E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone here switch from Volvo to BMW ownership



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Post Anyone here switch from Volvo to BMW ownership

I'm about to replace my S60 D5 with an E91 320d.
Might be a bit of a random post I Just wondered if anyone else here had made the same (or similar) switch...if so how to the two brands compare? I've never owned a BMW before...perhaps I'm getting cold feet over it.
I like Volvo (Have owned them for the last 10 years) and will be sorry to leave the swede manufacturer but imho the newer ones are not the same since FORD have had a hand in things.

My BMW driving experience so far has been solely M cars, belonging to friends of mine over the years.
E36 M3 cab and coupe, E46 M3 Cab and Coupe, E92 M3 DCT and Manual and Z4 M coupe....I've not driven any NON-M BMWs


My Boss has a 320d SE (the same model I'm after) and have just been out and had a good look around his one inside and out..I liked the pop-up cargo net and the neat storage holes, plus the power socket in the boot will be handy. His one has material seats that feel comfy, so now I've sat in one I'm not to fussed about leather but it would be a bonus if I could get a leather spec'ed one (I do like leather seats).
It was nice to look around it without a salesperson asking "well what do you think?" every 30secs.

If I have time I'll have a drive of it after work tonight and see how it compares to my S60 D5, I do expect it to perform about the same but with a more direct "feel" to the steering/suspension..The Volvo is nice and soft, definitely set-up for comfort above all.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Dc88
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 328i Cab
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

You hit the nail on the head when you say "not the same since Ford".

I had two Volvos back to back...a 850 turbo and a s70 turbo. Very fast and comfortable cars. The 850 was GREAT! In fact this was and still is the only car I kept for a long time...over 170 clicks! No issues at all! I traded it in for essentially the same car that is faster, brand new.. S70. Mistake. Ford obviously had input on the manufacturing on the S70! Engine was still good but short cuts were everywhere.

Wind was coming in from inside door handles, sunroof creak, dash noise, seats squeaked. Overall, the fit and finish was not very good and the car was not as tight as the previous one (with 170 clicks). The s70 was in fact one of the first cars that was produced during the transition. It felt really "north American" in a stereotypical and bad way. This was a big surprise to me since the s70 is basically a refreshed 850 so I thought there was no was ford could mess it up. Was I wrong! I ended up trading in the s70 after less than 2 years for a new BMW 320i and never looked back after 7 BMWs (and counting).

Volvos are still decent cars but compared to a BMW, there is nothing to get Buyer's remorse over. You will love you new BMW driving experience!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

I hear you, I loved my old 850 T5 (MTE Remapped) wagon.
It is to date the only car i've regretted selling.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
theblackmamba
Banned
60
Rep
2,287
Posts

Drives: 0
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1

iTrader: (8)

In my old 335i -- I raced a S60-t5 -- fast as shit car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
1024
Rep
12,740
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (28)

I had the chance to get a 1998 Volvo station wagon with 50,000 on the clock for 1,000$
It was just a baby.
I kick myself for not going for it last month....ugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc88 View Post
You hit the nail on the head when you say "not the same since Ford".

I had two Volvos back to back...a 850 turbo and a s70 turbo. Very fast and comfortable cars. The 850 was GREAT! In fact this was and still is the only car I kept for a long time...over 170 clicks! No issues at all! I traded it in for essentially the same car that is faster, brand new.. S70. Mistake. Ford obviously had input on the manufacturing on the S70! Engine was still good but short cuts were everywhere.

Wind was coming in from inside door handles, sunroof creak, dash noise, seats squeaked. Overall, the fit and finish was not very good and the car was not as tight as the previous one (with 170 clicks). The s70 was in fact one of the first cars that was produced during the transition. It felt really "north American" in a stereotypical and bad way. This was a big surprise to me since the s70 is basically a refreshed 850 so I thought there was no was ford could mess it up. Was I wrong! I ended up trading in the s70 after less than 2 years for a new BMW 320i and never looked back after 7 BMWs (and counting).

Volvos are still decent cars but compared to a BMW, there is nothing to get Buyer's remorse over. You will love you new BMW driving experience!

You are right there, the wind noise (and general road noise) is worse on the S60 than it was on my old 850 T5...They don't soundproof them as well as they used too.
As you say, they engine is great but you can see,touch,feel and hear where the shortcuts are being made.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
If I have time I'll have a drive of it after work tonight and see how it compares to my S60 D5, I do expect it to perform about the same but with a more direct "feel" to the steering/suspension..The Volvo is nice and soft, definitely set-up for comfort above all.

It was exactly as expected.

And so the hunt begins.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
r3dbimmer89
Major
r3dbimmer89's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
1,107
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 + MK VII Golf
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

So how do you feel now that Ford has sold them off to Geely...
__________________
Past: BMW, Lexus, Merc, VW
Present: Porsche, Merc
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
So how do you feel now that Ford has sold them off to Geely...
I feel a bit "meh" tbh as Ford have done the damage for about 10 years (Geely took over in 2010 AFAIK), I can't see Volvo getting back to what it was now (I HOPE I'm proven wrong), only time will tell.

http://www.carnewschina.com/category/brands/geely/
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Just one question for the moment, The SE I drove tonight had DTC...do they all have that?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
y2blade
New Member
y2blade's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: S60 D5
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
Just one question for the moment, The SE I drove tonight had DTC...do they all have that?

I've found the answer to my own question, looks like all the SE spec have DTC.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
wdlfbio
Captain
47
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maple Valley, WA

iTrader: (1)

Went from a 2003 S60 to a 2006 328 xi. Then to a 2008 M3, a 2012 335xi, and now a Z4 35is that replaced the M3. The bimmers are certainly stiffer and we feel the road more, but so much more fun. Did I mention so much more fun?
__________________
'16 235i
'15 3500 HD Dually
'13 C4S
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
E90_boostjunky's Avatar
68
Rep
1,644
Posts

Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA, IL

iTrader: (1)

good post! I drove a 2005 Volvo S60 R for 3 years. I bought it with only 14,000 Miles and when i sold it, it had 93,000 miles. it was awesome that thing had a lot of power! anyway i didnt have to many problems with it, i drove it very hard all the time, i had few problems with my wheel bearings on the rear tires, luckily i had warranty for only 1 year of ownership so it was covered but then i had problems with my differential and brakes they were expensive to replace, it wasnt a bad car i miss it from time to time. But a BMW is really a huge step up, it drives completley different it feels more planted on the road, its really the ultimate driving experience. It's not a lot more to maintain i cant lie they feel relaible as long as you do normal maintenance. depending on what you want to get its going to cost more to maintain, i have a 335i, and Especially with all the mods you can get on this forum its hard to save money haha. anyway good luck on what u do!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
rrpeinha
New Member
rrpeinha's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Alabama

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1993 BMW 850i  [0.00]
Completely agree with the posts above. For daily driver, went from '98 S70->'04 C70->'08 335

Volvo's are/were great cars, and I do miss the S70 (212k miles when I sold it after college, and other than regular type maintenance, no large problems to speak of). Could definitely tell the quality slipping with the C70, but still a great car (140k miles when I got rid of it).

Quote:
But a BMW is really a huge step up, it drives completley different it feels more planted on the road, its really the ultimate driving experience.
Couldn't have stated it any better.

I haven't had any remorse since I made the change to the BMW, and while Volvo will always "hold a special place", I foresee being a BMW driver for a long time to come.
__________________
2008 Crimson Red 335i| Beige Leather| Light Poplar Trim| Premium| Sport| CA| Heated Seats| Shades| PDC| Active Cruise| iDrive| Alarm
1993 Black 850i
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST