwagon
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335D wagon

My catch can is installed and I have checked the can after 400 miles of driving the car and it works very well. Not a lot of oil in it, but some. I will take pictures of it installed on my car this weekend hopefully. The car is at BMW for a new Air Conditioning Evaporator replacement for 3 days.
      08-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #108
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwagon View Post
My catch can is installed and I have checked the can after 400 miles of driving the car and it works very well. Not a lot of oil in it, but some. I will take pictures of it installed on my car this weekend hopefully. The car is at BMW for a new Air Conditioning Evaporator replacement for 3 days.
Please post a pic of your catch can set up. Thanks. The fact that you have some oil after 400 miles only, it's significant. Gasoline N54 gets some oil after 2000 miles at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #109
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hey DOC post the pics and to whom you bought your catch can from, we are interested and if possible send a video of the job Im next in line for this as soon as u post it, gracias again for your input.

BTW how's the WAGNER IC working for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #110
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwagon View Post
That's outstanding! I'm awaiting my backup vent pipe order and approaching the yearly service so am going to wait until after that to attempt anything. But would love to see how you approached this solution.
Appreciate 0