E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering binding at low speed

08-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive

Steering binding at low speed

2009 335 sedan with Xdrive and 73,000 miles.

When turning at slow speeds, like in and out of parking spaces or my garage, my steering occasionally feels like it’s binding up and requires extra effort. It usually lasts just a second and then it’s back to normal. My mechanic checked it out, made sure all the bolts were secure and topped off the power steering fluid. He could not find anything that was causing the problem. There is also a click or tick or gentle popping noise when I turn the steering wheel at very slow speeds. My mechanic and I agree that this noise seems to be coming from the steering column under the dash, not from the steering rack or suspension. This noise could be unrelated to the extra steering effort.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Have you ever changed your transfercase fluid?
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Have you ever changed your transfercase fluid?
No. Why?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Intermediate shaft, had the same issue seems like a issue with these cars
      08-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduker456 View Post
No. Why?
When the fluid has higher miles, the friction modifiers wear out. This causes the transfercase to bind when turning (because the clutches don't slip effectively), which makes the steering feel like its binding, especially at low speeds.

Its at least worth looking into, the fluid is cheap and at 70k miles its nearly time to replace it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
When the fluid has higher miles, the friction modifiers wear out. This causes the transfercase to bind when turning (because the clutches don't slip effectively), which makes the steering feel like its binding, especially at low speeds.

Its at least worth looking into, the fluid is cheap and at 70k miles its nearly time to replace it anyway.
The fluid may be cheap but IIRC it is a pain to change. I will consider having this done.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
Intermediate shaft, had the same issue seems like a issue with these cars
What is an intermediate shaft? Are you referring to something in the drive train or the steering?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Was off line a while. It is in your steering column look it up. Pretty sure from what you described it will be that.
      08-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
MTK24
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Try spraying some WD-40 under the boot where your steering column is located at. You should notice a white plastic attached to steering column. Spray it there and see if that helps.

Very common occurrence if there is no grease/lube between this. This should resolve your issue without spending hundreds of dollars
      08-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys

I think I may get the intermediate shaft replaced. Most of the posts I found referenced that but some of the symptoms were different. My mechanic already looked it over once and he said he lubricated everything and checked for loose bolts. He was worried he’d spend all day trying to diagnose the problem without coming up with a real fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

2006 330i with 208k km or 130k miles.

I recently encountered this problem and figured it would be worth greasing the shaft before undoing bolts in the steering system. I didnt have any play or dead spots or whining from the pump so i figured it was the stiff and sticky u-joint. The replacement shafts are pretty cheap on ebay ($50) but i didn't want to mess around with that if cleaning/greasing might tune it up for a bit. I lifted and supported the front of the car so I could move the wheels freely. Wheel removal is not required for this job.

To access the U-Joints I removed:
Air intake (2 torx screws, t-20)
Airbox (2 10mm hex bolts, loosen clamp on intake boot, unplug sensor)
Intake Boot to Throttle (loosen clamp)
Power steering reservoir (2 10mm bolts, move out of the way)

With all these removed there is just enough room for a normal sized spray can and straw to be placed right beside the joint to allow for targeted spraying.

I then had a pretty good view of the U-Joints. Wow there was a lot of grime on the lower one, we get some pretty rough winters here in Toronto. I used some WD40 to 'clean' the U-joints first, and then a shop rag to clean off whatever grime I could touch. This loosened it up some, but it wasn't perfect. I then used white lithium grease to liberally coat the joint and turned the wheels to access it from as many angles as I could. This seemed to lubricate it pretty well. I shot a spot of lubricant on the top u-joint as well (behind heater core lines in top right of pic). I cycled the wheel back and forth and it felt great, put the car back on the ground and took it for a drive and it felt normal once again.

I will probably touch this up in the fall with a bit more grease as I'm sure some WD40 that was sprayed is still in there and thinning the grease. I plan to do this once a year, or you can add this to your planned maintenance for replacing the air filter as there pretty much is no downside. If the problem worsens in any way (play/dead spots/etc) i'll be replacing the shaft but this is a zero-cost method as an initial step. Now get back in your car and drive it like it was meant to be driven!

Last edited by leif20; 05-09-2019 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
drawz77.50
nky6.50
      05-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
TRSpitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: S50 Z3M & S54 Z4M Roadsters

If it is a slight judder when doing a U turn then the transfer case fluid is the way to go. Does it do it when you have the wheel held at full lock and are moving the car or does it do it when you are actively turning the wheel (not yet at full lock). If it is sticking while you are turning the wheel, I guess it could be one of the steering column U joints. If it does it when moving forward with the wheel already fully turned, I would guess transfer case/transfer case fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
bradwww
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

Smile Fixed

leif20 Your instructions were perfect, problem solved. thank you!
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #14
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

leif20 How is this fix holding up for you?

I did this using some WD-40 degreaser (the dedicated degreaser product) and Super Lube spray lubricant. Worked well for several months (albeit with limited mileage), but it's getting heavy/stiff again. Either the grease washed out or I didn't clean it thoroughly enough. I think this time I'll try some version of a penetrant + perhaps silicone lube? Not a fan of regular WD-40 or white lithium grease (makes a mess, attracts dirt), but if it's held up well for you, I might try it. I don't think this u-joint is supposed to have any external grease, so whatever goes on should probably just prevent corrosion and keep dirt out.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #15
Mark963
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
A friend drove my car recently and pointed out the stiff steering (he has a few E90's). I noticed that the stiffness built to peak between 1/4 and 1/2 way around and then would kind of let go. Then I moved the steering wheel back up to it's normal position and the varying tightness went away, but it might still be tight overall. Thinking maybe the most noticeable tightening is due to the upper u-joint that takes up the change in adjustable steering wheel height.

I don't see any lower steering shafts for under $300. Any update on making this last?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #16
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Mark, the joints on the steering shaft are exposed to the weather. Figure out a way to cover/boot them, and they should last forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #17
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
Mark, the joints on the steering shaft are exposed to the weather. Figure out a way to cover/boot them, and they should last forever.
It is a shame they didnt design something factory. Its right there and easy, just a double sided version of the tie end boots would be pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #18
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Fun fact: The xDrive steering shafts actually have a boot as part of the design.

Unlike the RWD shafts that have a simple U-joint on each end, the xDrive shaft has a double U-joint at the rack end with a centering yoke (ball in socket) that is covered by a boot. Despite this, every single one I’ve come across has been totally f*cked. The boot is usually torn or otherwise compromised so that water and dirt have gotten into the yoke.

Even on the xDrive shaft the U-joints themselves are exposed though.

I bought a new one from FCP and haven’t looked back. Unless you can get it really cheap, I wouldn’t even bother with used.
      07-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #19
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Is the boot that you're talking about the plastic cover around the racks input shaft? Or is there something else?

I picked one of these up for cheap from a junkyard car a long time ago to replace the one in my car to fix steering play, though these days it's minor enough for me not to mind so never did it.

I noticed this shafts double cardan joint binds up too. Would be great if someone figured out how to replace these U-joints. BMW has pretty much made every joint stacked and non serviceable
Attached Images

07-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #20
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Is the boot that you're talking about the plastic cover around the racks input shaft? Or is there something else?

I picked one of these up for cheap from a junkyard car a long time ago to replace the one in my car to fix steering play, though these days it's minor enough for me not to mind so never did it.

I noticed this shafts double cardan joint binds up too. Would be great if someone figured out how to replace these U-joints. BMW has pretty much made every joint stacked and non serviceable
Boot is between the double cardan joint, just behind that wide metal ring that runs between the joints (right side of pic).
      07-24-2021, 02:14 PM   #21
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I see, my car doesn't have it and neither did the cars I've seen at the junkyard. I wonder if not all models got it.

I got curious and decided to clean up this shaft and see what is the issue with it binding. It seems the double cardan joint has rubber boots like a balljoints and one of them is completely destroyed in the side that points towards the steering wheel. Serious binding now after cleaning it. Maybe this boot ripping is the issue most people have? Definitely not fixable at all if it happens because the joints are stacked. Maybe greasing it periodically is a solution as stated above
Attached Images

07-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #22
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
I see, my car doesn't have it and neither did the cars I've seen at the junkyard. I wonder if not all models got it.

I got curious and decided to clean up this shaft and see what is the issue with it binding. It seems the double cardan joint has rubber boots like a balljoints and one of them is completely destroyed in the side that points towards the steering wheel. Serious binding now after cleaning it. Maybe this boot ripping is the issue most people have? Definitely not fixable at all if it happens because the joints are stacked. Maybe greasing it periodically is a solution as stated above
Sorry not sure what you mean about not having it? The rubber boot that’s torn on your shaft is the one I’m referring to. Seems to have been torn on all the shafts I came across too. I suppose my first post was a bit unclear in that the boot doesn’t actually cover the u-joint.

Before I replaced the shaft, I did clean up the ball joint under the boot and greased it well. Definitely helped quiet down the noise I was hearing but eventually it came back. Glad I replaced it. Expensive but worth it.